996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

The Lowdown on Cosmoline Removal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 01:32 AM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
The Lowdown on Cosmoline Removal

Guys,
I am really getting tired of the appearance of the cosmoline on the underside of my engine. Remember, I park under the car regularly so I look up and see it almost daily. I have hit the wall!!

I have heard of Zymol Strik which is specifically formulated for cosmoline.

http://www.zymol.com/strik2.htm

Has anyone tried this? If so, how does it work? How much elbow grease?

Any other products and techniques that are more appropriate?

Any help is appreciated.

Old 03-10-2004, 01:39 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Re: The Lowdown on Cosmoline Removal

Originally posted by KPV
Guys,
I am really getting tired of the appearance of the cosmoline on the underside of my engine. Remember, I park under the car regularly so I look up and see it almost daily. I have hit the wall!!

I have heard of Zymol Strik which is specifically formulated for cosmoline.

http://www.zymol.com/strik2.htm

Has anyone tried this? If so, how does it work? How much elbow grease?

Any other products and techniques that are more appropriate?

Any help is appreciated.
You could always get a new/better/strengthened block/case

Old 03-10-2004, 01:41 AM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
Huh?

Old 03-10-2004, 01:47 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally posted by KPV
Huh?
Sorry I was just being a smart-*** (not a good one either) just saying swap out the cosmoline coated engine part for a beefier but clean one is all... Ignore me, it's the late night crack.

Old 03-10-2004, 05:17 AM
msindi is on a distinguished road
did you see that pic of Oak's undercarriage?? I believe he used the Strik too

Old 03-10-2004, 05:17 AM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Ken: Yours is pretty baked on by now in some spots. I would try using some mineral spirits with a small plastic bristle brush to loosen it and use rags soaked with mineral spirits with elbow grease to remove the scourge. It worked well on my car. Do a search on the R board for "cosmoline", there is a discussion of other cleaning agents being used...

Old 03-10-2004, 05:19 AM
JASCLASS will become famous soon enoughJASCLASS will become famous soon enough
Ken, Wurth makes a product that is excellent for it.

Old 03-10-2004, 06:32 AM
Bob M is on a distinguished road
Ken-
Oak explained what he went throught to clean the cosmo off his engine on the R-list a while back. The pictures posted at that time were amazing. The outcome was the most pristine 996tt motor I had ever seen. As I recall, he did use some kind of cleaner, but that elbow grease was the main "ingredient" in the process. You might want to find that thread and/or have a conversation with him about it. If you do find something that works well and reduces the bicep/tricep factor, I'd love to hear about it. I have been thinking of going after the undercarrage myself.

Old 03-10-2004, 06:49 AM
Arnie is on a distinguished road
I have removed my cosmoline from my wheel wells on all my porsches. Only one thing works the best. Oil Flow solvent. Go to CARCare online.com he has it also Powertech in Rockaway has it. You can use full strength or dilute it with water. You will not be disapointed

Arnie

Old 03-10-2004, 08:17 AM
TCM
TCM will become famous soon enough
The Zymol Strik is ok, not overly aggressive in its removal of the cosmoline. I am a Zymol nut, but I actually prefer the Citrus Degresser (forget the exact name now) available at Home Depot. The stuff works instantly and saves a lot of time. That being said, if you even have a chance of driving your car with some salt on the road, I would reccommend against doing this. Tha cosmoline helps protect the undercarraige from a lot of corrosion and other specific things. I would leave it on unless you only drive this car in the summer. Hope this helps.