996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Where to buy oil & filter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 03:10 AM
tsweat is on a distinguished road
Where to buy oil & filter

I know -- Loren's site has the info for the DIY's, and I downloaded the info. Just curious if you guys know who has the best deal on Mobil-1 (either online or auto supply house).

Also, get the filter from the dealer or same place as the oil??

Thinking of trying to tackle that puppy this weekend...

Thanks,
Tim

Old 08-18-2004, 03:21 AM
Poursha is on a distinguished road
You can get Mobil 1 0W-40 for $4.99 at Kragen, and they often have $1 off coupons.

Or you could go to Park Place Porsche--they usually have a good price on their website.

Old 08-18-2004, 05:11 AM
LVDell is on a distinguished road
I asked this very question over on rennlist and basically the 4.99 was the best at Kragen's/Checker. Some peope in the midwest reported getting a 5 qt jug for $20 ($4/qt) at WalMart. No such luck here. I buy it for the 4.99 at Checker and they will occasionally have the $1 off (limit 6) in their calendars.

Old 08-18-2004, 09:53 AM
tsweat is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the info guys...

Tim

Old 08-18-2004, 08:00 PM
NC Bob is on a distinguished road
Bought the filters from Sunset Porsche and the oil from Pep Boys. Sunset was a lot cheaper than my local dealer and Pep Boys was $5/qt.

Old 08-19-2004, 03:57 AM
Former Vendor
Wheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond repute
WalMart

One of the guys mentioned on the rennlist boards that WalMart has pretty good prices. He quoted something like $4- average per qrt.

-Eli

Old 08-19-2004, 06:54 AM
Eli, The $4 avg was for the 5 qt jug at $20. Their single qt price is about 4.80......not worth the $0.19 discont to get me into that place.

Old 08-19-2004, 06:58 AM
yellowbmr is just really niceyellowbmr is just really niceyellowbmr is just really niceyellowbmr is just really niceyellowbmr is just really nice
not to be annoying or anything, but you guys

drive $80,000 cars and worry about $1.00 off or .50 cents off per quart of oil....

spend the extra, jeeez, and have the dealer work on these babies.

Old 08-19-2004, 07:05 AM
Former Vendor
Wheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: not to be annoying or anything, but you guys

Originally posted by yellowbmr
drive $80,000 cars and worry about $1.00 off or .50 cents off per quart of oil....

spend the extra, jeeez, and have the dealer work on these babies.
I've always bought mine here at work so I'm really only trying to jump in on the Q&A.... Yes at times I also wonder why the 996 drivers worries about savings so much.

Could be that some over spent, could be force of habit or could be that some have always been that way.....

Either way, I'm just trying to help out.

BTW: I hate the "steeler" working on small things such as an oil change, they don't clean and detail like I do. . . .

Changing your oil is part of the joy!

-Eli

Old 08-19-2004, 07:41 AM
easy there yellowbmr....just as Eli said, working on the car doing stuff like the oil change is part of the enjoyment of owning a P-Car.

And it has nothing to do with spending the extra. That is just an assinine response.

Did you pay sticker. You sound like the ***** salesman when my uncle posed the question "what kinda gas mileage does this 911 get" and his response was "you shouldn't have to ask that question if you can afford one of these". Nothing wrong with shopping for the best price.

How in the world do you think wealth is made? Careless spending? Come on, you really didn't mean what you said did you?

Old 08-19-2004, 08:14 AM
Dr. T will become famous soon enough
Can't imagine owning performance cars and not doing as much of the work myself as possible. For me that's a major part of the enjoyment.
-Glen

Old 08-19-2004, 08:28 AM
1999 C4 Cab 6 Speed
my996 will become famous soon enough
Dr. T and Dell, I second that notion. I do not want to pay my dealer $200 for an oil change - call me cheap, but to me thats throwing money away.

BTW, Meijer's is the place to go - when the oil is on sale - buy in bulk. I have also seen it on sale at Sams Club now and then.

Old 08-19-2004, 11:59 PM
yellowbmr is just really niceyellowbmr is just really niceyellowbmr is just really niceyellowbmr is just really niceyellowbmr is just really nice
i guess i am afraid of not doing it right

and then blowing up the engine and end up paying more to fix it.

it's happened in the beamer world.

Old 08-20-2004, 06:25 AM
Porsche Chick
RobynC will become famous soon enoughRobynC will become famous soon enough
Re: i guess i am afraid of not doing it right

Originally posted by yellowbmr
and then blowing up the engine and end up paying more to fix it.

it's happened in the beamer world.
Well, the first time you do an oil change on your own car, the rewards of knowing you did it yourself are pretty cool and often times have nothing to do with the fact that you are saving $100 or so. I love crawling under my car, it's part of the ownership experience. Don't be afraid. That is the nice thing about this community, we can support ourselves with information so we don't have to worry about doing it wrong. Oil change in a Pcar is a piece of cake.

Old 08-20-2004, 07:20 AM
Robyn, excellent point. You did forget the other type of support we get here in the P-Car community.......MODS!!! Quite addictive at that.

Never a shortage of mod advice, help with installs, not to mention several people will let you check theirs out (if you are in the area) to help you decide by checking it out in person before you buy.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Where to buy oil & filter