996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

FVD 996TT Programming

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 02:42 PM
Shark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really nice
Originally Posted by Turbochris
Whoa, correct me if I'm wrong.......but I don't think ANY tuner out there is gonna uprade you to a different level of software for free if you bought upgraded turbos or other parts from a different vendor......In fact.....I would question whether most of them would do it for free if you bought the parts from them.....

Sounds like a generous offer to me!

Chris
Two examples, Upsolute nor GIAC care where you buy turbos. If you buy k-24s used for $1,800 or whatever, you call Upsolute and the upcharge is $300. For GIAC, its $1,000......

Look, if they want to say its free if you buy our stuff and $500 if you buy someones elses, I'm fine with that........I just don't want to be held hostage by a tuner.

Old 07-28-2007, 02:52 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
I also had an FVD Stg2+ setup, put down sick numbers and was an all out beast!

Old 07-28-2007, 03:35 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
do you have diff programming for diff octane? I now have the fvd k24/26 racing turbos, can I get multiple programs such as 91oct and like lets say 98oct? what would the price be for multiple programs?

Old 07-28-2007, 04:22 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
If you mean by K16/24 Hybrids, just go with the X50 program.

A more important question is whether the second O2 sensor is turned off by default or an option... How does this do on a smog test?

Finally, what is the HP on K24 cars?

Originally Posted by Shark01
OK, tell me a little more......

Do I need to send you my ECU?

The way I read this, the software then would hold the following programs:
1. Stock
2. K-16 performance
3. K-24 (X-50) performance

Will there be add ons for K-16 hybrids?

What kind of mod choices are available on the software? I assume as a minimum:
1. Exhaust
2. High-flow air filter

Which Windows version is supported?

Are free program upgrade options good for the life of the car? For example if I go to k-24 hybrids in 3 years?

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 07-28-2007 at 11:45 PM.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:42 AM
4G64T is infamous around these parts
I am also interesed in this. What are the numbers for the X50?

Old 07-29-2007, 10:37 AM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
What's also sick and which I miss is, the FVD export exhaust with cat bypass, FVD stg 2 tuning, car use to backfire and shoot flames lol!

Old 07-30-2007, 07:45 AM
Dirty Mac is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 4G64T
I am also interesed in this. What are the numbers for the X50?
This is what's showing on the FVD web site for the GT2 upgrade. That torque graph is sick. And that is one very flat hp curve.

FVD: How did you guys make this graph?

Old 07-30-2007, 09:01 PM
Dirty Mac is infamous around these parts
Well I just got mine today. I've been on the fence about which ECU upgrade for a while. Don't know if it was the price or the ease of installation but after reading the details on their web site, I got in my clunker (only 444hp X50) and drove down to give them a visit.

Well I am one happy camper!!! What a difference. I was only able to take the car for a spin on the way back home but WOW. The extra hp and torque can really be felt. It reminds me of the thrill I got when I first got my car. I had to hold on tightly to the steering wheel so my hands wouldn't fly off. What a great mod. Flooring the car would bring up about 1.0 bar. Occasionally it would touch 1.1 for a split second. But what was really great was how quickly it would bring up the boost. It hits my old limit of 0.8 almost instantly.

The best feeling is while cruising at 80. Hit the gas and poof - 125. It feels like being launched off an aircraft carrier.

It's really cool how they did the whole install. After installing the software into your computer you connect to the OBD port under the dash of the car. No need to dig out the DME. Your vitals get sent to FVD in Germany and you get sent back a file containing your new programming. You run that file and it get uploaded to your car. The software also makes a backup of the original file to your computer so you can switch back at any time.

I got to thank everyone at FVD. They all take a genuine interest in their stuff. There is real positive energy in that place. Rhonda is such a doll. She really knows her stuff and is a track buff. Flo did my install (which would have been easy to do at home but I wanted it done right away). He is a great guy. Will, the owner, took time to check everything out and was helpful in planning future upgrade strategies. I wish I got everyone else's name. They were all helpful and I had all my questions answered really well. They made me feel very confident that they are ready to back up their products.

The only bummer was I that buying it in FLA I had to pay sales tax. That's an extra $100.

That's it for my gushing. Can't wait to take it for a spin tomorrow.

