996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Question: GT2/TT Wheels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 09:57 AM
kfitz911 has a spectacular aura aboutkfitz911 has a spectacular aura about
Question Question: GT2/TT Wheels

Pardon my ignorance, but will the GT2 rear wheels fit on a TT? Looking to get another set of stock, hollow spoke TT wheels so I can have a painted set (Gloss Black) and a stock set to change between, especially if I don't like the way it turns out. Occasionally see sets of GT2 wheels in either the GT3 style or twist advertised here or on eBay. Would like to know if they'd be an option despite the extra inch of width on the rears. Where is that inch, on the inside, outside, or split between the two? Would I have to get my fenders rolled?

Appreciate the feedback greatly and thanks!

Kevin

Old 03-01-2007, 11:07 AM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Kevin...that is a definite maybe. Some on this board have had great success with the GT2's on a TT. I am not one of them.I have a set and they would not fit in the rear without cutting a large portion of my inner fender liner to prevent rubbing. I have stock susp and my fenders are not rolled. Just driving them on the street I had no probs with the cut fender liner, but at the roadcourse I was slicing the outer edge of my MPSC tires....not good. The fronts are not an issue, but until I get an aftermarket suspension I am relegating my GT2 rears to Drag Radial duty only since the compression isnt such an issue. Give Tom Kerr a shout, he runs those rims and runs harder than anyone on this board with his many track days and he has had great results. Kevin

Old 03-01-2007, 11:37 AM
KPG,

That is what I was afraid of. Thanks very much for the reply and I'll continue my search for a set of stock TT hollow spokes with no curb rash. If you or anyone knows of any, with or without tires, feel free to contact.

Sincerely, Kevin

Old 03-01-2007, 12:26 PM
ROCK is just really niceROCK is just really niceROCK is just really niceROCK is just really niceROCK is just really nice
I Have The Gt2 Wheels/tires In My 01tt. No Issues. Perfect. Although I'm Using The Tires They Came With...i Don't Know If With The New Michelin Ps2 I Will Have Issues...look For The Pictures I Posted A Couple Of Days Ago Under: "996 Doesn't Get Old"

Old 03-01-2007, 12:47 PM
RiA
RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !
I could be wrong, but I didn't think the GT2 wheels were hollow - I thought they were built for added strength...

Old 03-01-2007, 12:52 PM
DERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of light
They are solid spoke

Old 03-01-2007, 01:43 PM
zona will become famous soon enoughzona will become famous soon enough
Kevin,

These will fit, but you may have to roll the fenders. The 1" additional width is split 50/50 or 1/2"-1/2". The GT2 wheels are not hollow, so they are a little heavier. Also the GT2's run different size tires than the TT's 315's on the rear and 235's on the front, so they are a little wider and taller than the TT's. The GT2 front wheels are 1/2" wider, but have a more agressive offset that pushes the wheel further out that the TT front wheel.
-z

Originally Posted by kfitz911
Pardon my ignorance, but will the GT2 rear wheels fit on a TT? Looking to get another set of stock, hollow spoke TT wheels so I can have a painted set (Gloss Black) and a stock set to change between, especially if I don't like the way it turns out. Occasionally see sets of GT2 wheels in either the GT3 style or twist advertised here or on eBay. Would like to know if they'd be an option despite the extra inch of width on the rears. Where is that inch, on the inside, outside, or split between the two? Would I have to get my fenders rolled?

Appreciate the feedback greatly and thanks!

Kevin

Old 03-01-2007, 03:15 PM
Great info - good to know! Not keen on rolling the fenders, so the plan is to keep my eyes peeled for standard TT wheels. If the GT2 setup would've been painless, that would've broadened my possibilities, choice wise. But, there are far more hollow spoke TT wheels out there for sale than GT2's, I'd guess.

Thanks again for the details! This forum is fantastic!

Anyone know of a set, since on the topic?

Kevin

Old 03-01-2007, 04:03 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by KPG
Kevin...that is a definite maybe. Some on this board have had great success with the GT2's on a TT. I am not one of them.I have a set and they would not fit in the rear without cutting a large portion of my inner fender liner to prevent rubbing. I have stock susp and my fenders are not rolled. Just driving them on the street I had no probs with the cut fender liner, but at the roadcourse I was slicing the outer edge of my MPSC tires....not good. The fronts are not an issue, but until I get an aftermarket suspension I am relegating my GT2 rears to Drag Radial duty only since the compression isnt such an issue. Give Tom Kerr a shout, he runs those rims and runs harder than anyone on this board with his many track days and he has had great results. Kevin
I think you are fine with no fender rolling or wheel well work if you drive them on the street.
On the track there are a whole lot of considerations and they may cause problems.
My take on the track is my fenders didnt need rolled and my rear fender is just over 25 inches off the ground.
I had the EVO silicone boost hoses and the tire rubbed a hole in the left rear turbo boost hose. So I went back to factory and no problems so far.

hope some of this makes sense and/or helps

tom

Old 03-01-2007, 05:12 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Kevin,

Welcome to 6speed!!
We may have met at the "wine tour" last year but you had your
underpowered "non-turbo" Porsche so myself and LuisSr. may have
shunned you.

Kidding of course,

Hope to see you at events this summer.

Marty K.

Old 03-01-2007, 07:54 PM
Thanks Marty - you probably did shun me due to only having a naturally aspirated Porsche!

Anyhow, after further comments and suggestions, may include the GT2 wheels in my search as I most likely will not be tracking the car or aggressively lowering it. May end up getting a GIAC stage 1 and a short shift installed, but that is the dream as of now. First order is to find wheels with a fairly low priority placed on even that mission. Actually, the chip upgrade and shifter might come first! Never know!

So, if anyone knows of TT hollow spokes w/o curb rash or GT2, twists or GT3 style, with or without tires, let me know.

Thanks again everyone!!

Kevin