996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

New Guy on the Block.... (3) Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 04:45 PM
RACERDEN is on a distinguished road
New Guy on the Block.... (3) Questions

First post for me, just purchased my 1st 911; a pristine 996 Targa w/29K on the odo loaded with some very cool stuff. I lost my 944 Turbo (car fire) a month past and have now stepped up and enjoying every mile driven. Bear w/me guys, I'm new to 996's so here's my questions:

1. I have a Tip, and do miss the manual trans however sometimes it's a blessing in Los Angeles traffic. In manual mode will frequent downshifts/upshifts take life off of the trans or is it built for that?
2. I'm looking for a thermostat around 175F-ish and see that Pelican services the OEM 186F and some aftermkt job that's a 160F. Any comments on where I can locate the one I'm seeking?
3. On parts and repair instructions, what's your guys recommendations on the Internet? My 944T had a site called Clark's Garage which was pretty informative when it came to the "How To's"

Thanks in advance folks!
Denny

Old 10-13-2010, 06:03 PM
tarzancoe will become famous soon enough

1. I have a Tip, and do miss the manual trans however sometimes it's a blessing in Los Angeles traffic. In manual mode will frequent downshifts/upshifts take life off of the trans or is it built for that?
It is built for that. It would not take very well mods such as supercharging engine and such, as it is the second strongest ZF transmission in 996's (Turbo and 4S ZF transmission are the strongest) but it should not give you major problems. Perhaps try to start the car and let it run a bit to warm up before taking it, but that is with pretty much all cars. If by chance you overrev the engine because you miss a shift (easy to get confused with the tip buttons), the tip should adjust automatically to protect the engine. This is the theory I have not missed one... yet.

3. On parts and repair instructions, what's your guys recommendations on the Internet? My 944T had a site called Clark's Garage which was pretty informative when it came to the "How To's"
For DIYs, http://www.renntech.org, contribute a few bucks and you'll will have access to additional stuff
For parts, looks at sponsors here, suncoast for example.

Last edited by tarzancoe; 10-13-2010 at 06:37 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:50 PM
Airrik will become famous soon enoughAirrik will become famous soon enough
Don't forget Rennlist.com (Great site)! Also I have a Tip as well if you miss a shift there is a rev limiter or something similar built into the car the car's computer will automatically up shift gears for you. It doesn't harm anything, for a tip these cars are very quick as you will see.