996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Help problems with fuel shuting off

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 11:31 AM
Omarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant future
Help problems with fuel shuting off

hey guys a few days ago i was driving on the highway , and my car just shut off...like it was out of gas, had 3/4 tank in it , wouldnt start , just kept cranking over...was waiting for a tow , about an hr later started right up....

next day i cleaned the aitfilter/maf, engine bay ...was driving normal , then last night same thing ....just shut off...about an hr later started up like nothing ....was driving home shut off 2 more times...finally died 3 blocks from my house....went there this mourning started right up drove it home...waiting for my mechanic frined to come over....any suggestions...feels like the car is getting gas...

i dont know if its a fuel pump....fuel line...fuel filter...one thing for sure is its not getting gas....please any siggestion would help..

Old 07-04-2010, 11:10 AM
Omarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant future
Update I replaced the fuel filter , (not so fun) ... And after the car warms up it shuts off and kinda goes into a safe mode and shuts down and will only start after an hr , any help please , I have a durametric , so I can turn on and off the fuel pump with the software , but when I turn the key I don't hear anything , but the car will still start , just shuts down after about 20 min

Old 07-04-2010, 07:35 PM
Airrik will become famous soon enoughAirrik will become famous soon enough
Not sure, could be a fuel pump check the altenator for power. Post this exact issue on Pelicanparts forum, here's the link ( http://forums.pelicanparts.com/1-por...hnical-forums/ ) Rennlist, and Renntech give that a shot too.
Also try this, reset the computer module for at least 10min by disconnecting the red wire from the battery and reconnecting it. See if that works

Old 07-05-2010, 12:00 AM
Originally Posted by Airrik
Not sure, could be a fuel pump check the altenator for power. Post this exact issue on Pelicanparts forum, here's the link ( http://forums.pelicanparts.com/1-por...hnical-forums/ ) Rennlist, and Renntech give that a shot too.
Also try this, reset the computer module for at least 10min by disconnecting the red wire from the battery and reconnecting it. See if that works
i disconnected the battery for an hr....plugged it back in , let the car run for 20 min once it was warm, it shut down and wouldnt start for about an hr...im not getting any codes... i dont know what it is...would a fuel pump start after an hr if it was bad??? and it will keep starting untill the car reaches mis temperature...

Old 07-05-2010, 03:20 PM
Goldduster is on a distinguished road
Many, many years ago I had a Pontiac that would do this. It had bad valves and when they heated up the engine would shut down till they cooled. Made long trips very long.

Old 07-05-2010, 04:21 PM
something is shutting the fuel down... almost like the car is going into a safe mode and the computer is shutting off fuel , i just cant figure it out , especially since im not getting any codes...