996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

How much for a clutch job?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 03:42 PM
sempaipaul will become famous soon enough
How much for a clutch job?

Hey guys, Well its hitting the 50K mile mark and slipping a bit, so I need to start thinking about what needs to be done.

Ok I have a 2000 911 drop top. What parts do I need? what should I get done while I am down there besides the clutch? whats a good estimate as far as labor?

Thanks,
Please advice!

-Paul

Old 12-10-2010, 12:14 PM
anyone ideas?

Old 12-10-2010, 12:34 PM
jr2
jr2 is on a distinguished road
I recently had my clutch replaced and did the LNE IMS upgrade ($500 part) and RMS seal (no leakage, but put in new seal as it was a $20 part and 1/2 hour labor). With the OEM clutch kit ($500 from Suncoast), the whole thing [clutch, new slave, throw-out bearing guide (worth replacing if the transmission problem is in the throw-out bearing), IMS upgrade and RMS upgrade + all labor) was $2,500 from my indy.

I viewed it as a no-brainer to make sure the major 996 big ticket items were dealt with while we had the transmission dropped and the labor for doing them was minimal -- both for peace of mind and resale.

Old 12-10-2010, 01:30 PM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
2k-ish at the dealer.

Old 12-12-2010, 01:46 PM
IAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond repute
Should not be more than 8 hours of labor to do the clutch and RMS. Another two hours at most to do the IMS upgrade, which would be highly recommended considering your miles (or lack of miles I should say).

Old 12-13-2010, 11:49 AM
adr3naline fix is on a distinguished road
If I were you, I'd spend the $2k+ on the correct tools and put off a weekend with a buddy and some beer. (If you don't have the tools already)

Last weekend I replaced the trans in my Audi with no tranny experience - took 14 hours with a lot of futzing around, including 2 trips to the store & a chicken wings break.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:55 PM
Byprodriver is on a distinguished road
If you don't waste to much time thinking you may be able to reuse your flywheel, but since it's already slipping it might be to late.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:33 PM
IAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Byprodriver
If you don't waste to much time thinking you may be able to reuse your flywheel, but since it's already slipping it might be to late.
The dual mass flywheel can be turned by most machine shops for about 75 bucks.

Old 12-14-2010, 04:14 PM
acs-e36 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by adr3naline fix
If I were you, I'd spend the $2k+ on the correct tools and put off a weekend with a buddy and some beer. (If you don't have the tools already)

Last weekend I replaced the trans in my Audi with no tranny experience - took 14 hours with a lot of futzing around, including 2 trips to the store & a chicken wings break.
I agree with this statement... It just takes time, tools and a little know how.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:35 PM
adr3naline fix is on a distinguished road
Time + Tools = New knowledge & "Free" tools!

Old 12-15-2010, 06:03 PM
now as far as tools, what kind of special tools if any would I need? Is there any DIY anywhere?

thanks,
Paul

Old 12-16-2010, 12:12 AM
Grant P is a glorious beacon of lightGrant P is a glorious beacon of lightGrant P is a glorious beacon of lightGrant P is a glorious beacon of lightGrant P is a glorious beacon of lightGrant P is a glorious beacon of light
I think when i got it done at an independent Porsche shop, it cost about 1300 for everything with install. I paid 100 because i got a 5 year extended warranty

Old 12-02-2011, 12:13 PM
Ok. Great thanks for the advice! So I know I started this thread some time ago, however now, finally looking to pick up my clutch kit.

What do you guys suggest interms of the clutch kit? Which company? Which kit?

Also, sometime in future hoping to turbo.. should I get some sort of a heavier duty clutch? How would it ride in the mean time until turbo-ed? Would it be "user friendly"?

Thanks guys,
Paul

Old 12-02-2011, 03:49 PM
Byprodriver is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by sempaipaul
Ok. Great thanks for the advice! So I know I started this thread some time ago, however now, finally looking to pick up my clutch kit.

What do you guys suggest interms of the clutch kit? Which company? Which kit?

Also, sometime in future hoping to turbo.. should I get some sort of a heavier duty clutch? How would it ride in the mean time until turbo-ed? Would it be "user friendly"?

Thanks guys,
Paul
Sachs is the oem supplier & that's the best one for the job. Before you add boost the pistons & cylinders need to be stronger like these:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post3388400

Old 12-02-2011, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by Byprodriver
Sachs is the oem supplier & that's the best one for the job. Before you add boost the pistons & cylinders need to be stronger like these:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post3388400
Is this the Sach's kit we are talking of?

What other things should I be doing while in there? and what other supplements would I need to do the full clutch service.

Essentially I want to bring all the equipment to my mechanic and have him use all my parts and do the work. I don't want him ordering parts and charging me overhead on it.

Thanks for all the help guys.

-Paul

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How much for a clutch job?