996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

HID/Xenon light conversion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 09:02 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Alabamatoy
I call BS.

The DDMTuning kits simply replace the BULB with a new bulb (albeit HID versus incadecent). If there are wiring or glare problems, then its an inherent design problem. Error codes? Yes, they can throw error codes, because the HIDs draw substantially LESS current than the incandecents, causing the computer to think there is a burnt out bulb. But they arent going to cause wiring problems unless the installer did it wrong.

I think you are blaming something you dont understand for problems that you dont want to take the time to diagnose.
Well, since this is an old thread...

The problem isn't so much with the power output, the power draw, etc. The issue with converting a halogen reflector to an HID bulb is the light pattern that is emitted by the bulb. It's very different from a halogen to an HID bulb. This frequently causes glare and "hot spots" that can creat major issues for oncoming traffic or during inclement weather like fog. Additionally, converting a halogen light by simply changing the bulb doesn't include the auto-level feature found on OEM lights to prevent glare from bothering oncoming traffic. There's more to it than just a simple blub/ballast change.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:04 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Neb
Sorry to bring up an old thread. I did just get a HID conversion kit. it is an H7 bulb. My headlight housing already has a lens, and not a projector. However, when you put the bulb in, how do you secure it? Originally the bulb went into the socket and it screwed into the headlight housing. But with these HID conversion bulb, it has 2 wires coming out of it going to the ballast. It would not fit into the socket.

any ideas?? how do people install these kits on a 996?
Neb, I know lots of people have done this conversion. There should be a way to do it. Do the wires interfere with the mounting socket, or do they simply hang out the back?

Old 04-05-2012, 07:29 AM
Neb
Neb will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Dennis C
Neb, I know lots of people have done this conversion. There should be a way to do it. Do the wires interfere with the mounting socket, or do they simply hang out the back?
Dennis,
My problem is how to secure the HID bulb? the HID bulb has 2 wires solder to the end, going to the balast. The exisiting halogen bulb plugs into a socket then gets screwed onto the housing. Everything else is plug and play, but I am just trying to figure out how I can hold that new bulb onto the headlight housing.

Do you know what i mean?

Old 04-05-2012, 08:13 AM
Originally Posted by Neb
Dennis,
My problem is how to secure the HID bulb? the HID bulb has 2 wires solder to the end, going to the balast. The exisiting halogen bulb plugs into a socket then gets screwed onto the housing. Everything else is plug and play, but I am just trying to figure out how I can hold that new bulb onto the headlight housing.

Do you know what i mean?
I do know what you mean. I'm surprised that the new HID bulb didn't come with a base that would screw into your OEM assembly... it almost sounds like something is missing...

Old 04-05-2012, 09:54 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Do you have pics of your new HID bulbs? Almost seems like you didn't get the rebased versions.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:23 PM
Neb
Photo 1 is the stock bulb in OEM socket.

In picture 2 is the picture of the HID bulb VS Halogen bulb in the socket.

Pict 3 is when the HID bulb is inserted into the assembly, but I have no way to secure it, since the socket the bulb was attached to would not fit here.

Pict 4 Is the socket that actually holds the bulb there.

I am not sure if I can somehow modify this socket to use as a holder. Alot of cars have a spring loaded clip to hold the bulb to the assembly, but looks like the 996 does not and have a specific socket the bulb is inserted into and then screwed onto the assembly.

any ideas? HID kits have been installed on 996s... how is everyone doing it?

Attached Images     
Old 04-05-2012, 09:34 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Ah it seems to be similar situation when I retrofitted HIDs on my mom's car. I had to reuse the factory socket holder and modify it by drilling the back of them.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:25 PM
Neb
Ok, I decided to retrofit the kit today. I used some foam pad I had, cut out a U shape piece, about 7 of them per bulb. Then used a thing wire to wrap around each tabs on the side to hold the bulb into the socket. It's solid, no movement at all. I do not want to destroy the socket and this is completely reversible.

I then had to drilled a small hole in the back panel to feed all the wires through, with ballast mounted on the frame of the car with double sided tape. The ballast and all the wires would not go fit inside the assembly.

Attached Images      
Old 04-06-2012, 10:10 PM
Glad you got it to work. How much of a difference do you notice with the HIDs? I would imagine it's pretty significant.

Old 04-07-2012, 12:39 PM
Neb
Originally Posted by Dennis C
Glad you got it to work. How much of a difference do you notice with the HIDs? I would imagine it's pretty significant.
It is huge difference, my headlight before was so dim, probably needed new bulbs.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:54 AM
boomer is on a distinguished road
LED Headlights

What do you think of these? My lights are pretty dim and I was thinking of upgrading to these? Are these an upgrade or are they going to look bad?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290694726861...84.m1438.l2649

Old 04-14-2012, 12:22 PM
Neb
I am not too crazy about the led, especially the ones around the low beam. But to each their own. There was some discussion about these headlights before, do a search.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:42 PM
slowlude22 will become famous soon enough
That's looks like a pain. MKIs have the spring clip that holds the xenon or halogen bulbs.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:01 AM
white99c2 is a glorious beacon of lightwhite99c2 is a glorious beacon of lightwhite99c2 is a glorious beacon of lightwhite99c2 is a glorious beacon of lightwhite99c2 is a glorious beacon of light
I just did the conversion and the bulbs are an exact fit for the H7 base. They fit in the opening with the tab. It sounds like you are not using the correct HID bulb. The whole job took 30 minutes.

Last edited by white99c2; 04-16-2012 at 11:09 AM.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:44 PM
Neb
Originally Posted by white99c2
I just did the conversion and the bulbs are an exact fit for the H7 base. They fit in the opening with the tab. It sounds like you are not using the correct HID bulb. The whole job took 30 minutes.
MM.. do you have a pict of where you got the kit? what does yoru bulb look like? Mine is shaped like an H7 bulb, but I have a socket for the bulb to go into, is your assembly spring loaded?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HID/Xenon light conversion