996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

HELP>>>DEALER trying to void my warranty...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 05:13 PM
Banned
BA996TT is on a distinguished road
HELP>>>DEALER trying to void my warranty...

As some of you know my car stopped running a few days ago (2003 996TT Tip). The car feels like it is starving for fuel.

I had it towed into the dealer and they called today and said that they want to void the warranty because 1. I have aftermarket headers and exhaust, 2. Bailey DV's, 3. this is a kicker, THE CAR IS TOO CLEAN UNDERNEATH, and 4. the computer bolts were loose and they removed the computer and it has a chip in the computer from 1997 (it is a 2003!!!).

I have 3 months left on the warranty so I told him just put it under my extended warranty instead. I bought the car used and have no idea about this computer. I am VERY **** about my cars and get them detailed every month, EVEN THE UNDERSIDE.

What recourse has anyone done to a dealer who wants to void the warranty.

THANKS

Old 02-28-2007, 05:18 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
A dealer that will give you that line of crap isnt worth your time. They will work for you ...or against you. They clearly made their choice. Find a dealer that is more amenable to mods. Still not sure how headers, exhaust or DV's affect the fuel system...the ECU chip is a problem though...Good luck.Kevin

Old 02-28-2007, 10:49 PM
Banned
I had my attorney do some research and called Bosch who makes the ECU. They infact said that AMD makes the chip in the ECU and they buy THOUSANDS of chips and the 1997 is the year it was copyrighted.

Bosch also told my attorney since the dealer opened the ECU, THE DEALER just voided my warranty on the ECU!!!! This is going to get interesting...

I am going to the dealer tomorrow and I will let you guys know what happens.

Old 03-01-2007, 01:41 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
I think the tactic has to be getting to them in a very convincing matter PRIOR to them getting painted into a corner.

The BS about the chip being copyrighted should be turned into a major shot across their bow.... they need to know that you will not take crap and they need to be very careful before throwing around garbage like "voiding the warranty". There is no such thing- they are trying to blanket claim that any problems- as yet undefined- are due to these mods.... there needs to be a cause and effect relationship between the mod and the failure to deny the claim.

Hang tough.

A

Old 03-01-2007, 08:13 AM
Banned
Origyns 973 is a splendid one to beholdOrigyns 973 is a splendid one to beholdOrigyns 973 is a splendid one to beholdOrigyns 973 is a splendid one to beholdOrigyns 973 is a splendid one to beholdOrigyns 973 is a splendid one to beholdOrigyns 973 is a splendid one to behold
http://www.donmar.com/ConsumerBillofRights.htm

That might be able to help you.

Old 03-01-2007, 09:16 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Find another dealer.

Old 03-01-2007, 10:17 AM
lexpro is a jewel in the roughlexpro is a jewel in the roughlexpro is a jewel in the rough
This webpage from SEMA is helpful: http://www.sema.org/main/semaorghome.aspx?ID=50096
This will not likely be easy for you, since the dealer and PNA do not warrant equipment that is not theirs or cover factory equipment that has a problem resulting from aftermarket parts. You may have to take the dealer/PNA to court. If you are successful in court, you can recover your costs under Magnuson Moss Consumer Product Warranty Act. However, from the way you have described this, it sounds like the dealer has a reasonable position in denying you warranty coverage.
Maybe your best bet is to take the car to an independent porsche service center.

Old 03-01-2007, 03:23 PM
Banned
Thumbs up

First I would like to say THANKS to all the guys on the board who gave me very good ammo to go to the dealer with.

NEXT the issues have been solved. The problem with the car is NOT the ECU or my exhaust or my headers.

IT WAS THE FUEL PUMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I told the dealer that was the problem in the first place. They are covering the fuel pump and new fuel filter under Porsche warranty.

All that BS over nothing.

Thanks again for all your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ROB

Old 03-01-2007, 03:31 PM
Banned
amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !
I live in Maryland as well and am curious as to which dealer was giving you the hard time. I am looking to install Bailey DV in my car in the very near future. If you don't feel comfortable putting the dealership name out there, would you be willing to PM me?

Old 03-01-2007, 03:58 PM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
lol, Are you sure you want them to do the repair?

Sounds like they know F all about their own cars!

Old 03-01-2007, 04:06 PM
Banned
Origyns 973 is a splendid one to beholdOrigyns 973 is a splendid one to beholdOrigyns 973 is a splendid one to beholdOrigyns 973 is a splendid one to beholdOrigyns 973 is a splendid one to beholdOrigyns 973 is a splendid one to beholdOrigyns 973 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by BA996TT
First I would like to say THANKS to all the guys on the board who gave me very good ammo to go to the dealer with.

NEXT the issues have been solved. The problem with the car is NOT the ECU or my exhaust or my headers.

IT WAS THE FUEL PUMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I told the dealer that was the problem in the first place. They are covering the fuel pump and new fuel filter under Porsche warranty.

All that BS over nothing.

Thanks again for all your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ROB
Thats good to hear man, although since they've given you trouble I highly recommend you spend some time and venture around the local Porsche dealerships in your vicinity, and see which one is the friendliest. See what the service writer is like and the service manager.

Old 03-01-2007, 04:20 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Take this as a warning sign to not take it back there.

Also hope that haven't documented anything that another dealer cannot ignore... not sure how it works with PCNA...

A

Old 03-01-2007, 07:49 PM
lexpro is a jewel in the roughlexpro is a jewel in the roughlexpro is a jewel in the rough
Interesting and welcome outcome. How did they discover the problem was the fuel pump and that it was covered under the warranty?

Old 03-01-2007, 09:01 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by lexpro
Interesting and welcome outcome. How did they discover the problem was the fuel pump and that it was covered under the warranty?
I told them it was the fuel pump. They disconnected the fuel filter line and tried to start the car and no fuel was getting to the filter.

I would like not to take it back to that dealer, but the only other dealer close, caught my 02 996TT ON FIRE!!!! SOOOO this is the only one close to me in a 75 mile radius. I only have 3 months left on the Porsche warranty and my extended warranty will fix anything even if I do decide to get it chipped.

ROB

Old 03-01-2007, 09:06 PM
Banned
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by amerlemans
I live in Maryland as well and am curious as to which dealer was giving you the hard time. I am looking to install Bailey DV in my car in the very near future. If you don't feel comfortable putting the dealership name out there, would you be willing to PM me?
PM sent.....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HELP>>>DEALER trying to void my warranty...