996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

1999 996 Tiptronic trouble. I'm at a loss!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 07:18 PM
valley996 is on a distinguished road
1999 996 Tiptronic trouble. I'm at a loss!

I am afraid I don't know what is wrong. I have been to an import mechanic, the local Porsche dealership and Aamco. All say it is the transmission. The bad part is there are no codes showing. When I am driving between 1500 and 2500 rpms there is a surging. It does it in each gear. It is also worse as it is pulling a grade. I am completely lost on what to do. I would appreciate any help or advice?

89,000 miles

TESTS - Porsche Dealer -.
1. He did a 89757 internal malfunction test with piwis tester - none registered.
2. fluid level - good.
3. tested MAF - good
4. tested for power and ground on TCM module - good
5. removed torque converter lock up wire and test drove- good
6. checked fuel pressure - good
7. no codes in vehicle
8. solenoid circuits are intact and complete
9. No Tiptronic codes
----He said the main line pressure for transmission fluid control loses pressure on and off which is a sign of a weak solenoid.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:16 PM
tarzancoe will become famous soon enough
Miles

How many miles do you have?

Old 06-24-2010, 01:29 AM
rennwerkes is a splendid one to beholdrennwerkes is a splendid one to beholdrennwerkes is a splendid one to beholdrennwerkes is a splendid one to beholdrennwerkes is a splendid one to beholdrennwerkes is a splendid one to beholdrennwerkes is a splendid one to behold
Did you check O2 sensor?
It's a possibility.

Old 06-24-2010, 04:22 AM
No I didn't try the O2 sensor, because all three say it is the transmission; however, I am open to about anything now.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:10 AM
Airrik will become famous soon enoughAirrik will become famous soon enough
Did you check the coils?

Old 06-24-2010, 11:38 AM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Airrik
Did you check the coils?
I would agree. If it is alway happening under a load or a certian RPM range it could be a misfire. It should though out codes though.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:00 PM
How do I check the coils?

Old 06-24-2010, 12:57 PM
Hope this helps on the coil pack issue. This does not happen to my car if I am in park. It's only when I am in drive and moving. Could it still be the coil packs? It is smooth while revving the engine in park.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:49 PM
geetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant future
In park you're not under load. It's strange that it's happening at the same rpm in different gears. If the clutchpacks in your tranny is going, it's almost never in all gears. I'd start checking other things first before switching your tranny.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:54 PM
rennwerkes is a splendid one to beholdrennwerkes is a splendid one to beholdrennwerkes is a splendid one to beholdrennwerkes is a splendid one to beholdrennwerkes is a splendid one to beholdrennwerkes is a splendid one to beholdrennwerkes is a splendid one to behold
Have you serviced your trans?

Old 06-25-2010, 12:51 AM
tarzancoe will become famous soon enough
Mine was fine... and it started similar issues after servicing. Take to a place that do tips as they are very sensitive to poorly done servicing.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:56 PM
I have only had the car for one month. I don't know about the service. When I took it to the Porsche dealer for the PIWIS test, he did check the fluid level and it was okay. Do you still recommend the transmission service? How much do they usually cost?

Old 06-25-2010, 02:16 PM
Originally Posted by valley996
I have only had the car for one month. I don't know about the service. When I took it to the Porsche dealer for the PIWIS test, he did check the fluid level and it was okay. Do you still recommend the transmission service? How much do they usually cost?
Personally, I'd do it.
However, as the previous poster mentioned on cars that have higher mileage and have never had the trans serviced there's a small risk that the trans may react badly to the new fluid.
I have four other Mercedes with the same trans that are in the 02+ Porsches and have serviced them all. One was near 100k when I did it and no problems.
The trick is to use the correct fluid, change the filter,and I prefer to change only 4-5 qts of fluid, or whatever comes out of the drain plug rather than go with a full flush.

Old 11-18-2013, 04:56 PM
tjhavens is on a distinguished road
Hey guys, I'm new on here and was hoping for some info. I'm having the same trans issue's and was hoping someone has found a solution. I live in central Arkansas and we dont have a Porsche dealership here, so I've taken my '99 911 to 2 local "porsche" mechanics who "think" its torq converter problems but they dont know for sure. I dont want to spend that kind of $$$ to hope it will fix my issue. Any help??

Old 11-18-2013, 05:46 PM
RDykmans is on a distinguished road
I'm also new around here and have a 99 Tip also (which I just picked up). Mine has 86K miles and is due for it's first service at 90K (or at least I'm assuming it's first as I didn't get records). Is the surging you mention at a somewhat constant throttle? I haven't noticed anything like that at this point but am interested in everybody's findings.

Rich

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 1999 996 Tiptronic trouble. I'm at a loss!