996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

C2 vs C4S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 11:28 AM
Banned
Benjamin Choi is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by newport996
Chill man, I am giving you a compliment!
all i'm doing is typing on a keyboard sipping on some fuji water, ya can't get more chill than that bud.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:13 PM
waipahu996 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jumper5836
Just like my women I go for looks. The C4S wins hands down.
I love the looks of my C4S widebody too. Just like my women, it needs a nice butt. My anaconda don't want none, if it don't got buns

Old 01-04-2008, 03:38 PM
Ray S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura aboutRay S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura aboutRay S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by newport996
B. Choi?...the voice of reason? I agree to disagree....The C2 is lighter and that gives it an advantage, the C4s is AWD and the chassis is stiffer and that has its advantages. (yes the C4S has a stiffer chassis, thats why they use it for the GT2/GT3/and race cars NOT a C2 chassis). The AWD's ability to transfer power from a slipping wheel to wheels with grip give it an advantage in all weather conditions, especially wet. The C2's advantage is weight. They are both WONDERFUL cars, but to say a C4s handles like it does because weight in the front(which gives it a more neutral weight balance) is leaving out 99% of the other things it has going for it. Which one is faster? DEPENDS ON THE DRIVER. Walter Rohl prefers the C4...why, its easier to drive fast. Can the C2 go faster around a track, probably, but the question is can an average driver go faster in a C2 around a track...probably not...Again, its what you prefer...some like a planted feel, others want to be in total control, even if its less planted.
LOL, yes the GT3 uses the C4 chassis because it has some extra structure up front to support the AWD system. However, the GT3 leaves the AWD system off because the added weight is more of a track disadvantage (not an advantage). If you want to bring "average" drivers into the discussion that's another can of worms entirely. Truthfully, I'd bet the average Joe off the street would feel more comfortable in a car like and audi TT that will push like crazy yet offer very safe handling.

However, if you give an experienced driver a choice of taking a C2 vs a C4 on a track (in the dry) I know of none that would select the AWD. To choose the AWD chassis you have to overcome over 100lbs of extra mass. This gives the car a power to weight disadvantage, a braking disadvantage, and an absolute cornering disadvantage. Plus, the awd car will put less hp to the wheels (you got extra driveline parasitic drag).

There is no question that the C4 and C4S provide safer handling and foul weather advantages but it's not a free lunch. Those advantages cost in acceleration, braking, cornering and steering feel. It's a disingenuous argument to only list the positive benefits and not the negative.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:43 PM
jumper5836 has a spectacular aura aboutjumper5836 has a spectacular aura about
Ray S, please don't make this into another debate. You simple can believe what you want but you fail to mention that the 100 lbs extra weight you carry around on you mid section makes up for the weight of a C4S driven by a normal person.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:53 PM
Ray S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura aboutRay S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura aboutRay S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by jumper5836
Ray S, please don't make this into another debate. You simple can believe what you want but you fail to mention that the 100 lbs extra weight you carry around on you mid section makes up for the weight of a C4S driven by a normal person.

No need to project your weight issues on me. I stay in triathlon shape year round...

Old 01-04-2008, 04:03 PM
Banned
Benjamin Choi is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Ray S (Chicago)
No need to project your weight issues on me. I stay in triathlon shape year round...

ray come strong and show pics of you in triathlon action to really show that assumptive guy up

and i have 4% body fat who cares, awd rules.

Last edited by Benjamin Choi; 01-04-2008 at 04:08 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:09 PM
jumper5836 has a spectacular aura aboutjumper5836 has a spectacular aura about

tu chez

Old 01-04-2008, 04:12 PM
vick57 is infamous around these parts
i forget my geometry. does a triathlon have three sides or four?

Old 01-04-2008, 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
ray come strong and show pics of you in triathlon action to really show that assumptive guy up

and i have 4% body fat who cares, awd rules.
4%!! Damn Ben you've got me beat. I was at 4% when I ran an Ironman distance race several years ago, but I've drifted up from that low (8-10% now).

AWD rules? I don't know different strokes and all. Some guys like steel bikes, I like carbon.....

I will give you that the C4S coupe w/full aerokit is the best looking N/A 996....

Old 01-05-2008, 07:42 AM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
I'm not a track guy so can't speak to that. My C2 has PSS9's and is corner balanced but is definately floaty at speed. I don't get to high speed often though and love driving the car. I'll tell you though for me the C4S is just gorgeous and I'd love to have one. The reason I got the C2 was financial. They cost less and there are more of them out there to choose from. My CPO expires the end of this year and I may change cars then.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:46 AM
FLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud of
I have a C2 on JIC Coilovers setup to GT3 specs. Floatiness gone plus the advantage of nimbleness in traffic and accelaration at speed.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:18 AM
Dervish is infamous around these parts
AWD is perfect FOR ME. Stick your foot down and go very hard through the corners. If you want a bit of excitement take the PSM off, that way you can get some good sideways action...

Just my .02$, and I like my women slender, not too much junk in the trunk

Old 01-05-2008, 03:12 PM
newport996 is infamous around these partsnewport996 is infamous around these parts
It's a disingenuous argument to only list the positive benefits and not the negative.
Maybe not as disingenuous as saying that a C2 will handle like a C4 if you put sandbags in the front trunk.

Old 01-05-2008, 03:13 PM
newport996 is infamous around these partsnewport996 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by deckman
I'm not a track guy so can't speak to that. My C2 has PSS9's and is corner balanced but is definately floaty at speed. I don't get to high speed often though and love driving the car. I'll tell you though for me the C4S is just gorgeous and I'd love to have one. The reason I got the C2 was financial. They cost less and there are more of them out there to choose from. My CPO expires the end of this year and I may change cars then.

Something is wrong, shouldnt be floaty at all, maybe you are too soft in the front? What are your PSS9's settings?

Old 01-06-2008, 07:13 AM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
The guy who owned it prior to me had them set very soft all around. I haven't changed them yet. Next time I get it on jacks I'll change them. How do you get to the dials on the rears? I know they are on top, not bottom.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C2 vs C4S