996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Searched archives, but I need some help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 07:12 PM
PJF
PJF is on a distinguished road
Searched archives, but I need some help

Left 02 armed and killed battery. Of course, I cannot get access to the battery or the terminals in the engine compartment as the switched will not work. Tried the procedure in the manual and the alarm goes off, I cannot get it to turn off, and the switches still do not open either end. Also tries a lighter plug to lighter plug charger and that will make the alarm LED in the radio blink, but still not luck with the switches. If I can just get one open, then I can jump the car or trickle charge the battery. Still wonder why Porsche felt the need to not have at least one end be a cable pull. Sometimes the simplest solution is the best.

Can anyone help? I really do not want to resort to looking for the emergency cables by pulling wheel liners or tail lamps. Is there any other things that I can try? Thanks in advance for the help.

Old 03-13-2010, 07:32 PM
scubadawg is a splendid one to beholdscubadawg is a splendid one to beholdscubadawg is a splendid one to beholdscubadawg is a splendid one to beholdscubadawg is a splendid one to beholdscubadawg is a splendid one to beholdscubadawg is a splendid one to beholdscubadawg is a splendid one to behold
I would hook up a donor 12 volt battery to the fuse block area, then it should have enough jiuce to to able to open the truck or rear hood release, I found that one of those hand held booster, do not have enough current to open the soloniods on th releases, in my case, so I used jumpers from my SUV to open the trunk, alarm does sound, disconnect after the trunk is open, used booster cable to start car

Have a look at this link below.

http://perryandcoblog.com/2009/11/17...hood-solution/

Old 03-13-2010, 08:23 PM
PJF
Originally Posted by scubadawg
I would hook up a donor 12 volt battery to the fuse block area, then it should have enough jiuce to to able to open the truck or rear hood release, I found that one of those hand held booster, do not have enough current to open the soloniods on th releases, in my case, so I used jumpers from my SUV to open the trunk, alarm does sound, disconnect after the trunk is open, used booster cable to start car

Have a look at this link below.

http://perryandcoblog.com/2009/11/17...hood-solution/

Tried the procedure to a tee. When the alarm goes off, I cannot get it to shut off even if I leave the key in the door and cycle the lock as it states to do. So, the alarm is blaring and the releases still do not pop the lids.
Tried a lighter to lighter jumper and the radio blinker starts blinking, but the rest of the car stays dead. Should I try and find a lighter charger? If the alarm was on, will the lighter charger allow the battery to be charged?
I am frustrated. We finally get some good weather and I cannot get my car started.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:36 PM
scubadawg is a splendid one to beholdscubadawg is a splendid one to beholdscubadawg is a splendid one to beholdscubadawg is a splendid one to beholdscubadawg is a splendid one to beholdscubadawg is a splendid one to beholdscubadawg is a splendid one to beholdscubadawg is a splendid one to behold
When I hook the donor battery to the fuse panel it should have enough power to open the engine deck, When the alarm sounds, I put the key in the ignition and try to start it to turn off the alarm.

I know it's fustrating, I had that issue when I was about to park the car for winter and my battery went dead, I had both doors open and drained the battery, when I working on the car, I should of had a charger on it, or discounted the battery when working on it.

You have to charge it with a real charger not a trickle charger, or boost it and run it and take it for a drive for the alternator to charge it.
Are you using an Optima battery? Then once it's drained you have to use a special charging procedure or a special charger since it's an AGM type battery. It will not charge properly off the alternator.

Last edited by scubadawg; 03-13-2010 at 08:41 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:47 PM
PJF
Finally just went through the wheel well to pull the emergency release cable. Battery charged again and everything is fine. Still think that is a stupid design!
Thanks for the help.