996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Passenger window doesn't go down/up when opening the door to prevent hitting.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 08:42 AM
Nine_Eleven is on a distinguished road
Passenger window doesn't go down/up when opening the door to prevent hitting.

Passenger window doesn't go down/up when opening the door to prevent hitting the frame.

It usually go down (like half an inch) when opening the door so the window doesn't hit anything on top. And goes back up when closing the door.

Now that doesn't work. Is there a rely/fuse/harness. What should I check?

Old 11-05-2010, 09:42 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
It could be a window regulator, which is a common problem in the 996. Both of mine have been replaced. Can you push the window down with your hand when the door is open? If so, does it go back up when you close the door? If so, it's the regulator. It could also be microswitches in the door. Finally, it could just need to be reset. This can be accomplished by lowering the window completely then holding the switch for 15 - 20 seconds. Raise the window and do the same thing. It probably won't work - but it's worth a try.

The window regulator replacement is a fairly easy DIY if your're mechanically inclined. There's a nice step-by-step guide with photos on Renntech.org. It's for a Boxster, but the procedure is very similar.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:52 AM
gbennett is on a distinguished road
Great post; I have a similar issue on my driver's side window. I may have to peek at the DIY.

Greg

Old 11-05-2010, 05:03 PM
Ok thanks I'll try the reset first.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:25 PM
max996 is on a distinguished road
Window

Hello

Guys this has been covered several times, I just give you my paste and copy, but read the entire post from that time frame, it has some valid points pertaining your issue.

09-03-2010, 09:43 AM #22 max996

Window
FYI, all the above mentioned issues, before you replace the door assembly, try this.

Found that the door latch was sticking somewhat, not returning to it's proper position.

Caused by build up of road grime etc, solution was to externally wipe it clean and applied some silcone or whatever you have (wd-40)spray on the metal moving parts.

Works great, found out after trouble shooting both door handle micro switches, and ready to attack the door latch assembly.

And while you are at it, do the passenger side as well, it to will need lube

Old 11-07-2010, 12:50 PM
I just found out 2 things

1. When I opened the door and pushed the window down by hand, when I closed the door the window rolled up by itself.

2. When the door is close and I pull the outside door handle (just a bit) not to open the door but to see if the window would go down a bit. I hear the motor noise trying to put the window down, but the window doesn't go down.

Any input?

Cables too lose to bring the window down?

Micro-switch?

Old 11-07-2010, 01:16 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Nine_Eleven
I just found out 2 things

1. When I opened the door and pushed the window down by hand, when I closed the door the window rolled up by itself.

2. When the door is close and I pull the outside door handle (just a bit) not to open the door but to see if the window would go down a bit. I hear the motor noise trying to put the window down, but the window doesn't go down.

Any input?

Cables too lose to bring the window down?

Micro-switch?
It's a regulator.

The cables get stretched out over time, so the motor tries to lower the window, but all it does is take up the slack in the cable.

The hardest part of the DIY is removing the trim panel for the door. Look at the DIY online and you'll get some good tips.

Old 11-07-2010, 02:37 PM
If that's the hardest part then it should be a easy job. The regulator is the cable right? Where can I get it?

Old 11-07-2010, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by Nine_Eleven
If that's the hardest part then it should be a easy job. The regulator is the cable right? Where can I get it?
I bought mine at Suncoast Porsche in Florida. It was $194.40. There are left and right versions, so make sure you buy the correct one.

www.suncoastparts.com

There are other places you can buy them, but I've been happy with Suncoast. I've also used Sunset Imports in Oregon, and I've used Pelican Parts.

Last edited by Dennis C; 11-07-2010 at 09:45 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:56 AM
finanplnr22 is on a distinguished road
I jus had to replace mine las week on my pasenger side. Works great for 200 bucks

Old 11-16-2010, 03:38 PM
lorseporsche is on a distinguished road
Just had this done last week at a shop in town (Las Vegas). Total $690. Window Regulator $280. Labor and adjusting micro switches $343. Rest taxes. Cheers

Old 11-17-2010, 12:25 AM
asialors996 has a spectacular aura aboutasialors996 has a spectacular aura aboutasialors996 has a spectacular aura about
Take a look at my threads....I have one on fixing the door latch micro switch

Old 11-17-2010, 01:27 AM
carbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by asialors996
Take a look at my threads....I have one on fixing the door latch micro switch

can you please post the link for that

Old 09-20-2011, 04:23 AM
NBTBRV8 is just really niceNBTBRV8 is just really niceNBTBRV8 is just really niceNBTBRV8 is just really niceNBTBRV8 is just really nice
Can somebody please post up a DIY link on replacing the regulator

Old 09-20-2011, 11:59 PM
asialors996 has a spectacular aura aboutasialors996 has a spectacular aura aboutasialors996 has a spectacular aura about

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Passenger window doesn't go down/up when opening the door to prevent hitting.