996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

turbo kit options?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 12:19 PM
tomjack will become famous soon enoughtomjack will become famous soon enough
turbo kit options?

Greetings- I just registered and this is my first post. I have recently been shopping for a 996TT but have decided I really would like a TTCab.
Unfortunately, they are out of my price range. My latest thought is to buy a 996 C4 Cab and install an aftermarket turbo kit, essentially giving me a 996TT Cab at the end of the day.

Can other members chime in about the pros and cons of this idea? Also, what can I expect to spend if I source all the parts, have a local mechanic do the install, and find a local tuner, as opposed to buying an off the shelf, ready to go kit?(which it appears will run over $10k)

Thanks

Old 03-11-2009, 12:28 PM
Dharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud of
Don't know of any trubo kits, but there are two supercharger kits. Do a search here and you will find information of both.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:31 PM
I've looked at some of those S/C kits and would prefer to go turbo. Looking at the hp/tq curves, the turbo's torque seems to come on a lot sooner and stronger, something that's pretty important to me.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:29 PM
scubadawg is a splendid one to beholdscubadawg is a splendid one to beholdscubadawg is a splendid one to beholdscubadawg is a splendid one to beholdscubadawg is a splendid one to beholdscubadawg is a splendid one to beholdscubadawg is a splendid one to beholdscubadawg is a splendid one to behold
Enjoy the Porsche you have now, and save up to buy a Turbo, is what I am doing.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:36 PM
NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by scubadawg
Enjoy the Porsche you have now, and save up to buy a Turbo, is what I am doing.
1+... do it the right way, or dont do it at all....

Old 03-11-2009, 04:02 PM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
Nah, it would be cheaper to just buy the TT. It's almost unheard of for people to put a turbo on a NA engine. Superchargers yes, but at today's car prices the cost of the SC plus install puts your car in the cost range of TT.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:43 PM
Doc_Porsche will become famous soon enoughDoc_Porsche will become famous soon enough
i agree.... just wait for the tt....

Old 03-12-2009, 12:50 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tomjack
I've looked at some of those S/C kits and would prefer to go turbo. Looking at the hp/tq curves, the turbo's torque seems to come on a lot sooner and stronger, something that's pretty important to me.
Even if anyone made a "turbo kit" you'd be modifying a different engine than Porsche uses for their TT's...plus you'ld have to add intercoolers and all the other "plumbing" that goes along with turbos - it would be a waste of money and much more than $10K to mod. Based on your $10K comment you were probably thinking or reading about S/C kits.

Old 03-13-2009, 11:59 AM
luva966tt will become famous soon enoughluva966tt will become famous soon enough
I thought of doing the same with my old 996 cab. Was talked out of it, just go with the turbo it will be cheaper in the long run

Old 03-13-2009, 12:18 PM
angldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud of
even though i have the VF kit on my car
i would say pass on the SC kit, you will spend more money at the end getting the kit to run perfectly
i think i spent about $20k to get my VF SC kit running perfectly

save up for a TTcab or be happy with a C4cab

Old 03-13-2009, 12:24 PM
Originally Posted by angldrkns9
even though i have the VF kit on my car
i would say pass on the SC kit, you will spend more money at the end getting the kit to run perfectly
i think i spent about $20k to get my VF SC kit running perfectly

save up for a TTcab or be happy with a C4cab
Wow! $20k? that's what I was afraid of. My problem is I'm at high altitude, so I can't be at all satisfied with a normally aspirated car. That 300 crank hp at sea level is down to about 255 at this elevation. It's just terrible.

Maybe the Porsche world is just an expensive place to be. I've got a 2005 Subaru Legacy putting out about 450 hp/ 460 tq and it wasn't very expensive at all. I probably spent no more than $8000 for a turbo, intercooler, intake, exhaust, injectors, fuel pump, BOV and custom dyno tune.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:26 PM
To everyone that says just save up for a 911TT instead, I just can't see how those numbers compare. A TT cab, for a decent car, it seems like I'm going to have to spend at least $55-60k. There are a ton of C4Cabs for around $30-35k. My thought was- add in about $10k for an aftermarket turbo setup, or do it myself, and I'm at a total of $40-45k, which is significantly better than $55.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:40 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
To everyone that says just save up for a 911TT instead, I just can't see how those numbers compare. A TT cab, for a decent car, it seems like I'm going to have to spend at least $55-60k. There are a ton of C4Cabs for around $30-35k. My thought was- add in about $10k for an aftermarket turbo setup, or do it myself, and I'm at a total of $40-45k, which is significantly better than $55.
Admirable thoughts...be sure to let us all know where you find that $10K turbo setup.

Old 03-13-2009, 02:58 PM
angldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud of
Wow! $20k? that's what I was afraid of. My problem is I'm at high altitude, so I can't be at all satisfied with a normally aspirated car. That 300 crank hp at sea level is down to about 255 at this elevation. It's just terrible.

Maybe the Porsche world is just an expensive place to be. I've got a 2005 Subaru Legacy putting out about 450 hp/ 460 tq and it wasn't very expensive at all. I probably spent no more than $8000 for a turbo, intercooler, intake, exhaust, injectors, fuel pump, BOV and custom dyno tune.
yeah the first 15k on the kit and install but the installer did a half *** job and i had lots of issues (idling issues, running lean, boost leaks, strange noises.. etc) and another 5k for another company to re-do the install and take time to figure out the how to fix the issues plus some upgrades (higher flow fan, motorsport mounts - to move the engine up a bit since my supercharger was hitting the fame before..,.. etc)

you just run into a lot of issues that may come up, for example after my supercharger setup my stock cats kept on failing/rattling, had to spend $1300 to switch to GT3 cats (i wasn't as lucky as deputydog who was able to get them warrantied thru the dealer), oil leaks (probably from the extra boost), changing spark plugs every 5k miles, changing oil every 3k, probably want to have some type of intake temperature gauage, a/f gauage, boost gauage to make sure everything is working well. it all adds up

yeah, you won't find a 10k turbo setup. i've done my research. plus, i would not recommend running more than 6lbs of boost on your NA engine so there really is no point of getting a turbo setup compared to the VF or TPC kit

Last edited by angldrkns9; 03-13-2009 at 03:02 PM.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:53 PM
c2mojo will become famous soon enough
I would try to adjust your wish of getting a cab and just get a 996TT coupe, for cheap now