996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Scratched Center Consoles. What are the alternatives?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 10:59 AM
yellowbmr is just really niceyellowbmr is just really niceyellowbmr is just really niceyellowbmr is just really niceyellowbmr is just really nice
Scratched Center Consoles. What are the alternatives?

I am looking for an affordable solution to replace the center console or modify it (paint, leather, etc).

Have you guys tried to leather it at an upholstery shop?
How about paint?

Please advise.

Thanks.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:09 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
I was planning on upgrading to CF console to match my steering wheel then cover it with paint protection film. I know local upholstery shop that could wrap it in leather, suede, etc... if I wanted.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:10 AM
RocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant future
Bumperplugs.com >>>

Old 07-24-2008, 11:31 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RocC4S
Bumperplugs.com >>>
Ditto. I just got my plugs yesterday from Eric. FAST service. (door plug and bumper plugs)

Old 07-24-2008, 11:34 AM
yellowbmr is just really niceyellowbmr is just really niceyellowbmr is just really niceyellowbmr is just really niceyellowbmr is just really nice
Bumperplugs.com , i checked, it's only paint , not leather.
And with a black car, and black console, it be a scratch magnet.

Old 07-24-2008, 01:14 PM
uberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond repute
mine is scratched to sh!+ too... I would love to do Alcantara on it.. not the ebrake/shifter... i mean the whole center console.

has anyone done it in leather or alcantara? pics please.
I am curious how it looks where like the ashtray& window controls thing meets to the console... won't the material get all screwy there??

Old 07-24-2008, 01:27 PM
erubin will become famous soon enough
+1 Alacantra

Old 07-24-2008, 01:38 PM
porsche4391 is on a distinguished road
that would looks so nice...and feel so nice too...i have a grey one and its pretty scratched up too...kinda my fault when i was trying to install the short shifter lol

Old 07-24-2008, 02:22 PM
Doc_Porsche will become famous soon enoughDoc_Porsche will become famous soon enough
yup.... +2 alacantra

Old 07-24-2008, 02:36 PM
nineninesixer! is on a distinguished road
In the long run, hows does alcantara stand up to the sun and the oil and sweat from our hands?

Old 07-24-2008, 02:43 PM
Just got back from upholstery shop (they do great work), and he refused to wrap it in leather. he said it be almost impossible to get the leather around the ashtray and the glove box lock button.

I asked him to drill the sides to open up space, and the answer was no.

Carbon fiber is the ultimate choice but very pricey.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:18 PM
Banned
Benjamin Choi will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by yellowbmr
Carbon fiber is the ultimate choice but very pricey.

agreed

Old 07-24-2008, 05:31 PM
uberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by yellowbmr
he said it be almost impossible to get the leather around the ashtray and the glove box lock button.
exactly my concern... would have to file away about 1/8inch of the plastic console material to leave room for the leather or alcantara to fit....
hmm, or just do one piece alcantara across it all...
like the window switches would be hidden... just a little bump in the alcantara.

nineninesixer!
i think the alcantara would hold up pretty well... completely synthetic product and supposedly very resistant to staining. i would imagine better than leather... though my car's ceiling is alcantara so not sure I will find out about stains on it any time soon.

Old 07-24-2008, 05:33 PM
nineninesixer! is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by uberpoop
exactly my concern... would have to file away about 1/8inch of the plastic console material to leave room for the leather or alcantara to fit....
hmm, or just do one piece alcantara across it all...
like the window switches would be hidden... just a little bump in the alcantara.

nineninesixer!
i think the alcantara would hold up pretty well... completely synthetic product and supposedly very resistant to staining. i would imagine better than leather... though my car's ceiling is alcantara so not sure I will find out about stains on it any time soon.
Thanks for the info, I was told before that someone had an alcantara steering wheel and after a couple of months the area that is grabbed onto most of the time turned darker and harder.

Old 07-24-2008, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by nineninesixer!
Thanks for the info, I was told before that someone had an alcantara steering wheel and after a couple of months the area that is grabbed onto most of the time turned darker and harder.
well... i got my info on the internet, and i dont believe anything from Al Gore...
seriously though, heard that, i think on here there is a thread in 996 forum about alcantara dashes... thats where i got my 'stain resistant' propaganda.

is a thread worth finding... the one guy in san diego had alcantara dash done with pics, and it is just gorgeous.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.