996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

changing the oil...quick question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 02:15 PM
Don
Don is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to all
changing the oil...quick question

I got the oil filter and it comes with an Aluminium ring, but not the right size... the filter for my old M3 came with the right size. I'm going to have to pu the old one back on. Has anyone re-used the old ring? If so, any issues?

Old 09-25-2010, 03:32 PM
fourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond repute
The crush washer? Yes- you can re-use it. Just replace it next time.

Old 09-25-2010, 04:49 PM
firemountain is on a distinguished road
Griot''s oil extractor?

I am also looking to change the oil in my '01 996 Cab for the first time. Few questions.....

1. Has anyone every used an oil extractor (from Griot's Garage) with a hand pump? I use it on my Lotus and it works great.

2. What is the recommended oil filter type to use on this car?? I am partial to the Fram oil filters with the 1' socket adaptor built onto the filter. Totally eliminates the need for a special filter wrench.....which I already have a few.

3. I know most of you use the Mobil 1 0W40 for these cars. I am somewhat partial to the AMS oil myself. Any noticable difference in the 2 oils by comparison.

Any help would be greatly appreciated....

Thanx

Old 09-25-2010, 10:16 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by firemountain
I am also looking to change the oil in my '01 996 Cab for the first time. Few questions.....

1. Has anyone every used an oil extractor (from Griot's Garage) with a hand pump? I use it on my Lotus and it works great.

2. What is the recommended oil filter type to use on this car?? I am partial to the Fram oil filters with the 1' socket adaptor built onto the filter. Totally eliminates the need for a special filter wrench.....which I already have a few.

3. I know most of you use the Mobil 1 0W40 for these cars. I am somewhat partial to the AMS oil myself. Any noticable difference in the 2 oils by comparison.

Any help would be greatly appreciated....

Thanx
the extractor should work but i dont think it'll drain any sludge on the bottom of oil pan.

oil filter is a paper element. it is a cartridge type, not same as normal cars. frame filters are considered the cheapest crap IMO.

i would used porsche approved oil only.

Old 09-25-2010, 10:23 PM
fourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond repute
I changed my oil this morning. No need to use the extractor. It is very simple to change the oil in this car. 8mm allen head for the drain plug and a regular filter wrench to get the cover off. I bought Bosch filter cartridges online for about $13 each. Plug and play. I got Castrol Syntec 5w40 oil on sale at Autozone for $6 per quart. You can also get Mobil1 ESP 5W40 at Pep Boys. I think they both sell Shell Rotella 5W40 in a gallon jug but I have not heard anything about it good or bad.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:25 PM
Don
Don is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to all
Fourempties,
Thanks for the reply.

This was my first time changing the oil in this car. It was extremely easy after I finally found a place that carried the filter and wrench.