996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

What's wrong with my fuel tank?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 08:04 PM
plan-b is on a distinguished road
What's wrong with my fuel tank?

I picked up my car last May ('04 C4S) and I've never been able to pump a full tank of fuel. I typically fill up when I'm down to a quarter tank left and the nozzle clicks full completely randomly. It's clicked as though "full" with as little as 3 gallons pumped.

On Sunday I went for a long drive and pulled up to the gas station with the on-board computer telling me 21 miles till empty. It clicked full at around 10 gallons and I didn't want an overflowing tank (which has happened) so I stopped at 12.5 gallons. The gauge read about 1/8 tank low when I started it up.

Whenever this happens, I'll manually squeeze the nozzle but it'll click every 1/10th gallon or if I'm lucky, I'll get a little over 1/4 gallon before it clicks. The times when the pump thinks I'm full at 3 or 4 gallons makes for a very looooong refueling stop.

Any ideas why I can't fill up like a "normal" car?

Old 03-09-2010, 08:08 PM
Don
Don is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to all
Try filling with the pump upside down. I've found that helps.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:38 PM
ebcarrera is a name known to allebcarrera is a name known to allebcarrera is a name known to allebcarrera is a name known to allebcarrera is a name known to allebcarrera is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Don
Try filling with the pump upside down. I've found that helps.
+1...That's what I do now and it works every time. Not sure why but it fills my tank to capacity every time

Old 03-09-2010, 09:13 PM
Wow, I never would have thought of that. Thanks! I'll give that a shot next time. Out of curiosity, how did this idea come up?

Old 03-09-2010, 10:02 PM
ebcarrera is a name known to allebcarrera is a name known to allebcarrera is a name known to allebcarrera is a name known to allebcarrera is a name known to allebcarrera is a name known to all
^^ I actually read it here on another thread. Don't recall what the name of the thread was but I got the idea from that and decided I would try it and sure enough it worked.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:55 AM
150shot is on a distinguished road
LOL on upside down, its not like we dont get enough damn looks because we are filling at the front of the car already..

Old 03-10-2010, 03:37 PM
Airrik will become famous soon enoughAirrik will become famous soon enough
LOL yeah an exotic car with an upside fuel nozzle going into the gas tank... imagine that! Yes its another thread RL (rennlist)

Old 03-10-2010, 05:42 PM
Porsche_911 will become famous soon enough
Now we know the workaround. Do we know the reason why this happens?

I have the same exact issue.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:09 PM
Not sure if I can post a direct link to rennlist but if you wander over to their 996 forum, there's a thread called "Gas pump always stops around 11 or 12 gallons" where a whole bunch of theories come up. Honestly, I wish I could get 11-12 gallons before it clicked.

Old 03-12-2010, 04:58 AM
Geschwindigkeit is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by plan-b
Not sure if I can post a direct link to rennlist but if you wander over to their 996 forum, there's a thread called "Gas pump always stops around 11 or 12 gallons" where a whole bunch of theories come up. Honestly, I wish I could get 11-12 gallons before it clicked.
Have you tried the upside down trick? I swear it works as I have never had the problem that you guys are talking about. Also, as was stated over on Rennlist, there are some really good reasons not to push the tank level below a quarter anyway.

Old 03-12-2010, 04:29 PM
Originally Posted by 150shot
LOL on upside down, its not like we dont get enough damn looks because we are filling at the front of the car already..
I hadn't thought about that...Very true and very funny

Old 03-12-2010, 08:22 PM
Haven't tried it yet, but I swear I'm gonna next time I need to refuel. I haven't driven the car since Sunday. I've spent the last 2 nights in the garage with a clay bar, polish & wax getting her nice & shiny.

Old 03-13-2010, 10:39 AM
adg44 is a glorious beacon of lightadg44 is a glorious beacon of lightadg44 is a glorious beacon of lightadg44 is a glorious beacon of lightadg44 is a glorious beacon of light
Funny - that was me who posted about this on Rennlist. Next time I fill up I'll try holding the nozzle upside-down and see if it works.

It's odd though because this never happened until it got cold outside, so maybe now that it's finally warming up this problem will go away.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:00 PM
bscrivener is on a distinguished road
I get some funny looks at the gas station with the handle upside down but it works well for me. I can usually balance it so the auto clip holds the same as if it were right side up. Still gives me a chance to check the tires and wipe off some of the never ending brake dust buildup.

-Bo

Old 03-14-2010, 11:25 AM
Omarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant future
It's a saftey feature , u have to fill it upside down

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What's wrong with my fuel tank?