996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Straight PIPES?!?!?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2004, 05:03 AM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 will become famous soon enoughHamann7 will become famous soon enough
cjv, aren't you running that ridiculously heavy Europipe system with cats?

beautiful and welds that are as good as it gets, but heavy nonetheless. Chad, I think you of all people need Toyota mufflers.

These suckers were designed for Indy, and I think they will work for you too.

Last edited by Hamann7; 03-27-2004 at 05:09 AM.
Old 03-27-2004, 05:12 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
No sure. They are definitely heavier than straight pipes but alot less than stainless steel pipes. Tyson, they are the same pipes Manthey uses but larger (85 mm).

I am just curious what sharkster's impression is since he has heard both. Everywhere I take the car people across different age groups say they love the sound of the exhaust. It seems to be one of the first things noticed.

Old 03-27-2004, 05:16 AM
Porsche Fiend
chad, you should weight that EP exhaust, it is really heavy.

yes, i know manthey uses EP but I believe EP makes headers for the system as well and apparently they are tuned a bit different from standard EP stuff. or so they say...

my car sounds just like one of those RSR race cars you see at the track. deep and loud.

Old 03-27-2004, 05:20 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Tyson,

This exhaust is 85 mm and one of a kind. Not just size wise, but also material wise. Europipe will not make another one. KA didn't get down to approx. 3200 pounds by using over the counter components. My guess is it weighs about 30 pounds.

I have not doubt your car sounds great. I know mine sounds like no other Porsche I have ever heard. I am sure it sounds much different than yours as mine doesn't really sound like a Porsche. I was just interested in sharksters comment as he has heard both cars.

Last edited by cjv; 03-27-2004 at 05:25 AM.
Old 03-27-2004, 05:23 AM
Porsche Fiend
18 lbs with mufflers and can take far more than 700hp. Beat that.

And I seriously doubt yours weighs 30 lbs. with cats.

Old 03-27-2004, 05:40 AM
cjv
I have no doubt at 18 pounds yours weigh less. I would still like to hear sharksters comparison since he is probably the only person to have heard both cars.

Oh, these Europipe exhaust are capable of handling power in the 962 level.

Old 03-27-2004, 08:35 AM
P O R S C H E
KSA Turbo is on a distinguished road
its all about the back fire and the crazy loud music HAMANN7 and Sharky i'm definatlyin a big fan of your cars

Old 03-27-2004, 11:05 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Cheers KSA

CJV, they two cars actually sound very similair, except for the way our turbos sound. Mine are like a dentist drill and now very whooshy (thanks to my intake) where as Tyson's is just a notch deeper and probably louder even as he has no cats to muffle the sound at all. His turbos sound like John Deere tractor, you know the Garrett turbo sound... Mine weighs a total of 12 pounds. Two 100 cell cats (tiny) and a couple of light weight pipes that go striaght out. I think Tyson's is lighter? Not sure...

Because of the Turbos you have, I would think yours would sound more like Tyson's and in general both of our cars sound like GT3 Cup cars when we're on partial throttle. They're very loud indeed from the outside. When we get on it, it's ear piercing to another driver, I've been told...

Yours is much much quieter over all, especially when idling or on partial throttle. Also there's no resonance etc.. inside the cabin. Mine (and I would think Tysons too?) makes the cabin a noisy place to be indeed but I put up with it. Your car sounds more like an exotic with that exhaust, it's a very nice sound indeed. Ours sound more like GT3 Cup cars, which don't have the best sound in the world but then when we get on it, they do roar....

If you were to do straight pipes, I would do something similair to what Fabspeed/my exhaust system, where you can use a modular system to just bolt up mufflers if you want/need to and then unbolt them for straight pipes (using V-bands it takes no more than 20mins) when you want/need to.

Old 03-27-2004, 11:24 AM
cjv
sharkster,

I appreciate the comparison.

Old 03-27-2004, 02:12 PM
fredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond repute
Sharkster, you , me and Robert are all running straight pipes. I can't wait for Fast Eddie to video tape all of ours on the way to EVO. Roberts has a different tone to his since his is a non-turbo.

Old 03-27-2004, 03:00 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally posted by fredttx50
Sharkster, you , me and Robert are all running straight pipes. I can't wait for Fast Eddie to video tape all of ours on the way to EVO. Roberts has a different tone to his since his is a non-turbo.
ROFL holy **** we will be loud!!! I actually reckon Robert's being NA will be not only louder (turbos muffle ours a little) but even more raw!!!

Old 03-27-2004, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by cjv
sharkster,

I appreciate the comparison.
My pleasure. It's also worth saying that HP and weight aside it's a very subjective thing these exhausts...