996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Question for C4s owners about road noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 04:58 AM
Albert1028 is on a distinguished road
Question for C4s owners about road noise

Hey Guys
i picked up a 2003 C4S,1 owner,23000 miles,had a PPI,checked out perfect,no accidents,when i started really driving the car i noticed lot of road noise that seems to come from the front,hard to explain(sounds like coffee pot perking fast,the rougher the road the louder it is,had a porsche tech drive the car he said he thinks its tires,i needed rears anyways so i put a set of Sumitomo HTR 111,noise is exactly the same so rule out tires,is this common with the 4S?,does the 4WD system transmit tire/road noise different?,just wondering if anyone has noticed this in there cars,i also have a 99C2 Tip and it is very smooth

any input appreciated Thanks

Albert

Old 08-26-2009, 06:47 AM
Dharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud of
Nothing like that on my 2000 C4. Have the front drive/differential checked out.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:44 PM
Brando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud of
Cool

I have no strange noise from mine.

Nothing loose or rattleing around in the spare tire well?

I'd go back and have them check the front diff and maybe also change fluid.

There was also a post on here from a shop about a common problem with wheel bearings. Maybe have those checked.

Last edited by Brando; 08-26-2009 at 01:01 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:29 PM
plan-b is on a distinguished road
No oddball noises in my 04 C4S either.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:44 PM
fotostars has much to be proud offotostars has much to be proud offotostars has much to be proud offotostars has much to be proud offotostars has much to be proud offotostars has much to be proud offotostars has much to be proud offotostars has much to be proud of
Sorry to hear that. Possible stupid stuff: Loose jack or loose tool box or loose spare...
Check under and around the carpet in the front trunk...

You shouldn't have any rattling noise, for sure not metal-to-metal...

I have terrible road noise with Toyo R888 but quiet with Michelin PS2....

Good luck!

Old 08-28-2009, 09:27 PM
Dscott is on a distinguished road
No noise like you describe with my 2000 C4 6 speed. You might also want to check front CV joints, wheel bearings, and even brakes.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:25 AM
bentlink is on a distinguished road
I too have an indeterminant noise -- though it's probably the Khumo Ecsta XS's wearing down (315, so wider than stock.)

Old 09-15-2009, 11:13 AM
Billy Bar is on a distinguished road
porshe cs4 road noise

does the noise go away / reduce on a smooth road surface? My noise goes almost completely away on a smooth road. I have a lot of road noise, spoke to lots of experts, all think road noise from tyres. Yesterday I borrowed a set of wheels and tyres, still the same. The level is at times unbearable. The noise is so bad that the car will have to go and I will revertback to an "ordinary" model. Still investigating. Will post any news.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:28 AM
SoCal C4S has much to be proud ofSoCal C4S has much to be proud ofSoCal C4S has much to be proud ofSoCal C4S has much to be proud ofSoCal C4S has much to be proud ofSoCal C4S has much to be proud ofSoCal C4S has much to be proud ofSoCal C4S has much to be proud ofSoCal C4S has much to be proud ofSoCal C4S has much to be proud of
Where are you doing the majority of your driving in it? On the freeway, rural roads, city roads? I have the same car and setup except for tires; I have Pirelli P-Zero's on mine, and I only get a fair amount of road noise.

Old 09-16-2009, 05:14 AM
Albert1028 is on a distinguished road
my noise also almost completely goes away on a smooth road,i think we have the same noise,does it sound like a coffee pot perking load and fast?,please keep me posted if you find anything,im also going nuts with this

Thanks
Albert

Old 09-16-2009, 07:55 AM
Billy Bar is on a distinguished road
road noise

has yourc4 had an accident, mine has, and i am beginng to suspect thats the reason some cars do not suffer from the problem and some do. Also, I have just been to Porshe dealership and newer models have a stainless steel stabiliser bar that conects the lower / outer bumper to the chassis, just in front of the exhaust baffeler. In the later models the rear bumper is therefore a lot stiffer, perhaps deadening the reverberation of noise. It would hurt to make two such bars and fit them.
Billy Bar

Old 09-16-2009, 08:45 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Wheel bearings do wear out on the C4S - it's not an uncommon issue. One was replaced on my C4S last year.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:43 PM
L8braker is a name known to allL8braker is a name known to allL8braker is a name known to allL8braker is a name known to allL8braker is a name known to allL8braker is a name known to all
I just bought a 02 C4S and on the drive home it was very quiet with no problems. The only thing I did notice was on grooved concrete between 74-76mph the tires made alot of noise. Anything under 74 was fine and anything over 76 is fine so mine is 100% tire related. My car has new Pilot sports up front and 1/2 worn PS2's in the rear.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:24 PM
gareth is on a distinguished road
Hi Albert, I am new to this web site, and unfortunately I can't send you a private message until I've made 15 posts? However, can you contact me somehow, as I have EXACTLY the same issue as you had explained . . In desperate need of your help, I would be much obliged.

G.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:39 PM
Jcusa is a splendid one to beholdJcusa is a splendid one to beholdJcusa is a splendid one to beholdJcusa is a splendid one to beholdJcusa is a splendid one to beholdJcusa is a splendid one to beholdJcusa is a splendid one to behold
I have a C4 too and no strange noises... Could it be a worn out shock if it's not the tires?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Question for C4s owners about road noise