996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Passenger window doesn't go down/up when opening the door to prevent hitting.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 01:33 AM
nanoc15 is on a distinguished road
Fixing the regulator unit for less than $10

Hi all.
I have a 2001 996 C2. I just replaced the entire wire on the regulator for less than $10. I think instead of throwing away a good unit (regulator bracket and wheels) and paying more than $200++ just for part is insane when only the wire is broken.
I also did the other window (wire) some K miles ago and it works great.

I must admit that im really not a tech guy but i searched the web and forums for instructions on how to replace the regulator and when i had that out i just decided on replacing the wire as everything else was good.

So if i can do it - everybody else can too

Old 01-13-2014, 02:24 AM
tokyopav is on a distinguished road
Nice work. Any photos?

Old 01-13-2014, 02:35 AM
nanoc15 is on a distinguished road
Hi thanks. No - unfortunately i didnt take any. But there are a lot of youtube videos and guidance on the forum for removing the regulator. When the regulator is out you just go to your local hardware store and buy the wire, some wire clamps and tin to solder the ends.
I used a 1.6mm wire instead of the 1.5 mm OEM. And if u just look at the regulator and understand the function its just a little patience and time. The main thing is to keep the wire very streched when fitted into the green wheel on the regulator motor.

Old 05-30-2014, 02:42 PM
dantm is on a distinguished road
Hi guys, Boxster owner here -- a few days ago the passenger side window stopped going back up when the door is shut...

It does go down when the door is open but somehow (I guess) it doesn't sense the door being closed again.

What are the steps to troubleshoot?

Old 05-30-2014, 07:06 PM
jjmullen is on a distinguished road
Anyone have a grinding sound happen when operating the window up & down? This just started for me, passenger window. So if its all the way up, close the door, it doesn't drop. If I power it down or up, its making a grinding noice. Regulator? I started to pull the door panel, but I found it difficult to pull out near the airbag. Appreciate the feedback.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:46 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Grinding noise is a symptom of a failing regulator. Both of mine did it before they failed.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:56 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Probably as you've read in this, and other, threads it's your window regulator. Simply replace it.

Old 01-14-2015, 04:47 PM
freebirdbeachbum is on a distinguished road
I know this is a recurring issue and topic but what do you think about this?

My passenger window moves up and down as its supposed to but only a fraction of what is needed so it seems to me the microswitch is fine. I've done the battery disconnect move but it didnt work. Otherwise the window works perfectly. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-14-2015, 06:07 PM
rrrruben will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by freebirdbeachbum
I know this is a recurring issue and topic but what do you think about this?

My passenger window moves up and down as its supposed to but only a fraction of what is needed so it seems to me the microswitch is fine. I've done the battery disconnect move but it didnt work. Otherwise the window works perfectly. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
I recently had the same experience. It would appear that the window regulator cable is beginning to fail. Replace the window regulator. It will eventually completely fail.

Old 02-27-2018, 09:56 AM
jayi836 will become famous soon enoughjayi836 will become famous soon enough
I have a similar issue with a chattering from the window motor when the passenger door is closed the first time. This is on a 2001 996TT new purchase a few days ago. All issues described on the passager door.
The second issue is the interior light is not working at all with this door open.
I took the door panel off to fix what i though was a micro switch problem, after taking the panel off the window started lowering again! Tested each micro switch over 30 times with a meter and they were solid.
As most of you have already guessed,everything worked for a few minutes after I put the panel back on and not it’s not lowering again.
Any thoughts??? Micro switches are good on the (2) handles Is it the latch? guessing so as the interior light not working at all from this door.

Last edited by jayi836; 02-27-2018 at 10:04 AM.