996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Water pump hose snapped.. Coolant everywhere, Please help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 11:03 PM
DjDizolve is on a distinguished road
Water pump hose snapped.. Coolant everywhere, Please help!

Hey guys,

New to the Porsche community hoping somebody can help me!
Today I was installing a new intake system in my 99' NB Carrera and as I pulled the oil filler hose to clip it on the top of my intake, it pulled the small coolant hose that feeds the water pump and caused the connector (where the hose meets the pump) to snap off.
It was very brittle probably due to heat and old age and needless to say the part of the water pump where the coolant hose connects broke off inside of the hose and coolant went all over the place.

My question is, do need a new water pump just so I can have a new connector for the water pump coolant intake?
Is there any other workaround for this?
If not how hard is it to swap out the water pump and are there any DIY install guides online?
With the airbox out, it just looks like two bolts to swap it out, but I've never done it before.

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Jeremie

Old 11-29-2009, 01:54 AM
FLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud of
...sounds like you just need new hoses, not a new water pump...

...I highly recommend using a UVIEW 550500 Airlift II Cooling System Tool (requires an air compressor) when it's time to refill the coolant...
http://uview.com/

Old 11-29-2009, 09:20 AM
Dharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud of
If the actual tube that is part of the waer pump casting and fits into the hose broke off you will need a new water pump. Look on Ebay, you can get an OEM of aftermarket for about $100. Kind of a pain to change out as some of the bolts are hard to get at with the engine carrier in place. There are some DIY's either herre or on Rennlist or Renntech. If you put a jack (with a pad, I used a piece of 2x12) under the oil pan to hold up the engine you can take off the engine carrier and have easy access.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:20 PM
Thanks guys.. I got it back up and running.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:25 AM
cakasa will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by djdizolve
thanks guys.. I got it back up and running.
tell us what you did????????

Old 12-01-2009, 08:44 PM
Porsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to behold
that little plastic piece held on by a 10mm nut? rubber hose in one side and rubber hose in the other side? they are extremely brittle, especially on older models. real easy to break, a new one can be had from the parts department or you can come up with a homemade solution in a bind.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:46 PM
Porsche 917..
Yes, thats exactly what it was. Once the engine cooled down and i was able to get back there and see what it was, I realized it was just a plastic piece that bolts to the top of the motor and connects an upper coolant hose to a lower one. I went to my local hardware store and bought a brass 5/8" hose connecter and clamps and refilled the coolant.. Presto! Been fine since. Thanks for the help guys!

Old 12-02-2009, 06:07 AM
L8braker is a name known to allL8braker is a name known to allL8braker is a name known to allL8braker is a name known to allL8braker is a name known to allL8braker is a name known to all
I had a very similiar thing happen on my Lotus Esprit....wow what a mess and scary feeling to see your engine "steaming" smoke haha I thought it was catching on fire. Luckily it was just a hairline crack in the coolant hose. Make sure you use a good degreaser and clean it all off before running the car for too long.