996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Which wing? Thouhts please...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 12:48 PM
neilwight is on a distinguished road
dervish,
i agree exactly with your thoughts ref the big wing. if you arent putting on a gt3 front end then not only will it look odd but your cars delicate balance will be all off too.

have you thought of fitting the carrera rear wing. it is OEM, fits in in place of the retracting spoiler and the best looking thing there is for cars running subtle styling or just keeping the very underrated clean look. the problem with many wings is that you need to something up front to stop it looking odd, atleast this is porsches option to add more without messing things up. it essentially just gives you a sort of permanently up decklid.
it bolts inplace of the mechanical wing too so its an easy fit and relatively cost effective in terms of painting and fitting.

Last edited by neilwight; 08-21-2008 at 12:56 PM.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:00 PM
TKTB8 is on a distinguished road
I am putting the techart on my 996. It's not overly aggressive and the lines look really good on the 996, imo.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:27 PM
TMAC will become famous soon enough
I am in the same boat, I want wing but I can't decide on which one........... Good luck with your search

Old 08-23-2008, 03:39 AM
Dervish is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by neilwight
dervish,
i agree exactly with your thoughts ref the big wing. if you arent putting on a gt3 front end then not only will it look odd but your cars delicate balance will be all off too.

have you thought of fitting the carrera rear wing. it is OEM, fits in in place of the retracting spoiler and the best looking thing there is for cars running subtle styling or just keeping the very underrated clean look. the problem with many wings is that you need to something up front to stop it looking odd, atleast this is porsches option to add more without messing things up. it essentially just gives you a sort of permanently up decklid.
it bolts inplace of the mechanical wing too so its an easy fit and relatively cost effective in terms of painting and fitting.
I've looked at the Carrera wing but feel it's lacking something, the TA style is actually very similar but extends over the arches slightly more, same rise though. There's a few guys here who have it on their cars but I'm just not 'feeling' it.
Right now I've got the cup lip attached which actually extends as low as the GT3 front end. When comparing the stock PU with cup lip and the GT3 PU they are actually very similar, it's the edges which are more agressively aero on the GT3. I'm not saying it's as good as, I'm not delusional , but it does add increased downforce on the front end. Over 110-120 it definetly feels alot more front end planted, had her at 165 and still pushing recently and there was no light feeling on the front end...

Old 08-23-2008, 06:40 AM
Steve Germany will become famous soon enough
I stopped over to the TechArt showroom in Leonberg, Germany to look at the wings. The wing III was beautiful. The Wing two was in the why bother category. The 1 was too heavy looking and IMHO really put the car off balance. I liked the look on my 964, the frog eyes seemed to balance it out.

1890 euro for the wing
670 euro for the paint
295 euro for the installation
1349 euro tax

Old 08-23-2008, 06:47 AM
Dervish is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Steve Germany
1890 euro for the wing
670 euro for the paint
295 euro for the installation
1349 euro tax

I can get the TypeIII for £1400 in the UK from official dealer!

Old 08-25-2008, 04:42 PM
Diablo79 will become famous soon enough
why not the GT3 MKII? That's a great wing! I agree that the Precision Wing is not enough of a statement, but still makes a presence. I have never understood why people like that "taco" style wing...I say go GT3 MKII. I love the rest of the car! Looks clean without the side skirts too

Old 07-31-2009, 04:48 AM
randy308 will become famous soon enough
any idea cost wise what to exspect from porsche for the carrera wing ppainted and installed....thanks randy

Old 07-31-2009, 04:51 PM
SKY213 is on a distinguished road
I like GT3 RS wing look cool

Old 08-13-2009, 01:52 PM
c4s 2nv is on a distinguished road
speedart SAR wing!!!

Old 08-13-2009, 02:09 PM
PorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to all
Originally Posted by neilwight
dervish,
if you arent putting on a gt3 front end then not only will it look odd but your cars delicate balance will be all off too.
Here's what that insert base RS wing looks like with a turbo front bumper.

Last edited by PorschePRH; 08-13-2009 at 03:05 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:35 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Personally, I'm a fan of the TechArt wing. Low enough that it flows with the lines of the car well, but high enough that it still makes a bold statement and adds an aggressive flair to the rear of the car.

Let me know if I can be of any assistance, whichever direction you decide to go.