996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Spent an hour or so today at IPD/RSS, plenum installed - my impressions-

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 04:23 PM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Spent an hour or so today at IPD/RSS, plenum installed - my impressions-

I picked up an IPD/RSS plenum from a fellow 6speeder last week, after installing it there was a slight issue with one of the mounting bolts not tightening properly. Not a huge deal, it could be easily fixed by doing a re-tap of the hole threads etc.

However, the seller being the stand-up guy that he is called Greg at RSS and informed him of the issue. I got a call from Greg the next day and he told me to come on down and based on this particular situation and the original owner they would swap it out for a new one. Wow how is that?

So I just went down there today, met Greg and Eric. I talked shop with Eric for a bit, and Greg gave me a tour of the facilities. I was amazed how much they have going on over there- complete hi-tech machine shop, everything is made on-site with the plenums as well as other performance go-fast goodies.

Everyone there was very friendly, easy to talk to and extremely knowledgeable with Euro-car performance. Not something you run across often these days. The facilities in general are very clean and professional, but not stuffy. It feels like a car-guy type of place .

Eric grabbed my keys, pulled my pcar into their shop and one of their techs swapped out the plenum for a new one. After a quick test drive of my car I was good to go. I think the longest wait was letting the car cool off a bit before they worked on it.

Alright so now that question everyone wants to know- Does it make a difference?? My 997 pcar is stock except for KN intake. I have to say "yes" it does make a difference. Where I had that slight soft spot midway through the RPM range it has now diminished. So the pull is more evenly strong from low up through high rpm. It's enough to make me not want to take it off the car. Sorry I don't have anything more technical to back it up, the butt dyno and mental guesstimator will have to suffice for now.

I want to thank Greg and Eric at RSS for going out of their way to exchange the part along with the free shop labor. I have to give their operation two thumbs up across the board, and I do feel there is indeed merit to the plenum as a performance enhancing product.

Last edited by p0rsch3; 08-26-2008 at 04:26 PM.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:55 PM
Denis GTPRO is on a distinguished road
NICE! they are top notch people there at RSS and stutgart. Not a higher class of people around

Old 08-26-2008, 06:00 PM
Banned
Benjamin Choi will become famous soon enough
all this post told us what we already know.... greg and company are very good at customer service and have a great shop. kudos to them and good times for you - part of the purchasing experience/entertainment value.

as to the butt dyno remarks... they're honestly worthless.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:51 PM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
^ LOL - True true, no high-tech evaluations implied.

Ben send me $100 for dyno time and I'll post up some hard numbers by Friday for the "we" crowd (who is "we"?). I'd be interested to see the graphs as well.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:58 PM
Denis GTPRO is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by p0rsch3
^ LOL - True true, no high-tech evaluations implied.

Ben send me $100 for dyno time and I'll post up some hard numbers by Friday for the "we" crowd (who is "we"?). I'd be interested to see the graphs as well.
ill dyno you for free

Old 08-26-2008, 07:13 PM
Damn- I was just out your way today Denis, could have swung by. Shoot me a PM.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:01 PM
nine9six will become famous soon enoughnine9six will become famous soon enough
Thats awesome! This will definetly be my next mod!