Old 07-31-2007, 10:51 AM
FVD-USA is infamous around these parts
In response to questions:

Is the same software used across the board for all turbo vehicles (stock,X50,GT2)?
We have vehicle specific flash load software available for -
-stock 996 tt
-modified stock turbos (modified k-16s, hybrid k16s, k16 performance, zero clearance turbos, call them what you will)
-k24 (x50)
-and GT2
All of these programs can be flash loaded using our cable and all our programming is adaptable to equipment already installed on the vehicle. This information is input in a text field before the programming file is sent to FVD for tuning. Whatever is installed on you vehicle, whether it’s 200, 100 cell cats or a by pass set up, a 5.0 bar pressure regulator, upgraded intercoolers, another tuners air box or larger boost pressure piping, all this and more can be accounted and compensated for on an individual basis for customers programming.

Do you have tuning numbers for 996 TT X50?
Here are numbers for 996 TT X50 Level 1 tuning:
Max. Power - 386kW (525HP) @ 6000rpm
Max. Torque - 755Nm (557lbf ft) @ 4500rpm
Max. Speed - 329km/h
Max. RPM - 7000rpm
Acceleration 0-100km/h - 3.7s

Will your programming work on my UK spec or other country specific vehicle?
Is all programming the same worldwide?
All our programming is not only vehicle specific but country specific as well, just as the factory programming is. NOT ALL PROGRAMMING IS THE SAME WORLD WIDE! There is programming for LEV vehicles (USA), Europe (EU3), Germany (EU3/D4), Japan, Australia and (M 150) vehicles (countries with leaded fuel) as in UAE, Dominican Republic, so on. Software can not be the same world wide as US Vehicles have emissions components and sensors to comply with LEV standards, components such as tank venting and carbon canisters- and an M 150 vehicle has no catalytic monitoring from the factory- cant be the same programming.

Does your programming advance the number of programming operations or “counter”?
When you load our tuned software it does not advance the “counter” as seen on the dealer PWIS tester in the DME C.U. under vehicle data. This is also true when the file is flashed back to stock with our software as the number is also not advanced. Some vehicle recall campaigns require a reprogram of the ECU performed at the dealer using the stock MAP files stored in the PWIS tester. This reprogram advances the counter one digit and is only an indication of the number of times the programming has been overwritten. The counter gives no indication as to whether it was a tuner or a dealer who performed the last programming operation and is not all that Porsche would look at to see if an ECU has been modified by a tuner. Even though the number of programming operations hasn’t changed, anytime there is a warranty claim submitted to Porsche for an engine or emissions fault (Check Engine Light), a vehicle analysis log is generated and submitted for review with the claim. This is an extended read out of the DME, all faults stored in the control unit as well as detailed information about the ECU. All Porsche has to do is dig a little deeper under the surface of the DME and look at certain values in the coding to tell if it has been modified. It just depends on how deep they want to dig to find what they need. We do ensure whatever programming we extract gets put back bit by bit exactly as if programmed at the factory.

Do you have different programming for different octane ratings?
No. The reason for this (and I am sure this will cause controversy and maybe backlash, but I will try to explain as simple as possible)- is no one can adapt programming for just one specific fuel octane rating- as this is automatically controlled, optimally adjusted for, and monitored by the DME and a network of sensors including our old friend, Mr. knock sensor. Lets think about this logically and cover the basics first. The higher the fuel octane rating the slower the fuel burns- so 100 octane fuel burns slower than 93 octane. Manufactures recommend octane ratings for specific applications taking in to account many of the different engine design and operating factors. This is to prevent knocking or detonation of the fuel mixture caused by pre-igniting or igniting to late in the power stroke. Fuel octane ratings play a big part in this as once again, octane rating is an indication of how quickly the fuel mixture will burn. This is where Mr. Knock sensor comes into play. If the sensor sees incorrect combustion it will set the ignition timing later (retarded) on the appropriate cylinder, as Porsche can adapt individual cylinder ignition timing instead of adjusting it on the entire bank. This is because each cylinder has its own ignition coil (Coil on Plug system). The DME than adjusts back until the “knock” stops. The ECU will only allow for so much adjustment in the ignition timing as it is a preset parameter (and preset for a reason) as well as a safety feature. Older vehicles (ex. 964) ran only one map for a knock situation -what was called a 3-6-9-knock program. This program would retard the ignition timing 3 degrees, than 6 degrees, than if need be up 9 degrees max until the knock stopped. Now with the 996 and the advent of the faster processing speeds of the Bosch ECU, Porsche can run many different maps to control nearly every type of fuel and ignition scenario. Information regarding variables from sensors such as engine speed, engine load, intake air temp, boost pressure, etc. are sent to the ECU, which automatically adjusts ignition timing for optimal combustion. Octane rating is compensated for, once again automatically, thru these calculations. This is also a safety feature as incorrect combustion, especially at high RPMs, can cause severe engine damage. There is however only so many degrees of adjustment that the ECU is able to perform before the vehicle goes into “limp mode” and refuses to run under full power. So now you ask, why don’t you just trick a sensor or change to coding so it doesn’t go into limp mode. Well, once the information and other variables from the network of sensors is input and compared with current operating conditions and the vast number of preprogrammed map scenarios, the ECU simply overwrites the “octane programmed tuner map” and compensates accordingly. Also, FVD-Brombacher tunes ECUs with performance, safety and reliability in mind and refuses to “butcher” factory programming or override any of the vehicles safety features. Basically, whether you run 87, 93,107 or 150 J octane, there is only so much adjustment to ignition timing before the combustion process is no longer complete, horsepower is lost, and your back to square one!
Please note: This post was written to be a clear as possible and explained in what I thought was the simplest of terms. This information is to the best of MY knowledge
accurate. Should you have further questions please don’t hesitate to contact me directly and I will be more than happy to attempt to explain in greater detail or put you directly in touch with our team of software engineers in Germany who would be able to answer the ins and outs of the Porsche ECU in far greater detail than I ever could. Happy Posting!

