996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Pulling new speaker wires in a '99 996

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 05:23 PM
tcleaver is on a distinguished road
Pulling new speaker wires in a '99 996

I want to replace all the speaker wire in my 996 before installing new speakers and an amp The previous owner did some real patch work on the audio system and the more I dig into car the more I realize I need to start from scratch.

The car has 6 speakers (some OEM and some Pioneer) all with wires, so can I remove the speakers, attach the new wire to the existing wire, and then pull the old wire out thereby pulling the new wire through? I run a computer company, and this is how we would replace computer cable. I also need to add a new wire for the rear sub so I planned on doing this by attaching the new wire to the existing rear right speaker wire so that it gets pulled through at the same time.

Where do the cables terminate? Is it above the accelerator pedal? I am going to add a 5-channel amp so I plan to attach two speakers to the head unit and four speakers plus the sub to the amp. Which two speakers should I connect to the lower powered head unit?

I'm going to put 4" Infinity in the dash, 5" in the door, using the existing Porsche door bass modules, and hopefully 4x6 in the rear (assuming I can make them fit). The car had a Bazooka in it when I got it and it seems to be a recent high powered unit. The power cable is already in place for this so I'd prefer to leave it if possible. I need to run a new speaker wire though because the previous owner spliced cables from both rear speakers and then spliced them together and connected them to the Bazooka. Somehow I don't think that's the way it's supposed to be done!!!

Appreciate any feedback and advice and also suggestions on which speaker wire to use.

Thanks and have a safe New Years eve.

Old 12-31-2010, 07:49 PM
asialors996 has a spectacular aura aboutasialors996 has a spectacular aura aboutasialors996 has a spectacular aura about
PM me i can walk you through it ove the phone

Old 01-01-2011, 12:35 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
I don't know if you can pull through the existing wires, but I asked a similar question about the route to the rear in this post: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-interior.html

In the end, I came up with a workable solution - pics are posted in the above link. I installed a 5 channel amp in the boot where the old CD changer was mounted and the only wires I had to route were to my new sub box and speakers (3 pairs of wires). I put them under the console and under the carpet to the back. It was pretty easy and totally hidden.

Old 01-01-2011, 12:51 AM
asialors996 has a spectacular aura aboutasialors996 has a spectacular aura aboutasialors996 has a spectacular aura about
You can run new wires to all 6 speaker locations and add rear subs...we use 12ga for all locations. Pm me if you want more info, easer to explain over the phone

Old 01-01-2011, 10:10 AM
Doug996InKC will become famous soon enoughDoug996InKC will become famous soon enough
Here are some photos that may help.

http://dougturner.com/porsche/sound_...2009/index.htm

Old 01-29-2011, 03:35 PM
driverj6321 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Doug996InKC
Here are some photos that may help.

http://dougturner.com/porsche/sound_...2009/index.htm
Thanks for the thorough documentation! Very helpful!

Old 01-29-2011, 03:59 PM
fourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by tcleaver
I
I'm going to put 4" Infinity in the dash, 5" in the door, using the existing Porsche door bass modules, and hopefully 4x6 in the rear (assuming I can make them fit). The car had a Bazooka in it when I got it and it seems to be a recent high powered unit. The power cable is already in place for this so I'd prefer to leave it if possible. I need to run a new speaker wire though because the previous owner spliced cables from both rear speakers and then spliced them together and connected them to the Bazooka. Somehow I don't think that's the way it's supposed to be done!!!

Appreciate any feedback and advice and also suggestions on which speaker wire to use.

Thanks and have a safe New Years eve.
Are you planning on installing the INFINITY KAPPA 42.9I? I am looking at these. They have a sensitivity of 93db. They are not component speakers though.

Old 01-29-2011, 04:50 PM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
I used the 42.9i for the front and read and the 52.9i for the doors. I am happy with the result.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:46 PM
fourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond repute
Old thread I know but I am wondering if anyone has done the old twist-the-tweeter trick with the Infinity Kappas to adjust the output. I didn't mess with it before I closed it all up and I am thinking about disassembling to see if and what difference it makes to the sound.