996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

1999 C4 Cabrio Won't Start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 11:22 AM
mcnatprice is on a distinguished road
1999 C4 Cabrio Won't Start

My wife was driving her C4 home from a 100 mile trip and it died about a mile from home (I know...thank goodness) She restarted it and it ran and drove for a few seconds, then died again. It started one more time only for an even shorter period and hasn't started since. I had it towed home thinking I would be able to figure it out. I got a Durametric tool and pulled the codes:

P1130 - Porsche Code 361 O2 sensing adaptation, idle range bank 2
P1128 - Porsche Code 360 O2 sensing adaptation, idle range bank 1
P0455 - Porsche Code 94 - Tank vent system (this is an ongoing issue, replaced cap twice)
P1124 - Porsche Code 167 - Fuel Pump Relay, below limit value

Because the code 167 was fuel related, I thought this was the culprit and replaced the Relay. No love. I still get the code after the replacement. It seems as though I can hear the fuel pump working when I turn the key, could it be that the fuel pump itself is not working like it should? The car turns over fine, but will not fire. Short of towing it, does anyone know what the most likely culprit could be based on the way it stopped working and the codes?

Old 11-02-2011, 06:48 PM
Omarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant future
crank case sensor sounds like the problem ...see if the car will stay running when its cold , then when it get to operating temp it shuts down , happened to me i thought i was fuel related ,i changed the relay , fuel filter , and was about to replace the pump . then tried the $150 sensor ....good luck

Old 11-03-2011, 08:31 PM
The problem is that I can't get it to start at all. Turns over fine but won't fire.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:46 PM
Omarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant future
Well the 02 sensors are only goin off cuz of the car not running , or the fuel is burning in them ,

I would start with with the fuel pump relay , you can just swap it with another relay that you have in the car , just to test it ! They are right about the fuse box next to your dead pedal

Old 11-06-2011, 02:54 PM
I did replace the relay...no love...I figured my next step would be to replace the fuel pump, but I don't want to do that unless I can rule out any other issues. Could a partially clogged fuel filter be causing this? (it just came to me that she had just filled up not long before this happened)

Old 11-06-2011, 03:08 PM
Is there a way to test the fuel pressure regulator to see if perhaps that is the problem?

Old 11-06-2011, 07:03 PM
Dharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud of
If the pulse sender for the flywheel is bad then the fuel pump won't run after a few seconds. This is a fairly common problem and a pretty easy DIY.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:48 AM
If it were the flywheel reference sender, wouldn't it show as an error code with the Durametric?

Old 11-08-2011, 02:33 PM
I found out how the check the pressure at the access point on the right (passenger) side of the engine under the A/C lines and got 5 lbs pressure when I turned on the fuel pump with the Durametric software. However, I can't seem to find anywhere that tells me what the pressure is supposed to be. 5 lbs. is lower than I expected, but have no clue if it is correct or not. Does anyone know where to find this info?

Old 11-08-2011, 06:36 PM
Dharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud of
Turning on the pump with the Durametric will show that the pump is working, and the pump is not a high pressure pump (like in the 997.2). But this still will not show you if the pulse sender is working or not. If the DME does not get a signal from the pulse sender then it turns off the fuel pump and you get no fuel flow. The failure of the pulse sender on my car happened several years ago and I forget whether it showed up on the Durametric. Maybe the guys at Durametric can tell you if the signal from the sender can be diagnosed.

But if the fuel pump works I am willing to bet you a good beer that it is the pulse sender. Of course you will have to come to the Chicago area to collect on the bet. With my car it was running fine and then all of a sudden it would not run. It was the pulse sender.