996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Coolant Leak - is it the pump?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 07:27 PM
uberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond repute
OK... what next?
at this point I think the coolant is coming from behind the pulley in the top of the picture I posted at start of this thread.

water pump? after this damn tank I am almost over the DIY bit with the cooling system.
Might just take it in to one of the local indies. I'm also thinkin intake and evoms tune while it's there.
That way I don't have to say she is in the shop for repairs.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:32 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
The most common issue is the coolant expansion tank and then it drips all the way down etc.. where you're showing. Dan's got a write up of the whole issue/fix here:
http://sharkwerks.com/porsche/techni...sion-tank.html

Old 07-10-2009, 10:18 AM
uberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah I did the tank, and also replaced that hose you mentioned.
Right now that hose is bone dry, not a mark on it.
When I put my finger up behind that pulley (top arrow area in this pic), can feel the water as it makes its way down to the bolt at the lower arrow.

I think the dribbles on the hose in the first pic is from me filling the tank with water and overflow dribbling down.

Any ideas?

Attached Images  
Old 07-10-2009, 04:13 PM
BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !
yayyy...i get to pick up my baby tonight with her new coolant expansion tank and clamps. you'd think i'd be excited over getting a new mod or something, huh? lol! i haven't had her for a week now! my pcar tech is a way cool guy. he's driving her all the way back to seattle from his shop in bremerton, which is 1.5 hrs away. we take both our 996 and 986 to him!

Old 07-10-2009, 04:18 PM
oh that's cool... rub it in.
I'm still stuck driving my beater.... wah!...

anyone got any ideas on my issue? puhlease... thanks

Old 07-10-2009, 09:50 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
Old 07-11-2009, 12:38 PM
thanks for the link
looks like way more fun than the coolant tank

Old 05-20-2013, 07:30 AM
BOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to behold
Mine just did the same thing. The water pump rotor is plastic, and was busted up. It was leaking and running a little hot. Putting in an aftermarket one now. I hope those plastic bits got flushed out.