996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Should I dump my 996TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 04:29 PM
black996tt is on a distinguished road
Should I dump my 996TT

What a predicament. I have a 2004 996TT with 20,000 miles on it, that for the last 3 months has been in and out of the shop for about 6 times.
1- Engine Noise- They changed the A/C compressor, belts
2- Noise continued- They changed the water pump
3- Unable to fill up the tank with fuel- `it will splash back. They replace the whole piping system to the gas tank
4- 2 weeks later, unable to fill the tank again. This time it was a fuse
5- Wipers not working. fuse blown. I replaced it with a spare one and `i got a big explosion from the fuse box.
Stopped the car and when `i turned the car off and took the key out, the car engine continued running. `i had to unplug the pos terminal from the battery in order to turn offf the car. ```car was sent back to the dealer which after 2 weeks they found out that the short was in the main wire harness.
`they called `porche and they are ordering a new one that will take about 10 to 12 days to arrive !!!!!!!

Should `i trade in that car for one of the few cars that `i like the 2008 BMW M5
What you think guys `!!!!!!!

`thanks

Last edited by black996tt; 07-21-2007 at 05:11 PM.
Old 07-21-2007, 05:21 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Too bad for your issues...a bimmer will definately not solve them...much less dependable (less reliable). Perhaps you need a better dealer/shop?

Old 07-21-2007, 05:23 PM
adybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the rough
997TT, sad to see the trail of mess that those gremlins are leaving you

Old 07-21-2007, 05:25 PM
kayman is on a distinguished road
how long have you owned the car?

Old 07-21-2007, 07:58 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
keep the car, just a run of bad luck on stuff that is not really a big deal. Everyone feels like "getting rid" of the car when things go wrong, but dont through the baby out with the bath water!!!
You have an awesome car, but how do you go from a TT to an M5?? not reallyt the same type? maybe you need another car also.

Old 07-21-2007, 08:00 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
I would stick it out...perhaps asking if PCNA could send a master/guru. Audi did that for an old Audi I had and all was fixed. In the end, they might even be willing to give you a warranty extension...Audi did...1 year and 15k. I asked them in writing, politely, and sent it to corporate with a cc to the dealer saying how hard the dealer had worked for me, etc.....amazing what some niceness can get.

I traded it 4 weeks later.....but a 996TT is way cooler than my old audi. :-)

Good luck.

JB

Old 07-21-2007, 08:26 PM
carendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the rough
i have had the same feelings (my car has had as many issues as yours.) you can never convince me that german engineering is that great. unfortunately, i have so much money in the car from the mods that i would lose quite a bit.

if you won't lose too much, i'd try to get a different 996tt (or 997tt..) i still love the car but it gets very frustrating.

- chuck

Old 07-21-2007, 10:45 PM
Bodybag has a spectacular aura aboutBodybag has a spectacular aura about
Electrical problems are a *****, I feel sorry for you having to deal with any of that crap. Once they're sorted properly you'll be good forever, but chances are you've got a few more dominos that need to fall first... unless they replace the entire harness and start fresh.

My dad had Porsche's when I was a kid and never had a single issue in 20+ years of daily driving/ownership. That's what sold me on wanting a Porsche when I grew up and could afford one. I've never had a problem with any of my Porsche's that I wasn't directly to blame for .

My $.02 - Ditch it and get another to replace it so you will have a clear head about it. Don't leave the brand, Porsche's are really great cars 99.9% of the time, but every manufacturer builds a lemon on occasion

Old 07-22-2007, 12:37 PM
Yes, I believe that I got a lemon. It's just frustating all this malfunctions and repairs. My mind will be guessing " What will be next ??? Maybe , I'll continue with Porsche but with a newer model, will try for a 997TT. Hopefully, they will be able to fix this one good so I can at least trade it in with a fair value.
Thank You Guys.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:37 AM
Will all this repairs come up at the time of trade in?? Are they kept in a main computer at Porsche?? Affecting the trade in value on the car?
Thanks

Old 07-24-2007, 07:53 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Problem cars always find more problems to have, sometimes they never end, sometimes the same ones reoccur, I say dump the broad and get another, there are plenty to be had. M5 isnt a bad choice, different, but not bad, I'd get the M6 first.

Old 07-24-2007, 01:39 PM
Thank you heavy chevy. I was informed that the main harness unit that needs to be replaced is a $ 6,000.00 part without labor cost. This is under warranty but still , its a lot of dough !!!!!

Old 07-24-2007, 03:46 PM
ECB
ECB is on a distinguished road
personally...I would run the hell away.

Are you the original owner? If you just picked it up CPO/used I would put on my nikes...and THEN run away.

Maximize what the dealer will give you and buy *another* 996tt or a 997tt or whatever you want.

Old 07-24-2007, 03:54 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
I bet u did not buy it new... if so do what someone lese did >>>> loose it.

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 07-24-2007, 04:00 PM
kilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to behold
Well dont be too quick to judge, you seem like you have had alot of electrical issues, let them change the main harness and see how it goes, I am sorry for you bad luck, but it is a car and **** goes wrong.I know it can be a pain in the ***, but give them a chance to fix it....Let us know how you make out.
Good Luck

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Should I dump my 996TT