996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Clutch (and FlyWheel) advise and cost

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 07:14 PM
porsche510 is on a distinguished road
Clutch (and FlyWheel) advise and cost

I hope I am wrong but I strongly suspect the time has come to change the transmission. 54K miles on my 2002 C4.

Everything was fine until last night when I noticed that while driving in any gear the transmission will engage up to about 3000 revs and then it revs up but the car does not accelerate. It feels like pressing the gas pedal "disengages" the engine from the car. Shifting gears is fine and smooth as before. Nothing like this happened before, but over the past week or two I started noticing that my clutch pedal seems lighter than before. I have also had the clutch pedal squeak when pressed fast (but does not when I press on it slowly) for awhile. It is also noteworthy that it has been very cold in Chicago lately though my car is always garaged except for when it is being driven or parked outdoors occasionally.

If this is indeed the clutch that needs to be replaced, what is the good price in Chicago area that includes parts + labor? I will also want to replace RMS/IIS upgraded seals while the transmission is out, what is additional cost for that? I don't mind paying the indie for the parts, but if the flywheel needs to be replace I will insist I buy my own on ebay.

I see flywheel prices vary from high 300s to low 500s. Which brings me to this question: should I get a new flywheel even if it is determined that it does not need to be replaced, and second is there a particular after market brand that I should get or must I get the OME?

Thanks in advance, I appreciate your help and responses.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:47 PM
adr3naline fix is on a distinguished road
Classic clutch slipping. At 54k miles on the OEM clutch/flywheel with no major power upgrades you will likely NOT have to replace the flywheel. At most - turn it. (About $75 at any good shop). Leave the judgement up to the mechanic but let him/her know that you may want it turned.

Labor should run you about 700 if you go indie (@$75/hr) RMS is $20 and would take another 20min, and IMS would probably take another 45 min.

Good luck

Old 12-19-2010, 07:14 AM
Fozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of light
Search the previous posts in this forum. You'll find a truckload of info on i) price, ii) preferred brands, iii) other things to while the clutch is out.

This is an oft discussed topic.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:16 AM
JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !
let us know what you choose.

good literature review

jb

Old 12-19-2010, 03:57 PM
Ok thanks to everyone.

Adrenalin Fix: I don't this this can be done in Chicago on 4 wheel drive for $700. If you are in MKE area, is there a mechanic there I could get that price? I don't mind a drive up. Thanks.

Old 12-19-2010, 05:32 PM
IAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by porsche510
Ok thanks to everyone.

Adrenalin Fix: I don't this this can be done in Chicago on 4 wheel drive for $700. If you are in MKE area, is there a mechanic there I could get that price? I don't mind a drive up. Thanks.

The C4 has an additonal 3 bolts to remove the front driveshaft. It takes about 30 seconds to have the shaft disconnected and out of the car. From there it is the same procedure as the C2. From there it is about a 2 hour job to R&R the tranny and clutch for someone who knows what they are doing.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:36 PM
Thanks IAP.

Found indy who would do the clutch for $700 + the part. Turns out needs a new flywheel (there is a bump on it or something), damn.. I will supply the part. I cannot even find Sachs website, do they have a website or is it through third party distributors? I checked and didn't see any flywheels on ebay either.

Anyone knows where to pick up a used flywheel, maybe a shop that specializes in lightweight conversions?

Old 12-23-2010, 02:01 PM
rodgerdodger is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by porsche510
Thanks IAP.

Found indy who would do the clutch for $700 + the part. Turns out needs a new flywheel (there is a bump on it or something), damn.. I will supply the part. I cannot even find Sachs website, do they have a website or is it through third party distributors? I checked and didn't see any flywheels on ebay either.

Anyone knows where to pick up a used flywheel, maybe a shop that specializes in lightweight conversions?
I would think long and hard about going to the lightweight flywheel. I put one in my car and there is a lot of gear noise at certain rpms now. I took it to my indy and he said it is half as loud as some of the ones he's done. If I had to do it over again I would go with OEM.

Old 12-23-2010, 02:39 PM
Sosoomi1 is a jewel in the roughSosoomi1 is a jewel in the roughSosoomi1 is a jewel in the rough
My Indie ordered it for me.... they wanted $860 and I whined like a sick turbo and got it for $800.... I see them on all the online parts suppliers...

Old 12-23-2010, 08:05 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Don't go with the LW flywheel. Stick with stock. You'll thank me. I had a 2001 C4 for reference highly modded.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:36 PM
gu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond repute
stay stock for clutch and flywheel...
Try my indy GOLZ MOTORS.Great guys and will never disappointed you.They know what they doing!!!

Old 12-23-2010, 09:57 PM
Sosoomi1 is a jewel in the roughSosoomi1 is a jewel in the roughSosoomi1 is a jewel in the rough
Old 12-24-2010, 09:55 AM
Wasn't going to do LW flywheel, I thought I could buy a slightly used one from a shop that does conversions, but picked up a new OEM on ebay. Thanks everyone.

Old 12-26-2010, 03:45 PM
JayFunk is a jewel in the roughJayFunk is a jewel in the roughJayFunk is a jewel in the rough

where did you get the work done @? I need to get mine done too so im looking for options just in case my buddy cant do it for me next month. thanks!

jay

Old 12-26-2010, 06:04 PM
Jay I just PMed you.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Clutch (and FlyWheel) advise and cost