996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Modified OEM Muffler 996TT

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:57 AM
DaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 03EvoIII
I agree...great thread! Its always interesting to see what people do/how far they can go with the stock setup. I just did straight pipes and will be keeping the stock exhaust for emissions requirements. OR if i just get tired of the straight pipe drone one day! Lol Here's what i am doing to the stocker... I really would like to cut out the clam shell part that sits right after the cat but i dont think i can get a tool in there to do it...at least not with the access hole i currently have. We'll see though, i may still cut more of the body out and do more work. Doing more work might not make any noticeable differences in power though...who knows. The red is the cut i would like to make. The blue is exhaust flow and the green is the plate i will weld to the body to seal it back up. As it sits...the exhaust will come out and slam right into that flat section and then exit out. I imagine this would sound similar to a catted straight pipe system...just more ghetto looking. Anybody ever done the mod this way?? Regards Scot
maybe the clam keeps the super heated exhaust from hitting the outer shell directly, which might cause the bumper to overheat, even with the so called insulation. Anyhow I drilled out my pipes as well. Bought 2 SS carbide hole saws on eBay, and broke a cheap 1/2 hp new harbor freight drill in the process. Sound is better than stock, but absolutely no comparison to the growl that my C4S with PSE had.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:18 PM
03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute
^^ Dave. What is PSE? I actually cut off the entire elbow inside...so this should be much more aggressive sounding I would imagine. Good point on the clam being there...didn't think about that. I guess either way it'll be better than stock but still stock-ish. LOL

Old 09-13-2014, 10:41 PM
03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute
Hey all...figured i would post some pics here of my modded stock system this is much more doable (sound wise) for every day driving anf if you actually want to have a convo with someone in the car! The sound is MUCH lower sounding with this setup and not so harsh / crackly. Anyways heres some pics and vids.

Vids-
Before

After

Old 09-14-2014, 06:37 AM
DaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond repute
^^ Dave. What is PSE? I actually cut off the entire elbow inside...so this should be much more aggressive sounding I would imagine. Good point on the clam being there...didn't think about that. I guess either way it'll be better than stock but still stock-ish. LOL
PSE = Porsche Sport Exhaust. A little rocker switch is used to valve in the mufflers. Normally open though. The C4S was absolutely intoxicating. The modded turbo is okay at best. Your chop job on stock mufflers is sweet.

Old 09-14-2014, 02:34 PM
Thanks Dave! Yea its nice for a quick and dirty chop....sounds better for sure.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:23 AM
lobuzz311 has a spectacular aura aboutlobuzz311 has a spectacular aura about
03Evo, do you have any clips of the modded stock exhaust at speed / drive-bys?
I've been contemplating the hole mod, but this might be almost as easy & get much better sound. The questions is whether it would pass smog in CA...

Old 09-17-2014, 12:03 PM
Lobuzz311,
I've been meaning to get some drive-bys of it...with my straight pipes and with the stock modded setup. I'll try to get some this weekend and post them up. The sound is MUCH lower and smoother, more like a grumble sound and I think it sounds pretty tough. I'm certain that it will pass emissions here in Colorado atleast the sniffer, not sure on the visual though...but they don't really look at that too much here. To me...this is the best of both worlds...pass emissions, NICE sound and probably the best performance out of the stocker you'll get....whatever that's worth.

PS..I'll pull it out of the garage and get some start up of it with the modded stock exhaust. It sounds better than what the after vid up above managed to catch (audio wise). Not sure why....Iphone vids, MEH.

Last edited by 03EvoIII; 09-17-2014 at 12:08 PM.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:36 AM
caraudio1 is on a distinguished road
any support?

03evo,

Do you have any support of the modified oem exhaust? Or is it light enough now not to worry about it?

Old 12-20-2014, 11:01 AM
Originally Posted by caraudio1
03evo,

Do you have any support of the modified oem exhaust? Or is it light enough now not to worry about it?
It's light enough now to be ok. I was worried about that a little as well after initially doing my mod but after running it for for a while and checking it often, I'm pretty confident it's not going anywhere. (Unless your 4-wheeling or something )

Make sure your hardware is in good shape and not rusted / corroded.
Scot

Last edited by 03EvoIII; 12-20-2014 at 11:03 AM.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:36 PM
Evo, any progress on those sound clip videos?

Old 12-22-2014, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by lobuzz311
Evo, any progress on those sound clip videos?
I TOTALLY dropped the ball on that!! (It's been a busy few months). And now the car is apart for my winter build! DOH. Maybe I can lend them to a local 996T'er and get some vids but who knows now.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:26 PM
I TOTALLY dropped the ball on that!! (It's been a busy few months). And now the car is apart for my winter build! DOH. Maybe I can lend them to a local 996T'er and get some vids but who knows now.
Want to ship them to me? I'll make all the videos you can imagine!

Old 12-23-2014, 09:13 AM
caraudio1 is on a distinguished road
Here's a pic of a set we modded at my shop. We should be able to put them on a car after the first of the year. We might also try a "connecting tube" with a mounting tab going between them and a couple of other mods.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6519.JPG
Views:	229
Size:	530.8 KB
ID:	410372  
Old 12-23-2014, 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by caraudio1
Here's a pic of a set we modded at my shop. We should be able to put them on a car after the first of the year. We might also try a "connecting tube" with a mounting tab going between them and a couple of other mods.

NICE!!! I thought about doing a center connecting tube as well....maybe 3"? Might balance out the exhaust note and cut down on drone a tad bit.

Old 12-23-2014, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by lobuzz311
Want to ship them to me? I'll make all the videos you can imagine!
lol Well I would but I need to keep these suckers around for emissions stuff. Just do it! You'll love it!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Modified OEM Muffler 996TT