996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Painted Brake calipers (Duplicolor)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 09:38 AM
bullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud of
Painted Brake calipers (Duplicolor)

Wanted to post some pics of my brake calipers after I painted them and add some thoughts for those considering this project.

I used the brush on Duplicolor caliper paint and am very pleased with the results (not perfect but neither is my car). I read numerous other threads about painted calipers and considered the choices of spray on caliper paint, G2 two part paint and the Duplicolor brush on. Color is nice, finish is smooth and very easy to apply.

The brush on was very easy to apply (I did not remove the calipers) and the only part that I masked is the bleeder valve. Added stickers came from eBay-$10 shipped.

If you are a perfectionist then you will likely feel better using the two part G2 paint and removing the caliper. However, for those that want to save a few bucks and are impulsive (like me) and need the paint that day then all local stores have the Duplicolor. I expect this stuff to last though as i have some on my fingernail and it is hard as a rock.

You can a flaw on the "P" in the last picture when I applied the sticker too early. Note, i did not wait more than an hour to apply the sticker and will report back if they come off. (I couldn't wait the day or so that's recommended to apply the sticker.)

Tips:
-buy extra brake cleaner
-buy a better brush for caliper paint (not foam though)
-spray paint lug bolts while off the car

Old 12-25-2010, 02:56 PM
Brando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud of
Thumbs up

That looks like it came out great!

Nice job.

Old 12-25-2010, 04:49 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
HxCforlife has a spectacular aura aboutHxCforlife has a spectacular aura about
Looks really good man great job!

Old 12-25-2010, 06:11 PM
cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !
looks legit

Old 12-25-2010, 11:04 PM
GriffC4S will become famous soon enough
Where did you get the Porsche stickers? Great work!

Old 12-26-2010, 06:36 AM
Brando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud of
Cool

Originally Posted by GriffC4S
Where did you get the Porsche stickers? Great work!
He said....."Added stickers came from eBay-$10 shipped".

I may try this on my daily driver.....

Old 12-26-2010, 08:45 AM
bullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Brando
He said....."Added stickers came from eBay-$10 shipped".

I may try this on my daily driver.....

This is a definite daily driver mod and it takes maybe 45 minutes per wheel in warm weather.

Old 12-26-2010, 03:28 PM
JayFunk is a jewel in the roughJayFunk is a jewel in the roughJayFunk is a jewel in the rough
looks great!

Old 12-26-2010, 07:19 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Damn,you did a great job at masking. Did you take out your brake pads or mask that area off too?

Old 12-27-2010, 05:03 AM
I took off the spring clip and painted it and the brake pad retaining pin black but did not mask anything there-just painted by hand.

The key to this project is too remember how much detail is available when the wheel is installed-not much. So concentrate on the face and top of the caliper and you can achieve 95% of the look with much less effort.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:35 AM
Wheelman is on a distinguished road
Looks good...looks like this will be my next project..thanks for posting!

Old 12-28-2010, 08:52 AM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Nice work. I went the really expensive route on my old C4 and had them powdercoated and I don't think they looked much better. Well done.

Old 12-28-2010, 04:28 PM
M3Armand is on a distinguished road
Great job! If you do a driving school, let us know how they hold up. I'm thinking the stickers and the paint will burn off, but you never know...

Old 12-28-2010, 11:18 PM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
I've used the Duplicolor stuff on calipers for years - it doesn't burn off and looks good for about 3 years - then you paint again.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:36 AM
911 James is on a distinguished road
Looks great!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Painted Brake calipers (Duplicolor)