996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Oil filler tubing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 09:03 PM
theoilman is on a distinguished road
Oil filler tubing

Hey all...

Been throwing a P1124 after replacing the AOS bellows (no leak confirmed) and an oil change. So I started with what I took apart. To make sure it wasn't the AOS I pulled the airbox to check for oil in the intake etc. Upon removal I un-clipped the oil filler tube from the airbox and the cap portion came right off the plastic tubing that connects to the oil filler pipe. Nothing broke or cracked (at least that's what I think) but the problem I'm having is connecting the two back together. The cap portion has a big lip on it and seems impossible for it to fit back into the ribbed tubing without breaking it. Or do I have it wrong how the two connect?

Good thing is, it was very loose and was leaking thus most likely causing the P1124 code.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:27 PM
Never mind... I'm screwed. Looking at it a bit further, it cracked and broke right where the solid plastic portion meets the ribbed tubing. Is the ribbed tubing portion replaceable? Or does the whole assembly have to be replaced?

Old 05-07-2012, 10:31 PM
Omarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant future
Mine just broke last week when I was replacing my belt , I got this special tape that's made for hoses and things under pressure worked great , I think it's a whole peice you would have to buy if that doesn't work for you

Old 05-07-2012, 10:39 PM
geetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant future
If you're going to replace it, it's one piece. You have to replace the whole thing. I believe it was 2 bolts holding it down but you really have to remove the TB, hoses etc to access the bolts. It's a little bit of a PITA to replace. 99 has the old style. The updated one looks a little better/less prone to break.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:03 PM
Thanks for the reply guys... Yeah, I've been doing quite a bit of research on it since my post. Looks like I'll be pulling her apart and replacing the unit.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:12 AM
DaveFL1976 will become famous soon enough
Been there, done that

Spray down the ends of the broken pieces of tubing with MAF sensor cleaner to de-grease them. As a 996 owner, you probably already have some MAF sensor cleaner in your garage. Buy a tube of Superglue (the gel is easiest to use) and 15 minutes later you're good to go!

It drove with that $5 fix for a year with no problem. The super glue fix was still strong when the IMS bearing shattered. Now I have a new oil filler tube (attached to a new engine).

Last edited by DaveFL1976; 05-08-2012 at 07:29 AM.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:02 PM
Dharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud of
So super glue won't work on the IMS bearing, aw shucks

Old 05-08-2012, 06:13 PM
I appreciate the band aid suggestions and I'm sure they work. I'd just rather put in the work and fix the car right.