996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Added GPS in Lower Cubbys- 7" Almost looks Stock! *PICS*

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 09:58 AM
delirium is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice! where are you getting power from?

Old 07-19-2011, 11:20 AM
Sosoomi1 is a jewel in the roughSosoomi1 is a jewel in the roughSosoomi1 is a jewel in the rough
Pioneer Install

I had a Car Stereo Shop install this.... nice unit and fits well......

Attached Images  
Old 07-19-2011, 08:45 PM
cmer is on a distinguished road
You convinced me! I just grabbed a 7" Magellan GPS for $199 at Costco.

Would you mind taking pictures of behind the GPS? I'd like to see what your installed did to the car there. I'm trying to replicate your install.

Thanks for this awesome project!

Old 07-20-2011, 01:09 AM
Tarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Porsche99
That is the best install I've seen to date!

Congrats!
Thanks man, it will be 100% once i can get small P O R S C H E script stickers made to cover over the Magellan stickers wish i could also get the Porsche LOGO to be on startup screen when the GPS is loading...but that would be software doubt it could happen

Originally Posted by Sosoomi1
I had a Car Stereo Shop install this.... nice unit and fits well......
Looks nice, but i wanted to avoid replacing the BOSE factory unit + didn't like the amount of space the plastic bezel that goes around the double dins consumes...

Originally Posted by delirium
Nice! where are you getting power from?
Its connected to an auxillary he made thats behind the dash, he gets its power from the stock radio, so the GPS turns on and off with the car

Originally Posted by cmer
You convinced me! I just grabbed a 7" Magellan GPS for $199 at Costco.

Would you mind taking pictures of behind the GPS? I'd like to see what your installed did to the car there. I'm trying to replicate your install.

Thanks for this awesome project!
Excellent, congrats, i'll take pics, i'm able to just pull out the unit... ps: behind it is just an empty space, just like when you remove the 2 cubbys, only thing thats done behind there is he made an auxillary unit so we plug the GPS into it, it gets power from radio, so unit turns on & off with radio

Last edited by Tarek307; 07-20-2011 at 01:15 AM.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:39 AM
Excellent, congrats, i'll take pics, i'm able to just pull out the unit... ps: behind it is just an empty space, just like when you remove the 2 cubbys, only thing thats done behind there is he made an auxillary unit so we plug the GPS into it, it gets power from radio, so unit turns on & off with radio
Did he leave the "cubby separator" (there's like an horizontal bar between the cubbies). I think I'll add a 12v outlet and connect it to the phone plug, which seems like the best way to do it.

I wish I could somehow connect the GPS to the radio. Would be great if the volume of the radio lowered when the GPS talks I have an aftermarket radio that has a wire to do that. I'm just not qualified enough to open the GPS and make it work...

Old 07-20-2011, 07:19 PM
Tarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond repute
Did he leave the "cubby separator" (there's like an horizontal bar between the cubbies). I think I'll add a 12v outlet and connect it to the phone plug, which seems like the best way to do it.

I wish I could somehow connect the GPS to the radio. Would be great if the volume of the radio lowered when the GPS talks I have an aftermarket radio that has a wire to do that. I'm just not qualified enough to open the GPS and make it work...
There is no cubby seperator, once you remove both cubbies its just an empty space, the gps wedges in between that space,

Old 07-22-2011, 09:39 AM
Originally Posted by Tarek307
There is no cubby seperator, once you remove both cubbies its just an empty space, the gps wedges in between that space,
Here's my "separator". Doesn't yours look like this?

Thanks!

Attached Images  
Old 07-22-2011, 09:54 PM
Here's my "separator". Doesn't yours look like this?

Thanks!
i was wrong YES THERE IS A SEPERATOR, YOU DONT NEED TO WORRY ABOUT IT! THE GPS FITS IN WITH IT!!!

Last edited by Tarek307; 07-24-2011 at 12:50 AM.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:18 AM
pcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the rough
i agree, Bose is good enough for me, the car is small & it sounds pretty clear- this GPS really looks good in the car & totally updated the look, i just used it on a trip to california, love it

The same discussion in Cayenne forum as well, I love my Bose system, not sure what others are used to on their ears but how much can it get better than Bose car stereo system?

By the way, it looks awesome, great job sir!

Old 07-24-2011, 08:21 AM
Springgeyser is on a distinguished road
nice mod

Old 07-24-2011, 12:57 PM
C4S_HAPPY is on a distinguished road
Nicely done, Sir! That is definitely a high-quality install, and certainly the installer as well.

And I love my Bose system as well. I realize it may not win any Audio Competitions but I really only need it when my kids are fighting, otherwise I enjoy the Porsche Engineers Sound System. ;-)

Last edited by C4S_HAPPY; 07-24-2011 at 01:00 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:41 AM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
i was wrong YES THERE IS A SEPERATOR, YOU DONT NEED TO WORRY ABOUT IT! THE GPS FITS IN WITH IT!!!
how thick is your gps unit, it looks like it would have to be 1/4'' thick if it is mounting in front of the seperator and still flush with the trim pieces ?

Old 07-25-2011, 02:48 PM
Originally Posted by buzzm
how thick is your gps unit, it looks like it would have to be 1/4'' thick if it is mounting in front of the seperator and still flush with the trim pieces ?
measurements from their website for this unit, its the 9055 .Dimensions (English)7.5" x 4.5" x .6"Dimensions (Metric)190mm x 115mm x 16mm

Old 07-25-2011, 04:45 PM
ultraman206 is on a distinguished road
Very nice! Looks like I'll be doing this as well.

A couple questions, how is screen visibility installed at that location? Especially in daylight or direct sunlight? I will be installing this in a cab so it might be an issue for me.

Are you able to navigate/use it pretty easily while driving? I am concern having to look down and taking my eyes completely off the road while using it?

Old 07-26-2011, 01:38 PM
Jim_c is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ultraman206
Very nice! Looks like I'll be doing this as well.

A couple questions, how is screen visibility installed at that location? Especially in daylight or direct sunlight? I will be installing this in a cab so it might be an issue for me.

Are you able to navigate/use it pretty easily while driving? I am concern having to look down and taking my eyes completely off the road while using it?
I did this install last week after seeing this thread.
I had the same concerns about visibility. Operation and visibility are very good.
I like the location. I just velcroed in place.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Added GPS in Lower Cubbys- 7" Almost looks Stock! *PICS*