996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

How to remove and replace front lip spoiler

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 01:47 PM
rustman is on a distinguished road
How to remove and replace front lip spoiler

I have a 2003 C4S and I need to remove and replace my front lip spoiler. Can anyone please provide some guidance how to get the darn thing off? Does the entire bumper need to be removed to do this or does it just pop off and pop back on? I did a search but was unable to find anything.

Thanks in advance.
Rusty

Old 01-30-2009, 01:53 PM
RocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant future
As far as I can remember...On each end next to the fender wells there are two phillips screw heads, one on each side. Then it just basically pops out, use a forcefull grip and yank downwards. Are you replacing with another C4S or a TT version? Hope this helps.

Old 01-30-2009, 03:13 PM
RocC4S,

So it just snaps out and in? Did you have to remove the bottom splash pannel underneith the car before you try and pull down on the lip spoiler because it appears it is mated flush against the bottom side of the lip spoiler where the mounting holes are? Yes I am replacing it original spoiler with the TT spoiler to add addtional down force due to installing the Misha wing.

Thanks Rusty

Old 01-30-2009, 03:42 PM
911C4S has a spectacular aura about911C4S has a spectacular aura about911C4S has a spectacular aura about
Front spoiler

Just unscrew the two phillips and you're good to go. The lip will slide out. You might have to pull down a little (little force) to remove the lip from the rectangular cut out slots throughout the top portion of the lip. I'm not mechanically inclined and it was very easy. Good luck!

Old 01-30-2009, 07:25 PM
RocC4S and 911C4S, thanks for the info; that took all of 10 minutes. Now I have nothing to do saturday. I guess I just have to mow the lawn "Bummer"

Thanks again,
Rusty

Old 01-31-2009, 12:59 AM
Ray
Former Vendor
Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !
After you did it once, it will take you 5 min next time! If you want more down force, you may consider aero front lip. Is a direct fit with your C4S bumper. You will really feel it has more down force at highway!

Old 02-01-2009, 01:35 PM
canada is on a distinguished road
ray,

Will your front lip fit my 2002 c4 cab, if so is the install the same as the above mentioned?

Sorry I don't mean to hijack the thread?

- marc

Old 02-01-2009, 02:25 PM
Ray
Former Vendor
Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by canada
ray,

Will your front lip fit my 2002 c4 cab, if so is the install the same as the above mentioned?

Sorry I don't mean to hijack the thread?

- marc
Sorry, my aero front lip will only fit with Turbo or C4S bumper. There are not many choice of front lip for standard carrera bumper other than whole bumper cover replacement.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:53 PM
canada is on a distinguished road
thanks for the info

Old 02-02-2009, 11:24 PM
xquizitcustoms is a jewel in the roughxquizitcustoms is a jewel in the roughxquizitcustoms is a jewel in the roughxquizitcustoms is a jewel in the rough
Nice lip, too bad I'll never get up my driveway with a lip like that.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:27 AM
turbomik1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RocC4S
As far as I can remember...On each end next to the fender wells there are two phillips screw heads, one on each side. Then it just basically pops out, use a forcefull grip and yank downwards. Are you replacing with another C4S or a TT version? Hope this helps.
he's right that's just about how i got mine off, u have to be forcefull but gental, you'll be amaze it's easy!! Good luck!!

Old 02-21-2012, 07:19 PM
stevekat is on a distinguished road
I think you want to tilt up or down on the existing lower spoiler to help clear the tabs embedded in the bumper. Also, I found when installing the new part it is best to start in the middle, and get the little nub on the back of the lower spoiler that marks its center in the slot in the back of bumper channel and work it out carefully to each side. I used a rubber mallet to gently seat the spoiler in the slot though one could probably bang it with one's hand. I then found I needed to use a flat screw driver to gently lift each of the ends of the lower spoiler over the ends of the bumper where the two phillips screws secure it. Took about ten minutes. Very happy this was the design - when I first looked at it, before reading this thread, I thought I might have to remove the entire front bumper.

Last edited by stevekat; 02-21-2012 at 07:22 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:36 PM
TurboCab is on a distinguished road
1. First remove both the phillips screws at each corner.
2. There are about 10 tabs under the front facia, and ten matching holes on the lip. To remove it, you simply pull down with some pressure, more than light but not yanking it, and the tabs will pop out one by one.
3. Replace the lip by lining it up and then starting from the center push the tabs back into their matching holes (on the lip). It doesn't take a lot of pressure, but they will "click" into place one by one.
In order to get the ends to fit back into place, you can take the handle end of the rubber mallet you will later use to seat the lip and have someone apply pressure to the wheel well screw location until you can reseat the end of the lip.
4. Finally, use a cloth to cover the lip and the mallet to tap it firmly into place.

Given the excellent instructions already in this thread, this one might be redundant.

Last edited by TurboCab; 04-11-2012 at 12:42 PM.