996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Cheap Tires Stink

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 08:39 PM
vick57 is on a distinguished road
i had the kumhos looked at today. guy said the right rear is scalloped. that it is safe but will be noisy and ride rough until it wears out.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:53 PM
Boxzing is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
How do you like the HRTZ IIs?
Dry traction, noise level and ride are good, wet traction is bad. Wife spun her Boxster on a downward sloping, 270 degree fwy onramp in the rain. She drives very safe and slow so I gotta point the finger at the tires.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:27 PM
joyride has a spectacular aura aboutjoyride has a spectacular aura aboutjoyride has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by porsche4391
I was driving back to school and my 911 had kuhmos on them when i bought it...the rear went flat and 2 months before the other rear went flat...nott good...i got pilot sport PS2s cuz i have never had a problem with them!!
What are you saying? A tire went flat for no reason?

Low pressure or nail on the road? or potholes?

Old 01-17-2008, 10:41 PM
John Romano is on a distinguished road
I'm on my 3rd set of Sumitomos and like them just fine. I have not tracked the car yet, so my experience is only on public roads. They don't make the HTRZ IIs anymore. I like the HTRZ III better just looking at them. The ride is pretty good too. I can't wait to thrash them this weekend.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:36 PM
blinkwatt is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by John Romano
I'm on my 3rd set of Sumitomos and like them just fine. I have not tracked the car yet, so my experience is only on public roads. They don't make the HTRZ IIs anymore. I like the HTRZ III better just looking at them. The ride is pretty good too. I can't wait to thrash them this weekend.
Which Sumitomos are you using?

HRTZ IIs are still made according to this;
http://tirerack.com/tires/sumitomo/sumitomo.jsp

Old 01-19-2008, 01:09 PM
mathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond repute
Lots of HTRZII's are on the market still. We've got about 4000 of them in stock...

Old 01-21-2008, 02:26 PM
GOB
GOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud of
Yet another off brand that I have used is Falken, especifically RT-615 model. Supposed to be a tad better in the dry than the HTRZII, but after 5K miles on them, driving in the rain is always an "interesting" experience. Can't have it all I guess

Old 01-21-2008, 02:35 PM
Bluebullet328 is on a distinguished road
Theres alot of factors into finding tires that are for you

Old 01-22-2008, 07:15 AM
UCrazyKid will become famous soon enoughUCrazyKid will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by John Romano
how was the track?

Old 01-22-2008, 09:37 AM
c2mojo will become famous soon enough
The best "cheap" track tire is the RT615, I ran them on my old S4 and they were great but I would again say that you should pony up and get some AD07. They are truly amazing!

Old 01-22-2008, 09:51 AM
GOB
GOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud of
The RT615 is as close as you are going to come to an R compound for the street (think Toyo RA1). Next time around (assuming the car has not sold by then), I will be looking for a more "forgiving" tire as these are extremely hard, loud, and not water friendly. That said, the dry grip is something almost unbelievable.

Old 01-22-2008, 01:56 PM
c2mojo will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by GOB
The RT615 is as close as you are going to come to an R compound for the street (think Toyo RA1). Next time around (assuming the car has not sold by then), I will be looking for a more "forgiving" tire as these are extremely hard, loud, and not water friendly. That said, the dry grip is something almost unbelievable.
problem is Falken does not make a 285/30

Old 01-22-2008, 02:06 PM
GOB
I am running the 265 and IMHO, its fine as is (balance wise) and I have yet to find the limit on the street with these tires, and trust me when I tell you that I do push it quite a bit....

Old 01-28-2008, 09:55 PM
John Romano is on a distinguished road
I wanted to go 295/18/30 on the rear and could not find HTRZIIs. So, I bought the HTRZIIIs all around - 295/30 rear 225/40 front. Grip is MUCH better than the IIs. I had a very "spirited" driving session last weekend and I was very impressed - smoother ride with much less noise and more "stick" on some turns I know well. At $700 and change for tires, mounting and balance, I think Sumitomo represents a pretty good deal.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:25 AM
Former Vendor
Wheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by dac911
i had very good experience with bridgestone re050a pole positions. very comparable to michelins.
I have the Bridgestone S0-3's and although I bought one of the last sets available I like them better than the new RE050. But if I could choose, I'd rather have the Mich Pilot Sports.

-Eli

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cheap Tires Stink