996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

is 996TT crash/accident prone?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 11:07 PM
jkb
jkb is on a distinguished road
is 996TT crash/accident prone?

first of all, sorry for the provocative title, but i want all the feedback i can get

here is the deal. i been trying to help my co-worker get a car. he has been going back and forth between porsche ('05 997S or '02 996TT) and BMW (new 2008 M3).

lately i been able to arm twist him into porsche by saying that getting a first model year from any auto maker is asking for trouble and that porsche is still a more rare and more of a sport car (please lets not start religious war here, i am a huge BMW fan, i have both bmw and a porsche).

anyways... at this point he has been going back and forth between early 997S vs 996TT. until earlier today when he tells me this over messenger:

-----------------------
him: dude, back to M3 now
me: what? why? first model year. new engine. thats asking for trouble
him: talk to my dentist today, he said those porsche turbo sucks
he used to own one, lots of turbo lag, and tail spin out too much when turbo kicks in

me: did he mod it? sure it sucks, but with 10K in mods it will be insanely fast. put some PSS9 suspension on it, boost pressure, exhaust, chip -- the car will be INSANE
him: his buddy wreck the turbo 3 times. he says when they go around curvy road, when turbo kicks in, too much torque spin out. u saw that black 996tt i showed u right? he's selling to get M3. someone asked him why, but he wouldn't say, he said he'll tell them later in person
me: ok.. dont get a turbo. get 997S. problem solved : )
him: ask 6spd if there are any issues. why people are getting rid of them. i see like 600 996tt forsale on autotrader
------------------

the conversation continued talking about this post. and track time. and learning curve... but nevertheless... if any of you have any insight on this issue, i would appreciate hearing about it.

Old 08-22-2007, 11:24 PM
ezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond repute
You should tell him "you're right, the turbo is probably too much car for you to handle...too fast, to powerful etc." and leave it at that. His ego will make him get a turbo.

Old 08-22-2007, 11:41 PM
Former Vendor
Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !
"Accident Prone"?? LOL Depends on whos driving it.. LOL

The 996TT is not the "Dr. Killer of the 80's that the 930 turbo was".

But thats just my .02 cents.

If its a car he doesnt want. Then maybe you shouldnt push him towards it.

A Turbo Porsche is a lot of car and not for everyone.

Old 08-22-2007, 11:45 PM
alex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond repute
The old turbo i heard.. the 996TT? no way, you have to be totally out of control to wreck those things.. theyre too easy to drive..

Old 08-23-2007, 12:08 AM
Ryan in SD is a name known to allRyan in SD is a name known to allRyan in SD is a name known to allRyan in SD is a name known to allRyan in SD is a name known to allRyan in SD is a name known to all
I hear they are one of the easiest 400+ hp cars to drive.

M3 is awesome but c'mon....PORSCHE TURBO!!!!!!

Old 08-23-2007, 12:10 AM
drewTT has a spectacular aura aboutdrewTT has a spectacular aura aboutdrewTT has a spectacular aura about
the car is very easy to drive, just make sure its pointed straight when the boost hits... i love this thing

Old 08-23-2007, 12:21 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Isn't there some kind of 'stupid test' before you can own a 996TT?

He'd fail.

Let him buy something else.("My dentist says..." )

Geez...

A

Old 08-23-2007, 12:45 AM
jkb
jkb is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ard
Isn't there some kind of 'stupid test' before you can own a 996TT?

He'd fail.

Let him buy something else.("My dentist says..." )

Geez...

A
nothing wrong with listening to other's opinion. even if it is a dentist. i can't believe you are such a rabid anti-dentite. Oh, it starts with a few jokes and some slurs. "Hey, denty!" Next thing you know you're saying they should have their own schools.

Old 08-23-2007, 02:01 AM
carendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the rough
lag on a 996tt is negligible; even less so at gt700. car has little to no traction issues - even at 700hp.

the only consideration is rain. the tires are pontoons and it is *no* fun driving it down 101 during the rain season; in fact, it's downright scary and dangerous. i would not recommend it as a daily driver for that reason.

- chuck

Old 08-23-2007, 02:07 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Where did he get the sideways comment from, whoever is giving him advise is the clown. I dont think you could get a TT sideways without RWD or sway bar, you'll be too bust understeering.

But you know there are always those people that like to act like they know something when they really dont know jack about a car. (I.E dealers)

Old 08-23-2007, 08:19 AM
cohare has a spectacular aura aboutcohare has a spectacular aura aboutcohare has a spectacular aura about
This car is easier to drive with the TC off than my 99' c2 was. yeah boost kicks in but the fronts tend to pull it back into place, and I certainly dont claim to be a great driver. Maybe the guy that wrecked his 3 times is a Moron and cant drive.

Tell him to leave the TC on and he wont ever have a problem...

Old 08-23-2007, 08:26 AM
rafiki is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=jkb]
him: talk to my dentist today, he said those porsche turbo sucks he used to own one, lots of turbo lag, and tail spin out too much when turbo kicks in

Maybe this dentist was helping himself to the laughing gas at the end of his shift....before hopping in his 996tt.......
Maybe your friend is trying to talk down the price of the 996tt.

Quick search in Oz --> 996tt for sale....11
M3 (2000 - 2006) for sale -->71

According to your friends logic...maybe people are getting rid of the M3's becasue they are 7 times more accident prone than the 996tt.

Last edited by rafiki; 08-23-2007 at 08:30 AM.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:43 AM
s14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to behold
From when I drove a 03 TT a few months back, I remember the boost coming on linear. There was almost no lag and I can't see how you'd lose control with the car. I was ripping it and maybe only saw PSM blink once between 1st and 2nd gear.

Old 08-23-2007, 08:47 AM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
Anyone who crashes the same car 3 times and isn't racing needs to slow the hell down because he's the problem, not the car. I searched the autotrader for any distance for TTs up to $130 and saw 532. I searched M3s and found 1590.

Old 08-23-2007, 12:37 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jkb
i can't believe you are such a rabid anti-dentite. .
I've got nothing against teeth.

A

(PS It isn't listening to opinions, it is changing you plans from one day to the next based on who's opinion you happened to get that afternoon...)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: is 996TT crash/accident prone?