996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

60K service

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:41 AM
johnnytaboo is on a distinguished road
60K service

Hey guys,
I just had my 60k service done (a little early, but I prefer to be safe) and there were a couple things that bothered me.

1. The mechanic said that porsche didn't suggest changing the transmission fluids, but I swear I heard somewhere that you were supposed to at this mileage

2. The seals (rubber o-rings) around some of my spark plugs were cracked and oil was leaking on them. Is this common?

3. On a positive note, I also had him install my stainless steel brake line. I must say, I'm a huge fan. The pedal is MUCH more responsive now.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:20 AM
daytrader is on a distinguished road
Check your handbook on maintenance. I would change the transmission fluid and o-rings too. When I bought mine at 38K miles I had the indie did a major tune-up included transmission fluid and new clutch. Save $$ on the long run.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:42 AM
otherhwhitemeat is on a distinguished road
spark plug tube o-rings leaking are extremlly common and most often mistaken and misdiagnosed for a leaking valve cover. ATF service (fluid and filter) isnt performed until 90K- 60 k is a 30k service with a belt and a fuel filter (some models get plugs)

Old 02-13-2008, 08:11 AM
asialors996 has a spectacular aura aboutasialors996 has a spectacular aura aboutasialors996 has a spectacular aura about
Does any one have the specific dealer list of what is done at 60K...im getting to 54K and i want to start to figure out what i need...i rather do it early

Old 02-13-2008, 08:48 AM
vick57 is on a distinguished road
Major maintenance after: 30,000, 60,000, 90,000, 120,000 miles etc. (48,000, 96,000, 144,000, 192,000 km etc.)
-Diagnosis system: Read out fault memory
-Polyrib belt: Check condition
-Change the engine oil and oil filter
-Replace the spark plugs
-Vehicle underside and engine compartment: Visual inspection for leaks (oils and fluids) and abrasion (lines and hoses)
-Underbody panels: visual inspection for completeness, installation and damage
-Coolant hoses: Check condition;
-Radiators and air inlets at front: Visual inspection for external contamination and blockage;
-Coolant: Check the level and antifreeze protection
-Air cleaner: Replace the filter element
-Particle filter: Replace the filter element
-Fuel system: Visual inspection for damage, routing and secure fit of line connections
-Power steering: Check the fluid level and bellows
-Parking brake: Checking the free play of the parking brake lever
-Brake system: Visual inspection of the brake pads and brake discs for wear
-Brake hoses and lines: Visual inspection for damage, routing and corrosion. Checking the brake fluid level
-Clutch: Check the play and pedal end position
-Throttle actuation: Check smooth operation, check the full throttle position with the Tester
-Steering gear: Visually inspect the bellows for damage
-Tie rod joints: Check the play and dust bellows
-Axle joints: Check play, visual inspection of dust bellows for damage, check screw connections of running gear adjustment facility, front and rear, for secure fit
-Drive shafts: Perform a visual inspection of the boots for leaks and damage
-Exhaust system: Visual inspection for leaks and damage, check suspension
-Tires and spare wheel (collapsible wheel): Check the condition and the tire pressure
-Check the door locks, lid locks and safety hooks of the front lid to ensure that they are secure and functioning properly:
-Check lid lock, front and rear; Check safety hook, front lid; Function test, check door lock; Check door and lid tightening torques
-Seat belts: Check function and condition
-Vehicle lighting: Check function; All headlights: Check adjustment; Horn: Check operation.
-Windscreen wiper/washer system, headlight washer: Check fluid level and nozzle settings, pay attention to antifreeze protection in the winter months. -Electrical equipment as well as warning and indicator lights: Check operation.
-Test drive:
-Remote control, front seats, foot and parking brakes (also actuation travel), engine, clutch, steering, transmission, ParkAssist, automatic speed control, TC/PSM switch, heating, air-conditioning system and instruments: Check operation.
-Oils, fluids: Visual inspection for leaks

Old 02-13-2008, 04:33 PM
iii911ooo is on a distinguished road
OK, here are two links to the official Porsche maintenance schedule:

The first is a .pdf of the maintenance book that originally came with the car

http://www.porsche.com/filestore.asp...letype=default

The second is a .pdf of the maintenance intervals by model and year:

http://www.porsche.com/filestore.asp...letype=default

Randy
'01 996 C2

Old 02-16-2008, 01:17 PM
porsche4391 is on a distinguished road
yeah i would check the manual...different stuff depends on the car...3.4 or 3.6 ...but as far as those seals..i know that they are common

Old 11-07-2010, 01:19 PM
997FLASpeed is on a distinguished road
What is the cost for a 60K service?

Old 11-07-2010, 08:13 PM
carbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud of
the dealer wanted $1400
had it done at a local german car shop for $695

Old 11-08-2010, 08:08 AM
gbennett is on a distinguished road
Hey Johnnytaboo,

Who are you using as your indie? I'm in the area and am looking for a reliable indie for future reference. Although it doesn't sound like you are thrilled with yours . . .

Greg

Old 11-08-2010, 09:24 AM
DeskJob1 is on a distinguished road
Second below... also interested as I am in the area - Thanks!

Hey Johnnytaboo,

Who are you using as your indie? I'm in the area and am looking for a reliable indie for future reference. Although it doesn't sound like you are thrilled with yours . . .

Greg

Old 11-08-2010, 12:20 PM
Fozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of light
How difficult is it to change the spark plug o-rings?

Old 11-08-2010, 03:10 PM
jr2
jr2 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by DeskJob1

Second below... also interested as I am in the area - Thanks!
Greg
I can enthusiastically recommend Taylor Chapman at German Auto Group, 7520 Backlick Road, Springfield, VA 22150; tel: (703) 440-6777. Just google Taylor's name and you'll see the reputation and following he has.

GAG is immediately on the right after you come down the Backlick Road exit ramp [going south on 395 past the 495 interchange]; be alert as the entrance is almost right at the bottom of the exit ramp. They're also happy to drop you and pick you up at the Blue line metro at Franconia Springfield, and the office is open on Saturdays for pickup and drop off.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:47 AM
gbennett is on a distinguished road
Older post, I know. But I just got my car back from Taylor Chapman and enthusiastically recommend him to anyone in the DC / NOVA area.

Thanks for pointing me in his direction!

Greg

Old 05-03-2011, 08:08 AM
jr2
jr2 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by gbennett
I just got my car back from Taylor Chapman and enthusiastically recommend him to anyone in the DC / NOVA area.

Yes, he really is excellent; I'll be going back to him soon for periodic oil change and check-over -- have a crack in my guido disc (rubber disc connecting the cardan shaft which Porsche does not sell separately) which he noticed and will go ahead and do as continuing preventive maintenance --$500 for the 911 cardan drive shaft unit for which I only need the $50 rubber guido disc!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 60K service