996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

EVO vs. K&N Air Intake???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 06:59 PM
911C4S has a spectacular aura about911C4S has a spectacular aura about911C4S has a spectacular aura about
EVO vs. K&N Air Intake???

I know the EVO is a lot more $$ than compared to the K&N but is there a significant difference between the To??? Would be installed on a 2003 C4S? Thanks..

Old 11-14-2007, 07:08 PM
no-substitute is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 911C4S
I know the EVO is a lot more $$ than compared to the K&N but is there a significant difference between the To??? Would be installed on a 2003 C4S? Thanks..
From looking at both the Evo _MIGHT_ shield incoming air from the heat of the engine better though doubt if it is that great. Neither is going to increase HP from what others here have said. Nonetheless I have the K&N with a dry filter and the sound is very nice!

Old 11-14-2007, 07:13 PM
Banned
Benjamin Choi will become famous soon enough
evoms is much better quality

Old 11-14-2007, 07:23 PM
911C4S has a spectacular aura about911C4S has a spectacular aura about911C4S has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for the 411!!

Old 11-14-2007, 07:36 PM
daytrader is on a distinguished road
Both provides little HP. EVO shield out hot air better. I had both installed in my 02 C2 after a few trials I left the K&N in .

Old 11-14-2007, 08:18 PM
LowStro9 will become famous soon enough
I will send you my K & N and the three blown mafs for the cost of shipping. Don't go anywhere near the K&N...muco CEL's and MAF issues...there is a reason EVO is more and well worth the money.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:27 PM
no-substitute is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by LowStro9
I will send you my K & N and the three blown mafs for the cost of shipping. Don't go anywhere near the K&N...muco CEL's and MAF issues...there is a reason EVO is more and well worth the money.

what year is your Pcar?
Info I have read seems to indicate that it is less of a problem on 2002+

were the filters oiled or dry?

Again, info I have read indicates the dry filters are not causing MAF issues.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:10 PM
LowStro9 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by no-substitute
what year is your Pcar?
Info I have read seems to indicate that it is less of a problem on 2002+

were the filters oiled or dry?

Again, info I have read indicates the dry filters are not causing MAF issues.
You are correct on the year issue regarding a higher failure rate. I have a 99. I have tried the K&N oiled & oil less. I think I am biased because the $9.00 hour on the phone at K&N acts like such an elitist ***** about the whole conversation. Those bastards even told me that they tested their filter with a MAF submerged in a vat of oil. Now for get my level of education in its entirety and please guide me through the learning curve of how a K&N employee would tell someone that they tested a mass air flow meter in a vat of OIL.

Again, yes I am jaded. I have built two companies based on referrals and customer service. Understanding the K & N is much, much larger does not award them the right or privilege to blow off a widely known issue.

Pay a buck or two more and go with the EVO. Those guys live and breath R & D. The BMC filter has about 15% more flow volume than the K & N and is $20 less for the pincher's in the crowd.

Man, I hate K&N so much, I just need to go to bed and get out of this thread.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:32 PM
3rd Street is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by LowStro9
Man, I hate K&N so much, I just need to go to bed and get out of this thread.
lol...chillax ..but I agree..K&N sucks on customer service!

Old 11-14-2007, 11:36 PM
adybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the rough
had my K&N for 9k miles and finally my MAF went out...

Old 11-15-2007, 06:32 AM
YoopsRacing will become famous soon enough
another plus for Evo.......

Old 11-15-2007, 01:31 PM
auto-xr will become famous soon enough
Posted this before but didn't get too much feedback in the last post b/c I think the thread had gotten too stretched out.

Looking at the K&N set up, it looks to be positioned right under the engine lid fan. I have heard that this unit just sucks up hot air from the engine compartment (thus hurting HP) and that dynos aren't really giving a true indication of what the K&N is doing to increase power because there may or may not be a fan blowing on the engine. In normal operation when the engine fan is on, wouldn't the K&N be receiving cool air from the outside forced on to it? Isn't that a good thing? Also, I also have read that there is a mod to turn that fan on manually (w/o affecting the automatic function) to help cool down the engine when it's being run hard. Wouldn't this be a no brainer mod to go along with the K&N? MAF issues aside (and I've read the EVO units aren't always immune to this), wouldn't this be a an design advantage over the evo unit when used on a clear on sunny day? Also, I have read that there is a rain shield but I don't think I've ever seen it. Does anyone have a pic of how K&N unit looks with it on? BTW...I don't have a CAI but I've toyed with the idea of getting one. I actually have a flat K&N filter new and in the box but as with the cone filter, the MAF issue does concern me along with the fact that the K&N flows more air thus could let more pollutants into the engine. Just using the regular air filter at this point. Curious to see what others have to say.

Attached Images  
Old 11-15-2007, 07:07 PM
potxoli is on a distinguished road
how about the Snell intake? I think that CAI's don't make any real power, so I'm just after throaty sound. At $100, that seems like a good way to get some sound, but much less than the evo.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...spagenameZWDVW

Old 11-18-2007, 09:36 AM
purplec320 is on a distinguished road
I just installed K&N CAI on my 2002 996 C4 for approximately a week already and no problems so far. Installation took about an hour and I think they designed that CAI poorly since I need to drill some holes. Crossing my fingers that my MAF won't be a problem in the future....

Old 11-18-2007, 12:03 PM
CaRJoE0220 will become famous soon enoughCaRJoE0220 will become famous soon enough

Put this on my 99 and have had about 2k trouble free miles. Really ROARS above 4k

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: EVO vs. K&N Air Intake???