996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Valve Spring / No compression in #4

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 03:31 PM
San Diego Porschophile
drpaulmarsh is on a distinguished road
Valve Spring / No compression in #4

1999 C2 Tip tronic with 73k miles. Purchased used in May of last year. PPI yields no real problems except MAF and compression test is good. Replaced MAF soon there after

I Brought in 1.5 weeks ago for a CEL on. Was told that a solenoid (helps control cam exhaust) on the back right was leaking oil. We put it up on the hoist, looked and saw the mild leak. Porsche fixed the solenoid. A few days later I noticed a low idle one time at a stop light. I thought nothing of it as the computer corrected it with in no time. I ran fine for a few days.

Then this sunday night about 1 mile from my house the enginge starts sputtering and dies. The CEL is now flashing. I restart it and the CEL is flashing for a few seconds, then steady on. I drive it half a mile towards home and when I come to a stop light it dies. I am scared to death so I go one more stop light and it dies again. Same thing. I call AAA and have it towed (flat bed). Porsche has had it now for 2-3 days. The first day they checked the oil for metal... It looks clean. They hook it up to the computer and describe to me that the catylytic converters are sending the computer errors. They checked the intermediate shaft and it looks good. Perplexed the tech said form the the outside everything looks great. No oil leaks, no broken hoses, belts are fine. So I ask the tech and he said something to the effect that the car is runing "rich" and to let him look at it for a few more days.

Today they call and the tell me there might be a valve spring bent/broken and that there is no compression in #4. They then proceed to tell me that it sounds like it is going to be in the 3-4 thousands to just diagnosis this! They are talking about pulling the motor and looking at he cylinders, head etc....

HELP!!!!!

Paul

Old 03-17-2005, 05:31 PM
HAMMER502 is on a distinguished road
VALVE SPRING

IF YOU HAD A BAD SPRING IT WOULD BE SETTING A CODE FOR MISFIRE.I KNOW THIS FROM EXPERIENCE WITH A BOXSTER.BROKEN SPRING AND A MISFIRE.MY HONEST ADVICE WOULD BE FIND AN INDEPENDENT SHOP THAT YOU TRUST AND TAKE IT THERE.

Old 03-17-2005, 07:14 PM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
Sounds like they screwed up the valve timing. Have then recheck the valve timing at their expense.

Old 03-17-2005, 07:18 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
No compression=cylinder seal/ring problem,bent valve, bad.

Old 03-18-2005, 10:00 AM
San Diego Porschophile
Ok here is the update:

Cylinder leakage & compression tests were done... & #4 is dead. The tech pulled half of it apart and thinks it is the valve, but waited for my approval before pulling the engine. He is hoping that it is just a simple replacement the spring and praying that there was no damage done to the rest of it...

He still sayes that he has to take the engine out because ther is no room to remove the parts necessary due to the fact my car is a tiptronic and takes up more space in the engine compartment. If he pulls the engine out though he will go through all of them (4,5,6 on the right side for me and check them out too)

Here is the list of fault codes:
75- Misfire damage to cat
66- Cylinder 4 misfire with damage to cat
68- Cylinder 6 misfire with damage to cat
53- Cylinder 4 misfire emmisions relevant
115 - Hot films MAF sensor

Estiamte for repair: $3800
Estimate for factory refurbished engine $9200 with 2 year warantee

Next I asked around if the removal and replacement of the solenoid & it's seal could have caused a timing problem and bent/broke the valve/spring and he said no way... In my car 99' C2 Tiptronic, it is located onthe same side but controls the upper portion and not the lower where the #4 valve is located.... They (3 techs) said that they has only seen this before 1 or 2 times and it was on a boxster - 6 speed and never a 996 tiptronic.

Old 03-18-2005, 11:21 AM
San Diego Porschophile
I have spoke witha very knowledgable guy (from 6speedonline.com) who used to be a Porsche Dealer mechanic for 3 years and now has his own performance shop...

His recomendations were to have them pull it all apart and first see if it is a bent valve and if there are any marks on the pistons. (if it is bent, then there are some big decisions I will have to make... I will then have to weigh the costs vs. a re-furbished motor

If not, then replace all the springs #1-6 and thus paying a little more for preventative measures. He said that parts are only $100-200, and to see if Porsche will work with me on some of the labor to bring down the $3000 estimated price as a good will gesture.

Feedback? Thoughts? anyone???

Old 03-23-2005, 06:31 PM
San Diego Porschophile
Ok they pulled half of it apart and I could see the springs exposed. The bottom left one of # 4 was broken. Upon further investigation it appeared that the valve stem with it's washer looking retainer for the spring was either bent or loose, as it was angled ever so slightly downwards. When the tech put his hand in there and manipulated the stem in-n-out manually we could see that the valve wasn't seating / closing correctly upon shining a flash light up and into the motor.

His recomendations:
1. Replace all the springs and washer retainer looking pieces on right side for #'s 4-6.
2. Do a "valve job" and that's it...

Any thoughts? or suggestions?

Old 03-23-2005, 06:43 PM
San Diego Porschophile
Update:

Ok they pulled half of it apart and I could see the springs exposed. The bottom left one of # 4 was broken. Upon further investigation it appeared that the valve stem with it's washer looking retainer for the spring was either bent or loose, as it was angled ever so slightly downwards. When the tech put his hand in there and manipulated the stem in-n-out manually we could see that the valve wasn't seating / closing correctly upon shining a flash light up and into the motor.

His recomendations:
1. Replace all the springs and washer retainer looking pieces on right side for #'s 4-6.
2. Do a "valve job" and that's it...

Any thoughts? or suggestions?

Old 03-23-2005, 07:00 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
A valve job is a relatively simple procedure, even on porsche. You just replace what's broken and the rest is all std machine shop stuff. A lot cheaper than a new engine.

Old 03-26-2005, 10:32 AM
San Diego Porschophile
Well I spoke with Shaun at Pioneer and supposedly Moe my Tech there was able to save the day! Turns out it was only a valve spring, and he fixed it with out having to take the entire motor out or replace any valves/stems. They did a compression test & a leak down test and it is looking good! They just have to put the finishing touches and get it put back together tomorrow. It will be ready late tomorow night or first thing Monday. . .

Paul

Old 03-26-2005, 11:52 AM
CoreyNJ is on a distinguished road
So what was the final cost?

Old 03-26-2005, 12:22 PM
San Diego Porschophile
I'll let you know tonight or monday...

Old 03-26-2005, 03:24 PM
paneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to behold
Sounds like you got real lucky!! Happy for you. Let us know how it all works out.

Old 03-27-2005, 04:42 PM
San Diego Porschophile
Ok, the guys at Pioneer took real good care of me... ;-)

It is running great!

I would not hesitate to reccomend Shaun and Moe if you need anything!