996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

R...M...S...nooooooooooo!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 04:31 AM
Poursha is on a distinguished road
R...M...S...nooooooooooo!!!!

Three letters that strike fear in a 996/986 owner's heart. Sadly, I'm the latest member of the RMS leak club. I noticed a few black spots on my garage floor while washing the Carrera Saturday, and the dealer confirmed it was a RMS leak. They use a tool to test if the crankshaft is concentric to the opening for the seal, to determine if a new engine is needed. Mine passed the test, so they just needed to replace the seal. Here's a few pix for those (like me) who had heard of this evil thing, but weren't sure what it was.

The transmission, clutch and flywheel are removed, exposing the front of the engine:

Close-up showing the crankshaft (silver circle at center, with 8 small holes for the flywheel bolts). The RMS is the black circle around the crankshaft with a bunch of dimples in it:

The culprit--the rear main seal:

Rector in Burlingame once again providing excellent service.

Last edited by Poursha; 06-10-2004 at 09:23 AM.
Old 06-10-2004, 05:03 AM
carbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud of
welcome

Welcome to the club.
Mine went at 4700 miles and I'm at 10,100 now and everything looks good.
How many miles for you?
Check the tops of your exhaust tips to make sure they didn't scratch them during the process. I made the dealer give me new ones.
Ciao

Attached Images  
Old 06-10-2004, 05:22 AM
7,000 miles.

Old 06-10-2004, 05:22 AM
Tool Pants is on a distinguished road
Great pictures. But the third one shows your original seal after it has been pulled out of the crankshaft bore. The seal does not look like that when it is in a motor. It is damaged in the third picture because it has been pulled out.

There is no way grab the seal so it it can be removed. So holes are drilled in the metal back side and a sheet metal screw inserted in the hole. Then what looks like a dent puller is attached to the screw and the seal is yanked out. That is why the seal is deformed in the third pic.

Great pics. Tell the mechanic to shove some cork in there before the new seal is installed. Or maybe teflon tape from Home Depot.

Old 06-10-2004, 07:44 AM
911 flyn is on a distinguished road
RMS

Poursha,

You mean crankshaft, you kept saying camshaft..........

the dealer got your car in quickly, how long was it in the shop?
Is it back on the road?

Old 06-10-2004, 07:58 AM
Re: RMS

Originally posted by 911 flyn
Poursha,

You mean crankshaft, you kept saying camshaft..........

the dealer got your car in quickly, how long was it in the shop?
Is it back on the road?
Yes--I guess I was typing too fast...

I brought it in Monday without an appointment, and they started working on it that evening. The RMS has been replaced, and now they're waiting for the parts (amp, CD changer & radio) to replace the sound system which has had gremlins from the beginning. Hopefully tomorrow...

Old 06-10-2004, 08:21 AM
Did they check your DM flywheel or clutch while it was apart?

Old 06-10-2004, 09:13 AM
Yes--the clutch and flywheel were fine--I looked at them myself. From the pix you can see that it appears that the leak wasn't that old (after all, the car only has 7,000 miles on it).

Old 06-10-2004, 09:17 AM
Those pics are great , lots of detail

Thanks, Roy

Old 06-10-2004, 08:15 PM
Shawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond repute
I guess that is the same seal that went on my 01'
Whenever I would pin the gas I would mist my friend behind me with oil.
Seem's to be fixed now.

Old 06-16-2004, 12:44 PM
Update--the intermediate shaft seal was also leaking so they replaced it.

Plus both doors window lift mechanisms replaced due to the famous streak marks on the windows (I've had this in all 3 of my 996 Carreras).

Oh--and the amplifier, head unit and CD changer are being replaced today due to various issues.

Old 06-16-2004, 01:41 PM
Itzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond repute
wow, quite a list there. I'll be bringing mine in on Friday.

Old 06-16-2004, 07:57 PM
Jenner has much to be proud ofJenner has much to be proud ofJenner has much to be proud ofJenner has much to be proud ofJenner has much to be proud ofJenner has much to be proud ofJenner has much to be proud ofJenner has much to be proud of
Poursha you aren'y alone. I just had the same done in my '03 at 8400 miles, but the symptoms started well before that.

Old 06-17-2004, 07:32 AM
John S is on a distinguished road
Godd time to replace the clutch if it needs it!

NT

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.