996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Excess Vibration from Engine?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 08:54 AM
KJM3 is on a distinguished road
Excess Vibration from Engine?

OK, let me qualify my question by saying that I'm not some guy that doesn't like the vibration or growl of an engine. I just want to know if the car I'm thinking of buying is "Normal" or if I should be concerned.

I'm looking at a 2001 Porsche 911 Turbo with around 7,000 miles and during idle, the vibration from the engine can be felt in the seats very distinctly (in fact, you can see the seat vibrating at idle). I haven't experienced this on another car before, so I just wanted to know if this was "normal" or if I should be concerned that the engine has problems. It's not "Crazy Vibration" and the engine sounds healthy from what I can tell.

As always, your input is appreciated!!!

Thanks Guys,
KJ

Old 04-16-2004, 09:07 AM
Turbo Ron is a name known to allTurbo Ron is a name known to allTurbo Ron is a name known to allTurbo Ron is a name known to allTurbo Ron is a name known to allTurbo Ron is a name known to all
Have it checked out. No vibration on mine.

Old 04-16-2004, 09:40 AM
dmilzoff is on a distinguished road
My 03 is dead calm at idle.

Old 04-16-2004, 10:00 AM
khaiser is on a distinguished road
I have an 01 turbo, and it has 5k miles, and has no vibrations either.

Khaiser

Old 04-16-2004, 10:35 AM
Now I'm worried there is something wrong with the car. I might pull out of the deal then. After using the clutch on the 2001, I am very unhappy with it's feel. The vibration seems to be "strike 2".

It's a GREAT deal because the car was repo'ed off someone and my leasing company (with whom I am VERY connected with) is offering me an awesome deal.

I'm so torn now. =(

- KJ

Old 04-16-2004, 10:41 AM
c2blk is on a distinguished road
I have a 2002 C2, the vibration is very visible on the seats when at idle. Went to dealer and was told that this is very normal for the car... I thought it was weird too...

Old 04-16-2004, 11:08 AM
h20tt is on a distinguished road
Vibration is normal have had it since day one of my then new 02 turbo, the passenger seat vibrates , when sitting in drivers side upon cold idle

Old 04-16-2004, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by h20tt
Vibration is normal have had it since day one of my then new 02 turbo, the passenger seat vibrates , when sitting in drivers side upon cold idle
The car I drove was probably sitting around for a bit before I drove it. I drove it for about 15 minutes "semi-hard" since there was heavy traffic on the road. So my question is this, if you drove the car as much as I did in the same fashion...would it still have that vibration? Or does your car ONLY do that when the engine is STONE cold?

Thanks,
KJ

P.S. Thanks to everyone for all the input. I know I got a million and one questions, but this is a big purchase and I just don't want a lemon!!! =)

Old 04-16-2004, 12:01 PM
MKW
MKW is on a distinguished road
Warm idle should show tach needle rock steady at 780 rpm or so. Shouldn't hunt. Compared to a Lexus LS430 , you feel some motion of course . Best to test drive another Turbo for comparison.

Old 04-16-2004, 12:22 PM
ebaker is on a distinguished road
I drove several Turbos before I bought mine, some seemed to vibrate with cold idle. I don't notice it in my car now. I wouldn't worry about it, unless it's an uneven vibration. A steady buzz is probably OK.

Old 04-16-2004, 12:57 PM
skaria will become famous soon enough
I have an '01 Turbo and the passenger seats vibrate at idle whether the engine is warm or cold. In any case, I would not buy/lease a car unless it has been checked out by a dealer and have full service records. Pay the couple of hundred bucks but be content with the purchase. Also, the car is under warrantly so that should lessen your apprehensions.

Old 04-16-2004, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by skaria
I have an '01 Turbo and the passenger seats vibrate at idle whether the engine is warm or cold. In any case, I would not buy/lease a car unless it has been checked out by a dealer and have full service records. Pay the couple of hundred bucks but be content with the purchase. Also, the car is under warrantly so that should lessen your apprehensions.
The car is at Porsche for a "Pre-Purchase Inspection" as we speak, I ran a Carfax report (for FREE thanks to Gregy), and I've checked the service records from the dealer (and it's been fine).

So if all checks out OK with the "Pre-Purchase Inspection", I'll be here A LOT more! =)

- KJ

Old 04-17-2004, 07:26 AM
Joe West is on a distinguished road
DEFINITE passenger seat vibration at idle... I'm not entirely sure it isn't some harmonic of my fabspeed loud exhaust... ESPECIALLY at cold start.

OMG... what a sound... music for the ears... each morning when I crank it up and let it idle for the first 60 seconds or so.

But alas... I digress...

I do indeed see the passenger seat headrest vibrate at idle... cold or hot... and I GUARANTEE there is nothing wrong with my car. If anyone doubts... I'll take you for a ride <big grin>

Joe West

Old 04-17-2004, 07:31 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
KA shakes for about one minute when cold then settles down into a little vibration.

Old 04-17-2004, 07:43 AM
msindi is on a distinguished road
vibration of seats is normal...more noticeable if you have sports seats too

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Excess Vibration from Engine?