996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Porsche PCCB or Brembo BBK

Old 09-17-2007, 09:21 AM
NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !
Porsche PCCB or Brembo BBK

Porsche PCCB vs. Brembo BBK

Can anyone give me some insight to the main differences between these two brake setups.

I tried to search but was unable to find comparsions.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:34 AM
Kaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud of
Even though there are a lot of fans of PCCB's because of their lightness etc etc...the PCCB's of 996 generation won't last with hard track driving.

So I assume you're upgrading brakes because of track driving...go with the Brembos or similar setup. Make sure to get a proper setup designed for the 996TT.

For pads go with Pagid Yellow or Perfomance Friction Race pads.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:37 AM
NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !
Thanks for your input.

any major benefits/drawbacks for each setup?

Old 09-17-2007, 10:08 AM
SlowMotion is infamous around these parts
The gen II PCCB's on the 996's don't seem to wear out... they are really light (nearly 40lbs SAVED per corner if I'm not mistaken?).

Seth

Old 09-17-2007, 10:38 AM
MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !
Love my PCCBs on my 997. Lightweight, great stopping, no fade, little wear, no brake dust (FTMFW!) . . .

Old 09-17-2007, 10:48 AM
banduga is on a distinguished road
I currently run PCCB 1st generation on my 996 GT2. They are TERRIBLE. They don't dissipate heat well, and are prone to cracking. I ended up in a sand trap during my 1st track day with the GT2 because the brakes just give up with little warning. Also, after a cool-down lap, they were still smoking when I come into the pits. STAY AWAY from 1st-gen PCCB!!!

Large 380mm Gemballa/Brembo discs are being installed as we speak, whilst retaining the PCCB 1st-gen at the rear. I have also installed Cargraphic brake cooling ducts to make sure I don't have another "outing" on my next track day!

On my 996 GT3 RS that I had, I ran PCCB 2nd-gen for a few track days. They worked great. However, I changed to 350mm 996 Cup car fully-floating discs for the sake of durability. The PCCB discs were chipped because of careless mechanics when changing between my road and track wheel/tyres.

If money is no object, then PCCB 2nd-gen by all means. If you're looking for a cheaper alternative, the 996 Cup discs with Pagid RS-29 pads will work great.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by banduga
I currently run PCCB 1st generation on my 996 GT2. They are TERRIBLE. They don't dissipate heat well, and are prone to cracking. I ended up in a sand trap during my 1st track day with the GT2 because the brakes just give up with little warning. Also, after a cool-down lap, they were still smoking when I come into the pits. STAY AWAY from 1st-gen PCCB!!!

Large 380mm Gemballa/Brembo discs are being installed as we speak, whilst retaining the PCCB 1st-gen at the rear. I have also installed Cargraphic brake cooling ducts to make sure I don't have another "outing" on my next track day!

On my 996 GT3 RS that I had, I ran PCCB 2nd-gen for a few track days. They worked great. However, I changed to 350mm 996 Cup car fully-floating discs for the sake of durability. The PCCB discs were chipped because of careless mechanics when changing between my road and track wheel/tyres.

If money is no object, then PCCB 2nd-gen by all means. If you're looking for a cheaper alternative, the 996 Cup discs with Pagid RS-29 pads will work great.
Thanks for your insights. How would one go about determining the version of a PCCB setup?

Old 09-17-2007, 12:49 PM
banduga is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by NineNineSixTT
Thanks for your insights. How would one go about determining the version of a PCCB setup?
I seriously doubt that any honest seller will sell you a 1st-gen set. However, its better to be safe than sorry. Unfortunately, I don't know how to reliably tell the difference between the two. From what my local Porsche dealership tells me, the difference is mainly in the hole patterns that are drilled into the disc for cooling purposes. Sorry, but that's all I know.

Old 09-17-2007, 02:03 PM
Ray
Former Vendor
Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NineNineSixTT
Gen 1 rotors holes are more uniform with pattern. Gen 2 have random patten of holes.