996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

oil change

Old 03-30-2008, 03:41 PM
markar is a name known to allmarkar is a name known to allmarkar is a name known to allmarkar is a name known to allmarkar is a name known to allmarkar is a name known to all
oil change

How to change oil on 996. Please help.

Old 03-30-2008, 04:00 PM
eitanshay is on a distinguished road
Old 03-30-2008, 04:31 PM
markar is a name known to allmarkar is a name known to allmarkar is a name known to allmarkar is a name known to allmarkar is a name known to allmarkar is a name known to all
Thank you.

Old 03-30-2008, 05:33 PM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
join renntech.org and chck out the 996 DIY or maintenance sections.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:28 PM
sportmpower is on a distinguished road
Its the same as any other car. Remove drain plug, let oil drain, change filter, place drain plug back and put about 9 quarts in. Check dip-stick.

Old 04-25-2008, 02:20 PM
CaRJoE0220 will become famous soon enoughCaRJoE0220 will become famous soon enough
I changed my 996 for the first time about a month back. EASIEST oil change I ever did. All I needed was 1 Allen wrench. the oil filter is so well placed I was able to get a awesome grip on it and just twisted it off. I was scared at first but it took me all of 10-15 minutes. The hardest part was backing onto ramps haha being This is my first rear engine car.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:37 PM
Euclid is on a distinguished road
I think somebody superglued my oil filter casing to the motor... this hooker was on TIGHT
I snapped 2 of those rubber belt wrenches in half...

Old 10-30-2008, 11:40 PM
CMiYC is on a distinguished road
If you don't have the skid plate, changing the oil is stupid-easy. In one weekend I bled the brakes, changed the spark plugs, switch battery, and finished with an oil change. At 7pm I was thinking about putting off the oil change. Luckily, my helper talked me out of it.

It took longer to let the engine warm up than it did to change the oil.

Old 10-31-2008, 07:09 AM
Long Islander has a spectacular aura aboutLong Islander has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by CaRJoE0220
I changed my 996 for the first time about a month back. EASIEST oil change I ever did. All I needed was 1 Allen wrench. the oil filter is so well placed I was able to get a awesome grip on it and just twisted it off. I was scared at first but it took me all of 10-15 minutes. The hardest part was backing onto ramps haha being This is my first rear engine car.
Last time I had the dealer change the oil, it cost me around $300. Next time, I'll do it myself.

Any recommendations for ramps?

Old 10-31-2008, 07:31 AM
Marc Gelefsky is just really niceMarc Gelefsky is just really niceMarc Gelefsky is just really niceMarc Gelefsky is just really nice
Crazy easy! even with the fact that I had to remove a stripped oil drain plug, stupid dealer!

Old 10-31-2008, 07:47 AM
BostonCarrera4S is just really niceBostonCarrera4S is just really niceBostonCarrera4S is just really niceBostonCarrera4S is just really nice
I've heard to not use ramps because you don't get all the oil out because the car is sloped. Use jack stands. Anyone want to pipe in about this?

Old 10-31-2008, 08:48 AM
Last Car is on a distinguished road
Hi,
Don't know about 'fully' getting all the oil out....but what I did was take a 5/4 inch by 8 foot treated board and cut 8 boards out of it. Four board are about 24 inchs long and four are about 18 inches; on one end of each board I cut it at 45% on the other I cut straight; put the shorter boards on top of the longer boards and kept the straight ends in line, so the slanted ends make it easy for the tire to go up; I used screws to put the two together; Now when I need to either jack the car up or do something like an oil change I just put each of the boards behind the four tires and back the car up on to them. I know I didn't explain it very well but if you would like more info let me know and I can send pictures or 'what not'.
Anyway, this get the car high enough (and level) to do the oil change. Also, you will need a very BIG drain pan 'cause the 9 qts. comes out fast!
C'ya,

Old 10-31-2008, 09:19 AM
BostonCarrera4S is just really niceBostonCarrera4S is just really niceBostonCarrera4S is just really niceBostonCarrera4S is just really nice
Originally Posted by Last Car
Hi,
Don't know about 'fully' getting all the oil out....but what I did was take a 5/4 inch by 8 foot treated board and cut 8 boards out of it. Four board are about 24 inchs long and four are about 18 inches; on one end of each board I cut it at 45% on the other I cut straight; put the shorter boards on top of the longer boards and kept the straight ends in line, so the slanted ends make it easy for the tire to go up; I used screws to put the two together; Now when I need to either jack the car up or do something like an oil change I just put each of the boards behind the four tires and back the car up on to them. I know I didn't explain it very well but if you would like more info let me know and I can send pictures or 'what not'.
Anyway, this get the car high enough (and level) to do the oil change. Also, you will need a very BIG drain pan 'cause the 9 qts. comes out fast!
C'ya,
Lets see a pic of this. I'm looking for a cheap way since I will be doing my own oil changes.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:53 AM
carbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by sportmpower
Its the same as any other car. Remove drain plug, let oil drain, change filter, place drain plug back and put about 9 quarts in. Check dip-stick.

8 3/4

Old 10-31-2008, 09:57 AM
Euclid is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Oggie (on L.I.)
Last time I had the dealer change the oil, it cost me around $300. Next time, I'll do it myself.

Any recommendations for ramps?
I don't even use ramps.
You know that "lip" at the entry to most garages?
I back the car so the wheels are just on the upside of that lip.
Gives me enough room for a drain pan.
Easy peasy

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: oil change