Feel free to contact me with any questions
or for more detailed information.
Best regards,
Mark

Toll Free: 1-800-274-2220 ext. 27
Local: 1-954-977-7130 ext. 27
Fax: 1-954-977-7650

E-Mail: mark@fvd.us
http://www.fvd.us

Old 07-31-2007, 10:59 AM
For those who are interested in FVD Flashloading here is an example of our Flash Client Software:

Best regards,
Flo

Old 07-31-2007, 11:19 AM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
so then I guess all those guys that got higher octane programming got hosed. hyped again.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:44 AM
Thanks for all the kind words. We are sorry for the sales tax but that's up to the government

Thanks, Flo

Originally Posted by Dirty Mac
Well I just got mine today. I've been on the fence about which ECU upgrade for a while. Don't know if it was the price or the ease of installation but after reading the details on their web site, I got in my clunker (only 444hp X50) and drove down to give them a visit.

Well I am one happy camper!!! What a difference. I was only able to take the car for a spin on the way back home but WOW. The extra hp and torque can really be felt. It reminds me of the thrill I got when I first got my car. I had to hold on tightly to the steering wheel so my hands wouldn't fly off. What a great mod. Flooring the car would bring up about 1.0 bar. Occasionally it would touch 1.1 for a split second. But what was really great was how quickly it would bring up the boost. It hits my old limit of 0.8 almost instantly.

The best feeling is while cruising at 80. Hit the gas and poof - 125. It feels like being launched off an aircraft carrier.

It's really cool how they did the whole install. After installing the software into your computer you connect to the OBD port under the dash of the car. No need to dig out the DME. Your vitals get sent to FVD in Germany and you get sent back a file containing your new programming. You run that file and it get uploaded to your car. The software also makes a backup of the original file to your computer so you can switch back at any time.

I got to thank everyone at FVD. They all take a genuine interest in their stuff. There is real positive energy in that place. Rhonda is such a doll. She really knows her stuff and is a track buff. Flo did my install (which would have been easy to do at home but I wanted it done right away). He is a great guy. Will, the owner, took time to check everything out and was helpful in planning future upgrade strategies. I wish I got everyone else's name. They were all helpful and I had all my questions answered really well. They made me feel very confident that they are ready to back up their products.

The only bummer was I that buying it in FLA I had to pay sales tax. That's an extra $100.

Old 08-03-2007, 12:51 PM
Bodybag has a spectacular aura aboutBodybag has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Shark01
This is the deal killer for me, being restricted to buying turbos from FVD would lead to massive upgrade costs by not being able to make use of used parts or special offers, so FVD would be holding you prisoner on upgrades....
You should call them directly on this... at least in regards to changing turbos. ***** at FVD told me that they have an exchange program where you will actually get credit for turing in your turbos. In my case it would make the purchase of new turbos less than 1/2 of the retail price listed on their website.

Last edited by Bodybag; 08-03-2007 at 01:05 PM.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:35 PM
rafiki is infamous around these parts
Very interesting info..ready to pull the trigger on a flash loader and program....just a few questions:
1. Does the FVD flash load ECU upgrade include a BMC filter?
2. How does the Hp / torque numbers compare to other tuners with flash
loaders...UMW for eg...not trying to start a tuner's war...just want help in
deciding which way to go.

Old 08-03-2007, 07:52 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Now get some upgraded wastegates. You haven't seen anything yet. The muddy feel will be replaced by much crisper throttle response, more midrange torque and you'll hold 1.2 BAR to redline.

Do you have an exhaust? I strongly recommend it as well.

Originally Posted by Dirty Mac

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: FVD 996TT Programming