996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Has anyone got pulled over for their loud exhaust (cat bypass & muffler bypass)?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 01:43 AM
Nine_Eleven is on a distinguished road
Has anyone got pulled over for their loud exhaust (cat bypass & muffler bypass)?

I live in California, I'm curious if anyone got pulled over because of loud exhaust (cat bypass/muffler bypass) freeway or street...

What would be the consequences (fixing ticket or ref)?

Thanks guys.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:02 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
HxCforlife has a spectacular aura aboutHxCforlife has a spectacular aura about
I have muffler bypass pipes and have never been pulled over directly for them but when being pulled over the cop would say "hey your exhaust is kinda loud" I just say it's a stock exhaust they never know crap about cars. And I live in NJ/NYC

Old 09-03-2010, 11:41 AM
uberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond repute
Not sure he would let you drive away if he knows you don't have cats...
But if they ***** about the noise, ask him how many harleys he has pulled over for noise... ever hear a stock harley fresh from factory? very quiet.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:23 PM
Troy Jollimore is on a distinguished road
That probably wouldn't get you very far...

I'd cruise/search some of the import car forums for recent answers to that one. They get pulled over for their overly-loud exhausts all the time. The saving grace has usually been that the police don't have sound meters with them to get an actual reading to see if it's illegal (kind of like getting off a speeding ticket because the cop didn't get a radar/lidar reading on you), but that may have changed.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:43 PM
User1720 is an unknown quantity at this point
buddy of mine has had bypass valves installed...its been over a year now and he never got pulled over. Im pretty sure he left the cats in place though. Lous was an understatement for his car...it was pretty bad, especially on long drives, the drone is what gave me a headache haha.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:51 PM
Ahmet will become famous soon enough
Cat and muffler bypass would be way too loud, as in (literally) needing hearing protection.
I can't even stand just an aftermarket exhaust, funny how different we are...