996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Performance (or Drift) Box at Infineon

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 05:23 PM
tdf360 is an unknown quantity at this point
Performance (or Drift) Box at Infineon

I see a lot of 6-speeders have bought either the Driftbox or the Performance Box. Has anyone done a track day at Infineon and saved the track map? It would save me the effort when I take my PB there next month.

TIA,

Gary

Old 02-23-2007, 12:00 PM
Nobody? All of you just do acceleration runs? Any track maps other than Infineon available?

Old 02-24-2007, 07:51 AM
manalex is on a distinguished road
I've got Roebling Road in GA...

Let me know if you want it

Old 02-24-2007, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by manalex
I've got Roebling Road in GA...

Let me know if you want it
Thanks! It's unlikely but I'll let you know if I do. Did you find it pretty easy to set, save, and reload?

Gary

Old 02-25-2007, 01:24 PM
Getting permission to access the track during the down time was the most difficult part of the process. Just to make sure I got it right, I went around two times on the inside and two times around the outside at about 30 mph. Using the software, you then pick the two best for the circuit. I had to do some minor editing but that was easy. Once that was done it loaded up pretty easily.

The problem I found was that some of my runs fell outside the circuit that I created. The documentation (which sucks) said that this might happen-although I don't completely understand why. I think it had something to do with the difference between the time of day during the data collection for the individual runs and the circuit itself-apparently that can introduce errors in the process.

Alex

Old 02-25-2007, 01:41 PM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
I found this exact same error this week end on the track while reading data from a Driftbox during practice sessions. We were getting abnormal lines on the DB that did not really make sense since they would have suggested that we ran off the track when we didn't. It could have been a satellite issue had the AX22 we also used not been accurate, but our AX22 data was spot on. There must be some setting that needs to be done on the device I guess.

Old 02-25-2007, 06:46 PM
Here's what the manual for the Performance Box says under Aligning Circuit Overlays and Laps:

"The standard positional accuracy of the Performance Box is 3M 95% CEP for Longitude and Latitude. CEP - circle error probable.

95% CEP means 95% of the time the position readings will be within a circle of diameter 3M of the true position. This error is due to the changing state of the ionosphere, constantly changing the time taken for the satellite signals to reach the earth.

This means that overlaid laps may appear to miss the edges of the track, especially if the laps or overlay were logged several hours apart. In order to be able to view true drive lines, right-click on the Graph Map. The option to align either the lap data or overlay appears - using the keyboard cursor keys the runs can be correctly aligned".

Trouble is that when you try to align the laps in part of the circuit it mis-aligns another area. Also, if your trying to analyze the line you've taken, how could you make such a correction and come away with a valid analysis? This really makes me question the unit's accuracy.

Old 02-25-2007, 11:15 PM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
Manalex,

I think it is possible for these GPS based devices to show some errors due to satellite signal pick up or such, however this is when the accelerometers in theory come into play to make the lines more accurate and the line will be a combinaiton of both I believe. The changes in Ionosphere would impact all satellite based devices similarily, however our AX22 was very accurate and we are overlaying lines of different track days with amazing accuracy (same driver, same car).

Old 02-25-2007, 11:40 PM
I think it's more than just the accelerometers. I was just reading a bit more about this-it seems that the differences may be in the post processing of the GPS data within the unit itself, i.e. the software.

It sounds like the AX22 does it right.

Alex

Old 02-26-2007, 12:24 AM
ace996 is on a distinguished road
The AX22 is a better system, but not needed for most drivers. The PB is a great system for a majority of people, quite accurate, but not at the same level as the dedicated loggers.
Don't sweat it.
-TK