996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Looking to buy 996 Carrera coupe tip. Need advice!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 08:46 PM
modded997s is on a distinguished road
Looking to buy 996 Carrera coupe tip. Need advice!

Im looking for a tip carrera coupe. Any years to watch out for or avoid? What is the difference between the 99-01 model?

Old 03-26-2009, 10:10 AM
speedyjp is on a distinguished road
I'd recommend you drive a tip before you decide. If I didn't have knee/ankle problems I would have certainly bought a manual. I drive my tip exclusively in manual mode because auto mode is an absolute dog. Check on the specs... I believe the 02+ came with the tip 's' which came with the turbos and is allegedly more responsive (an oxymoron for a tip?).

Old 03-26-2009, 10:52 AM
MCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to behold
I gotta ask why a tip. I see in your sig you drive a Benz so you are probably used to the tip but in a Pcar - having driven both - I would highly highly suggest a 6spd. Hey, the forums name isn't tiponline.com ya know!!

man, that was a terrible attempt at a joke...I apologize.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:27 AM
Ken
Ken is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by speedyjp
I'd recommend you drive a tip before you decide. If I didn't have knee/ankle problems I would have certainly bought a manual. I drive my tip exclusively in manual mode because auto mode is an absolute dog. Check on the specs... I believe the 02+ came with the tip 's' which came with the turbos and is allegedly more responsive (an oxymoron for a tip?).
Ditto - I drive a TIP due to nerve damage on the left side. I also only drive in the manual mode - but the shifts, no matter what, are really really slow. Almost like mush. Resale stinks even more on a tiptronic than the manual 996s - less people want them. I have the new transmission and it's still not good.

I'd definitely get a manual

Old 03-26-2009, 11:45 AM
PasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to all
I wouldnt say the shifting on my 02 tip is slow....

I narrowed my search to 02/03 996 b/c I read a lot of horror stories about the MK1 3.4's blowing up. Ironically, my 02 has a new motor after the 1st one threw a bearing and was replaced under extended warranty...

If you are going for a tip 02+ is the way to go. The tip used in 02+ is the turbo tip with a lot more "intelligence" and its a more robust transmission

good luck

Old 03-26-2009, 03:06 PM
modded997s is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by PasPar2
I wouldnt say the shifting on my 02 tip is slow....

I narrowed my search to 02/03 996 b/c I read a lot of horror stories about the MK1 3.4's blowing up. Ironically, my 02 has a new motor after the 1st one threw a bearing and was replaced under extended warranty...

If you are going for a tip 02+ is the way to go. The tip used in 02+ is the turbo tip with a lot more "intelligence" and its a more robust transmission

good luck
Alright so a 99-01 is now out of the question. I defiantly need the new tip tranny. I test drove a manual but for the kind of driving I do I need to have a tip car. Are there any differences on the interior on the 02's from the 99-01 cars?

Old 03-26-2009, 05:00 PM
Steve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud of
Funny a 02 motor going bang, and still the 99's get bashed. Must have been a 1 in a millon failure

Old 03-27-2009, 05:16 PM
waydeki is on a distinguished road
sorry i hit post

Last edited by waydeki; 03-27-2009 at 05:26 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:25 PM
maybe we need a tiponline...

Reading these posts, i was compelled to contribute. i get a ton o' sh-t for driving a tip/cab. but i have a few DE's under my belt in both my '99 Tip Cab and my '99 6spd Coupe at BIR and Road America. So far, i prefer the Tip. to be fair, it might be because i'm new to track driving and appreciate the ability to focus on braking and steering without the added drama of shifting. but i would definitely not dismiss the Tip (or a MkI for that matter). learning how to properly time my throttle blips upon downshifting has really enhanced the experience. i see a 996 Turbo Tip in my future. especially at the depressed prices of the 996 tip turbos.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:47 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
On one run group Im in... there is one guy running a c4s with a tip... he is the fastest in the group and leaves it in auto. A tip has advantages, makes you focus on other things. But if yoy want car/driver involvement... def a manual.

Old 03-28-2009, 01:32 PM
Long Islander has a spectacular aura aboutLong Islander has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by modded997s
Alright so a 99-01 is now out of the question. I defiantly need the new tip tranny. I test drove a manual but for the kind of driving I do I need to have a tip car. Are there any differences on the interior on the 02's from the 99-01 cars?
2002+ have a glove compartment and a different type of cupholder.

Someone made a statement about resale values on tip's being lower. To the contrary, I find that tip cars usually go for more because there are fewer of them -- only about 20% of 911's in sold in the US in 2001 were tips.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:28 AM
TraderJoe will become famous soon enough
I was going to go for a 6 speed but opted for a newer tip based on year and miles. That said, I don't like the tip controls so just ordered an F1 steering wheel. Hopefully, it cures my desire for the 6 speed...

Attached Images  
Old 03-29-2009, 09:48 AM
PorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to all
Originally Posted by TraderJoe
I was going to go for a 6 speed but opted for a newer tip based on year and miles. That said, I don't like the tip controls so just ordered an F1 steering wheel. Hopefully, it cures my desire for the 6 speed...

To the benefit of all the tip members: What does that steering wheel cost? What's involved in the install?

Oh, and my car is a tip because there was a woman involved at the time of purchase that couldn't drive a stick.

It would be really nice if there was a tuner out there that made it possible to reprogram the tranny. It's all software. The number one problem is that the tip almost always starts off in 2nd gear. I also found that down shifting in the tip is much smoother while under light throttle.

I'd be interested to hear other people's techniques for managing the tip.

Another consideration for the tip is that there seem to be a lot of failures in the 6 speed syncro's that require a complete replacement of the tranny at a cost of around $7K for a remanufactured unit. That would stink outside of warranty. I haven't heard too many issues with the tip.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:39 PM
salo65 is on a distinguished road
I've had my Tip for 2 ears after putting 40k miles on the P-Car. I like it because I can play when I want to and cruise smoothly otherwise. I track the car twice per month and like the fact that I won't be bowing the engine due to a missed shift. I've only been on the track for 10 months and frankly, am in awe with all that can heel-toe.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:09 AM
Originally Posted by TraderJoe
probably my biggest gripe is that i can't use the stick to make shifts. only the thumb controls on the wheel. maybe this is different in newer models?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy 996 Carrera coupe tip. Need advice!