996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Sound System in the 996?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 04:40 AM
Obsideon is on a distinguished road
Question Sound System in the 996?

I've browsed around the forum and haven't found much information regarding upgrading the sound system. There isn't a Sound System forum that I missed is there?

Does anybody upgrade their sound system here? If so what did you guys get? I've heard that if you change something it might screw up the entire system so you have to change it all? (headunit, amp, speakers, etc) I'm pretty new at this so any help would be appreciated.

The reason I ask is that my GF got me an Alpine DVD-multimedia LCD headunit. I am really happy but now I have to worry about the concerns of getting it installed without any hiccups. Am I going to need a new amp? What about my existing parts, also I have the upgraded equalizer system (the panel with all the buttons like "Pop, Room, etc" and the other buttons like 'DYN'), do I lose all of that? (I never really use those buttons though) Would my CD changer in my trunk still work? Can I make it work with the new unit?

In need of help please! Thanks!

Old 06-19-2008, 07:00 AM
swift996 is on a distinguished road
Yeah just throw an intake on, no need for tunes.

Old 06-19-2008, 07:34 AM
Ubermensch is on a distinguished road
I would think a search should turn up plenty of results on upgrading your system. If not here, then try rennlist and renntech. To answer your question, the upgradability of your car depends on what's currently installed. Systems with MOST are pretty simple to upgrade. Try a search and if that doesn't answer your question post some details about your car and what you want to do.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:01 AM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
Here's my DIY thread-
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...talled+kenwood

I upgraded to a Kenwood DNX7100 double-DIN NAV/DVD/Ipod unit. Just upgrading the head unit made a huge diff. Wiring to the factory bose amp was super simple. I have the bose option. You can yank the head unit, DSP unit and CD changer and put in an aftermarket head unit without much hassle. Some details on the install are different depending on what year your pcar is.

Search the forums for "installed Kenwood" and you'll get back a lot of relevant results.

Old 06-19-2008, 01:02 PM
angldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud of
search the forum for a company call REUS audio, Rick and Cliff. they do amazing work on high end cars. they did the install on my car and it's SICK! works with the stock radio and they fly out to your house to do the install

Old 06-19-2008, 01:46 PM
ElusiveC4 will become famous soon enough
Changing out the head unit to a aftermarket one with a good built in amp will make a huge difference and really open up the stock speakers (mids/tweeds). The install tech recommended to just leave them in there once he heard how it sounded with the new head unit and I simply added some subs and an amp to even it all out. Overall it works pretty well, so unless your a complete audiophile something like that should do.

Old 06-19-2008, 02:01 PM
Banned
Benjamin Choi will become famous soon enough
I must've spent like $3500 on focals, alpines and **** and i'm still not 100% happy without an enclosure which will add another $2k to a depreciating asset that is our 911.

for those saying all you need is engine noise... what are you senile? j/k

Old 06-19-2008, 02:17 PM
lilstan is on a distinguished road
There are plenty of optioins you can do, it just depends on how much you want to spend.

Old 06-19-2008, 02:24 PM
angldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud of
benjamin, you gotta get the REUS rear view mirror tweeters, makes a HUGE difference

Old 06-19-2008, 02:33 PM
Banned
Benjamin Choi will become famous soon enough
i need more deep low end bass... don't want more treb

Old 06-19-2008, 05:53 PM
Dharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud of
I have to disagree with ElusiveC4, changing the head unit with the stock speakers is a waste of time and money. The stock speakers are the weakest link in the whole systems. I put Focal 100KP's in the dash, 100DA's in the rear and 5WS subs in the doors, and a 6 channel JL amp, still using the stock head unit and CD player and it sounds great. A new head unit would be even better, but I will put my system up against any system using the stock speakers, nothing will make them sound decent.

Old 06-19-2008, 07:00 PM
himself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Obsideon
I've browsed around the forum and haven't found much information regarding upgrading the sound system. There isn't a Sound System forum that I missed is there?

Does anybody upgrade their sound system here? If so what did you guys get? I've heard that if you change something it might screw up the entire system so you have to change it all? (headunit, amp, speakers, etc) I'm pretty new at this so any help would be appreciated.
I have a full Focal, JL and Audison system with custom woofer box. All from Car Audio Innovations (http://www.caraudioinnovations.com/porsche.htm). This is an awesome system. Not cheap, but if you want something that sounds right, this is the way to go. There is a full write-up (including the fake floor for the amp), pics, and a second linked write-up with more pics, here.

As a backup sound system, I also have Fabspeed muffler bypass pipes. Both work

-td

Old 06-19-2008, 09:56 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
replace spkr, amp if you want the best sound with your new HU.

most system needs a lot more rewiring.

the cdc will be useless without stock HU.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:26 PM
LowStro9 will become famous soon enough
bump it up a bit.....

Old 06-20-2008, 08:14 AM
VERY nice bro

Originally Posted by LowStro9
bump it up a bit.....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sound System in the 996?