996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Sound System in the 996?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 09:05 AM
erubin will become famous soon enough
Below are some Pics from the RUES install in my Cab. The job is very clean and looks very factory. The sound of the system is amazing even with the top down. Seems to be one of the best bang for the buck options available. The pics show the trunk mounted secound Sub which fits into the spare and is ported into the cabin, and the custom shelves built over the 3 amps installed on the tunk floor. The other pic is of the mirror mounted tweeters. There is also a larger sub mounted in the passanger foot well along with new speakers in all of the factory locations.

I ended changing out the head unit last summer to a Pioneer Avic Nav unit which I installed in the lower console. If you search my past posts you can find some pics of it installed.

erubin

Attached Thumbnails

Old 06-23-2008, 11:05 AM
nine9six will become famous soon enoughnine9six will become famous soon enough
erubin, thanks for the pictures. That install looks clean as everything is in the trunk. I wish you were here in SoCal so I can check out that system. I wonder how does the sub perform from in the trunk vs. what I have in the rear. I would much rather put my sub in the trunk. Also, how is it ported into the cabin? From that location, it doesn't look possible to port into the cabin.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:48 AM
The Subs sound great. There are two subs in this install. I have the one pictured in the trunk and an enlarged sub in the Bose factory location in the passanger footwell. This is a REUS enclosure that again looks very factory and only takes up a little more of the footwell than the Bose unit. I am not entirely sure where the port for the trunk mounted unit is. My guess is they used the steering wheel tunnel that is designed in to allow for right hand drive cars. You will have to call Reus to get the details. This system was designed from the ground up specifically for the 996 and is the best I have heard to date. The sound of the system is very balanced and full and can be enjoyed with the top down driving.

erubin

Old 06-23-2008, 12:24 PM
perryinva is on a distinguished road
How much is the Rues system?

Old 06-23-2008, 02:34 PM
My recollection is about $5000 installed 2 years ago. Reus does the install on all their systems.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:46 PM
wicked 7 is on a distinguished road
Rick is doing mine next week. I can't wait to hear it.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:24 AM
Originally Posted by wicked 7
Rick is doing mine next week. I can't wait to hear it.
Great choice!!! you will not be disapointed. what head unit did you choose?

Old 07-03-2008, 05:34 AM
wicked 7 is on a distinguished road
I already have the Kenwood DNX7120

Old 07-17-2008, 03:37 PM
TriGem2k is on a distinguished road
Here an outline of what I just recently finished up in my 986 Boxster. Everything was re-wired. There was nothing that was used from the OEM system. All OEM wiring was tucked away incased of a system reversal.

Attached Images  
Old 07-17-2008, 03:50 PM
Reus BLOWS!

Ask Rick Reus why he uses low end MTX subwoofers and covers all traces of decals and model numbers. In fact, try looking for a serial number. NON EXISTANT! Reus never puts in more than $300 worth of equipment in ANY installs.

I had a system removed from my car and had all my money refunded with no questions asked when Reus was confronted!

Save your money and steer clear of Reus. If you want more detail PM me.

Old 07-17-2008, 06:10 PM
911Joel is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by etwd
My exact thoughts..........

Gonna go for it.
Did you get one of these kits?
I picked one up after I saw your link (with an additional 25% off ).

Apparently DPS was going out of business. It must have been a total closeout. They had tons of Porsche items for sale at dirt cheap and now they have 0.

I was scared it was a scam but I got my kit the other day. I cant wait to get it installed. I got the TSB to do the install.

Old 07-17-2008, 06:24 PM
To those who PMed me sorry but because I have a low post count it will not let me reply...

Old 07-17-2008, 06:25 PM
To those who want to know about REUS Systems...Here is what I know.

I met Rick Reus at the LA Auto Show back in 2005 and was rather impressed with what they had accomplished in the MBZ SL500. I scheduled an appointment with him to meet at his shop in Santa Ana and go over what I would like in my 986. Several months later and hours of negotiating prices Rick threw out a model number and said it’s going to cost me $4700. I agreed as the original price he insisted was $7k. I had the system installed in my car a few months later and wasn't impressed. Rick then goes on to try and explain to me that the reason it doesn't sound great is because of my Pioneer Avic-N2 head unit. I tell him that’s a load of crap because it’s a $2k head unit. Months pass and I come to be somewhat satisfied with how it sounds and leave it at that. One day driving back from the beach I head a loud pop and all of a sudden everything sounds distorted. I get home to find that the side subwoofer is blown. Call Reus they tell me to come in to diagnose. I tell them it’s blown and I just want a new one. They agree and I go in. I get there and they say "yup it’s blown; we need to order a new one". I get upset because I drove an hour to hear them confirm something I had already told them and wasted my entire day. I tell them I want the system out and my money refunded. Rick Reus then started to break down and offer me HALF of my money back and I would be able to keep the system and have the blown parts replaced. I said no I want all my money back and he can have his crappy system back. He finally agreed and I left.

At this point I'm extremely frustrated that I'm having problems with a system that was supposed to be "perfect" and cost me cost to $5k. I begin to do some of my own research and start removing door panels with a buddy of mine to find out what exactly is in my car. We take several pictures just so we can find who and where this stuff is made. During the first few months I never figured any of it out. They stuff was removed and my money was refunded. I almost let it all go after that.

I kept in touch with a few of the installers Reus had just because they knew these "exotic" cars well and figured they might be of service in the future. One day one of these installers calls me regarding my Pioneer Head Unit and asked me if it was for sale. We got into talking about how stuff went down with my car and he told me that we should grab some lunch and he has things he wanted to tell me. I found out he no longer works for Reus and that’s when he started spilling out all this information to me.

He explained to me where all Rues components come from and that they use MTX subs from CircuitCity and order speakers and tweeters from Parts Direct. First I thought there’s no way it can’t be that simple. What about the decals and serial numbers. That’s when I remembered I still had pictures of ALLReus components on my camera. This installer told me to look at them and he will show me the exact parts I had pictures of in catalogs with the Original Decals and Part Numbers.

That’s where I found out that Reus Strips, Sands and Paints other manufactures parts and uses them in their systems. The installer assured me that NEVER has Reus used more than $500 worth of equipment in any single car. This of course not including Head Units (which they sell at retail price to consumers if bought through Reus).

I urge you to look into your own system in your car. What did Reus sell you the 12.1 / 14.2 / 16.2 /18.2 system? It’s all a load of crap! I wish there was an easier way to distribute this information to the masses because it’s unfair to all of us who are being deceived.

Best of luck to you.

Cheers

Old 07-17-2008, 07:27 PM
porshaw is on a distinguished road
Those are some serious allegations of a reputable shop. I thought from your story that it was unreasonable of you to request a full refund from a blown speaker when they offered a replacement. Further, he offered you a full refund on your system that you used for several months? What retailer would offer that?? Seems like he has dealt with you in a more than fair manner. I have never dealt with Reus in any manner or form. It bothers me as a non interested third party that you just throw out these allegations of a reputable shop so casually on a car forum. Hopefully, we get to hear both sides of the story.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:50 PM
Their installers are all over these forums...I'm sure one of them will chime in.

I never said they didn't handle my case properly. They did a fine job at that.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sound System in the 996?