996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Autocar mag: DB9 v. Gallardo v. 996 Turbo X50

Old 03-16-2004, 12:38 PM
Banned
Chordate is an unknown quantity at this point
Autocar mag: DB9 v. Gallardo v. 996 Turbo X50

Old 03-16-2004, 12:46 PM
Banned
This article makes me wonder.... who would win in a straight line Upsolute Turbo vs. X50 Turbo?

Old 03-16-2004, 12:52 PM
Fanman is on a distinguished road
Nice Write Up

Nice article. The DB9 is definitely a nice car. The numbers are kind've strange though, as the 911 TT X50 beats the Gallardo to 60, to 100, and barely behind it to 150 (.2 sec.) yet in the 1/4 mi. it is .5 sec. behind it and going 3 mph faster ???

Old 03-16-2004, 01:07 PM
Banned
StephenTi is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by mehrabani1
This article makes me wonder.... who would win in a straight line Upsolute Turbo vs. X50 Turbo?
There's nothing to wonder about... my Upsolute with exhaust dyno'd 455 whp and 505 ft-lb. I can also pull from a stock GT2. Therefore, I'd imagine that I should be able to pull from a X50 no problems.

BTW, great article. Pretty good writer. I thought his observations were pretty dead on.

Stephen
'01 Turbo Ti Upsolute
1stephen1.com

Last edited by StephenTi; 03-16-2004 at 04:04 PM.
Old 03-16-2004, 01:11 PM
AeroTT is on a distinguished road
The DB9 is absolutely GORGEOUS!

Old 03-16-2004, 01:21 PM
Banned
Originally posted by StephenTi
There's nothing to wonder about... my Upsolute with exhaust dyno'd 455 whp and 505 ft-lb. I can also pull from a stock GT2. Therefore, I'd imagine that I should be able to pull from a X50 no problems.

Stephen
'01 Turbo Ti Upsolute
1stephen1.com
Do you like your upsolute... have you had anyproblems with it. Did you notice a huge difference when you got it compared to stock? Also, who installed it, and did they provide good service?

Thanks

Old 03-16-2004, 01:42 PM
SHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud of
Originally posted by StephenTi

Stephen
'01 Turbo Ti Upsolute
1stephen1.com

you also upsolutely pull from a 625HP SL600

Old 03-16-2004, 01:51 PM
John in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to behold
Do you like your upsolute... have you had anyproblems with it. Did you notice a huge difference when you got it compared to stock? Also, who installed it, and did they provide good service?

Thanks
He's getting 455whp ...there better be a huge difference! I haven't dynoed my car but with the Upsolute and Techart exhaust it feels ALOT faster than stock. Also, I've had no problems whatsoever ...it drives as smooth as stock!

Old 03-16-2004, 02:07 PM
Greyghost is on a distinguished road
The Aston Martin is very beautiful but the Porsche still is king of performance. Very formidable against the Lambo... nice.

Old 03-16-2004, 02:17 PM
alamein is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down

I still think it is a very odd comparison, almost a joke, i see the Aston as a Luxo-sporty coupe, similar to the MBZ CL AMGs.

Gallardo & Turbo are sports cars.

If you are in the market for a sports car, would you even consider the DB9?

better comparison may be the DB9 vs. Bentley Continental.

Old 03-16-2004, 02:17 PM
SteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud of
awesome! we have a blue on cream DB9 coming in June. I have sat in one but obviously never driven it. I'm happy the drive is up to par with the looks.

-Steve

Old 03-16-2004, 03:05 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Being a Brit, I love Aston Martins... Always have and always will but when on Earth will magazines (in Britain) stop making asses of themselves. Comparing a 4300pound heavy monster GT car to two sports cars is pretty dumb and doesn't exactly leave much in the way of suspense

Old 03-16-2004, 03:30 PM
Banned
StephenTi is on a distinguished road

Thanks
I've posted extensively on this subject, as have others. Do some searches for more info. But, to make a short of it, I've had zero issues, and it's some of the best money I've ever spent in my years of modding. And yes, difference was night and day. I don't have the most sensitive of butt dynos, but it's hard to miss the massive 505 rear wheel ft-lb as well as the additional 80 rwhp.

Illinois Dyno Center (309) 523-9200 did a great job on it. I drove there, and they had me out of there in no time. Meticulous in being careful with my car.

Back on topic though...

I tend to share the sentiments of others in that the DB9 is more of a luxo GT. Not really a trackable sports car. IMO though, the Vanquish is probably one of the best looking cars of current.

The Gallardo is still unproven, but with the Turbo's extensive history and development for its track abilities, the Gallardo would have to prove a lot to match it. It's not uncommon to hear of stock Murcielagos over-cooking their brakes at the track. They are badass machines, but perhaps not quite as track-oriented as the Turbo.

Nevertheless, while I've yet to drive a Gallardo, I'd imagine that Audi's involvement will prove to yield very positive results for Lambo in ergonomics, quality, engineering, etc. Would I take a Gallardo over a Turbo, most likely.

For street, track, and daily drivability, I'd take the Turbo. For pure pimp factor and exclusivity, I'd take the Gallardo. The Aston is probably the most beautiful of the three... but, I've still too many racing bones in my body for it. Hell, my the spring rates on my coilovers F/R are 674/900! (Stock is ~146/203 per someone's independent test, though I wonder if they are in fact progressive instead of linear springs, because those rates are very low for a sports car).

Stephen
'01 Turbo Ti Upsolute
1stephen1.com

Last edited by StephenTi; 03-16-2004 at 03:44 PM.
Old 03-16-2004, 04:51 PM
ESK
Hick from NH
ESK is on a distinguished road
I was at The Collection in Miami today for the unveiling of the Maserati Quattroporte. I gave them a deposit on a DB9 Volante for delivery around next December. Obviously, it's more of a car in the class of an SL55 rather than a Porsche, but I think Astons are some of the most beautiful cars in the world.

By the way, the Maserati is absolutely gorgeous. Beautiful looks - much better than magazines - and the fit and finish was phenominal. The car is large and had great detailing.

Old 03-16-2004, 08:00 PM
The Newest "Bling King"
Gary (Fl) is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by ESK
I was at The Collection in Miami today for the unveiling of the Maserati Quattroporte. I gave them a deposit on a DB9 Volante for delivery around next December. Obviously, it's more of a car in the class of an SL55 rather than a Porsche, but I think Astons are some of the most beautiful cars in the world.

By the way, the Maserati is absolutely gorgeous. Beautiful looks - much better than magazines - and the fit and finish was phenominal. The car is large and had great detailing.
Hey, your putting down deposits on new cars and UPS can not even find its way to your place in the ghetto ...

Good packing... huh???

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Autocar mag: DB9 v. Gallardo v. 996 Turbo X50