996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

HP question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 08:47 PM
Jcusa is a splendid one to beholdJcusa is a splendid one to beholdJcusa is a splendid one to beholdJcusa is a splendid one to beholdJcusa is a splendid one to beholdJcusa is a splendid one to beholdJcusa is a splendid one to behold
HP question

Ok, I have a 996 C4 and I want to increase HP. Fairly simple right.... Add a cold air intake, replace the headers and exhaust and flash the vehicle, which is what I planned to do; however, after doing a lot of research and speaking with some "experts" doing those things may or may not add HP. I have read so many conflicting reports that I'm not sure what to believe. Most credible companies dyno test it, which should prove that it does add HP correct?

For those who have done performance upgrades, was there any real difference and did you have it tested? I'm not too concerned with sound at this point, which I know the cold air intake and exhaust will give you.

I guess my question is, if you had a couple grand to spend, what would be the most bang for your buck and what would you do?

Old 03-20-2012, 10:03 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Great question, and I know it has been discussed extensively on various forums. I've thought about the same thing.

For the normally aspirated engines, there aren't really too many options short of a turbocharger or supercharger. Obviously that gets you into a much more expensive upgrade.

I have my 996 maintained by an independent mechanic who also does high performance tuning for Porsche and Audi. I have discussed this with him several times. We've discussed exhaust upgrades, intakes, flashes, etc. In general, his opinion from working on many, many 996 cars is that the best bang for your buck if you want to spend a few thousand dollars is a suspension upgrade. Manufacturers of aftermarket exhausts and intakes will all have dyno numbers that show an increase. However, when you look at the real world gains that you get from these products, it may not be worth the money. I'm sure you've read that some headers improve overall horsepower, but they cause a loss of torque at lower RPMs. I've seen that too.

I'm in the same boat as you... and I've decided to save the money and get a turbo when I buy my next 911.

Good luck with your search!

Old 03-20-2012, 11:54 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Jcusa
I guess my question is, if you had a couple grand to spend, what would be the most bang for your buck and what would you do?
Weekly threads on this that you can research here. Many will advise you to take some driver's ed (DE) programs to get more out of an already fast car.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:04 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
suspension is your best bet as said by others. don't bother with exhaust and intake unless you are looking for sound improvement

Old 03-21-2012, 05:40 AM
Jcusa is a splendid one to beholdJcusa is a splendid one to beholdJcusa is a splendid one to beholdJcusa is a splendid one to beholdJcusa is a splendid one to beholdJcusa is a splendid one to beholdJcusa is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for the replies. Pretty much what I was thinking.

Dennis, I totally agree and have been thinking the same thing, sell this and get a Turbo. I was actually looking for a turbo when I came across this deal that I couldn't pass up.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:50 AM
Former Vendor
Numeric Racing has a reputation beyond reputeNumeric Racing has a reputation beyond reputeNumeric Racing has a reputation beyond reputeNumeric Racing has a reputation beyond reputeNumeric Racing has a reputation beyond reputeNumeric Racing has a reputation beyond reputeNumeric Racing has a reputation beyond reputeNumeric Racing has a reputation beyond reputeNumeric Racing has a reputation beyond reputeNumeric Racing has a reputation beyond reputeNumeric Racing has a reputation beyond repute
Install a TPC turbocarger kit. You'll get over 100 HP but its more than a few grand but well worth it. Talk to Tom at TPC Racing.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:01 AM
Altaran will become famous soon enough
Before spending thousands on installing a turbo on a Carrera block car, I'd rather sell it and get a real Turbo. GT1 Block engines are just much better all around.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:05 PM
feroz928 is on a distinguished road
I too am always looking for more speed I don't track my car regularly; however, I go with friends once or twice a year to Willow Springs on open track day. If I could afford the turbo I would switch, but it is not just the initial output of monies I don't have, but more important is the ongoing maintenance for a forced induction vehicle. I have the usual upgrades, plenum, FisterDs, EVO CAI, and aftermarket coilover system. IMO, these upgrades have improved the speed and performance of my car to the point that I am happy Sure wish I could afford a turbo though

Old 03-29-2012, 01:29 AM
jetskied is on a distinguished road
Save your money. The best is probably an ecu which may give 10 HP. The rest really don't work. Suspension and tracking the car will be fun. Exhaust is only good for sound.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:09 AM
mikegr is on a distinguished road
I have opened a similar thread. It is best to get an improved suspension and lighten the car as much as you can (buckets, rear seats removal etc...) plus an exhaust for good sound. Then you can have a more enjoyable car to drive. In your case i would thinking of 2wd conversion if cost is affordable. And i hope you got a manual...

Old 03-29-2012, 09:42 AM
neotorque will become famous soon enoughneotorque will become famous soon enough
They're never fast enough. When you find yourself unable to add enough speed to your Porsche 911 (!!!!), you should realize that even a Bugatti Veyron is going to leave you wanting more once you're used to it.

I'm not saying I don't find myself thinking the same thing, of course, it's just once you start down that road, it gets really tough to stop.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by neotorque
They're never fast enough. When you find yourself unable to add enough speed to your Porsche 911 (!!!!), you should realize that even a Bugatti Veyron is going to leave you wanting more once you're used to it.

I'm not saying I don't find myself thinking the same thing, of course, it's just once you start down that road, it gets really tough to stop.
I totally agree, it is a slippery slope

Last edited by feroz928; 03-29-2012 at 10:50 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-29-2012, 02:27 PM
jetskied is on a distinguished road
A 2wd conversion would not be worth it. Stick to mostly suspension stuff and things to reduce weight like seats wheels and mufflers. If the car is not fast enough consider trading up to a TT or GT3.

Old 03-29-2012, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by mikegr
I have opened a similar thread. It is best to get an improved suspension and lighten the car as much as you can (buckets, rear seats removal etc...) plus an exhaust for good sound. Then you can have a more enjoyable car to drive. In your case i would thinking of 2wd conversion if cost is affordable. And i hope you got a manual...
OK, this may be a dumb question, but why would anyone with a C4 want a 2 wheel conversion

Old 03-30-2012, 06:38 AM
JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !
if you want to go faster, go to Drivers' Education events. And, hire a professional driver to instruct you.
What I think is fast is SLOW. When I got an instructor in my car, he was going 20 mph faster than me, and he was pacing himself. I was scared!

speed is all in your head. Get your head trained, then you can get a faster car.

He told me that I was driving the C4S at 60% of what it could do. I would drive a TT at 40% of what it could do.

JB

p.s. avatar is me at watkins glen

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HP question