996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Vr996ct

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 01:44 AM
stephan_porsche will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by lowpue
Really enjoyed this thread...thanks for sharing....Makes me realize I still have a lot more money to spend!!!

Question, what kind of stress does the turbo mod put on the 3.4L engine assuming that is what you have. Knowing that the 3.4 has chunking problems, can this make that worse? Thoughts?
Im not worried. My Engine and Heads were dye checked. My head was cracked due to over heating from running lean before I could properly tune her, but that was my fault and its taken care of now.

The 3.4L has a bad wrap, I never had to problem with my IMS Bearing, I upgraded out of choice and as far as chunking that is caused from cooling issues, when the cylinder isn't properly cooled the metal forms stress cracks and over time fails.

I have the GT3 3rd Radiator Kit and a 160 Degree Thermostat.

If you look at my photos of my block torn down, its very surprising how beefy the factory connecting rods are.

I think with my engineering experience and some different calculations I have worked out, my 3.4L can hold up too 500hp safely.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:58 AM
lowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by stephan_porsche
Im not worried. My Engine and Heads were dye checked. My head was cracked due to over heating from running lean before I could properly tune her, but that was my fault and its taken care of now.

The 3.4L has a bad wrap, I never had to problem with my IMS Bearing, I upgraded out of choice and as far as chunking that is caused from cooling issues, when the cylinder isn't properly cooled the metal forms stress cracks and over time fails.

I have the GT3 3rd Radiator Kit and a 160 Degree Thermostat.

If you look at my photos of my block torn down, its very surprising how beefy the factory connecting rods are.

I think with my engineering experience and some different calculations I have worked out, my 3.4L can hold up too 500hp safely.
Thanks for that...sounds like the next thing I need to do is put in a Gt3 3rd radiator and low temp thermostat since my 996 will be primarily for the track. Also, could you PM me the approximate cost of the turbo conversion. I think this is something I may want to look at sometime in the future when I am ready for more power. How do you like the turbo on the track vs normally aspirated?

Old 07-02-2012, 02:33 AM
Originally Posted by lowpue
Thanks for that...sounds like the next thing I need to do is put in a Gt3 3rd radiator and low temp thermostat since my 996 will be primarily for the track. Also, could you PM me the approximate cost of the turbo conversion. I think this is something I may want to look at sometime in the future when I am ready for more power. How do you like the turbo on the track vs normally aspirated?
http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/v...-p-133183.html

I haven't "tracked" her yet. I work overseas and its more of my fun car when I'm in the USA. I would recommend shipping the car to Vivid Racing in Gilbert, AZ so it can be properly dyno-tuned after the Turbo Installation.

Turbo Kit is @$9000 + Install.

And in my case, I had 106,000 on my engine, didnt want to buy a new Porsche or trade this one in, so I had the engine totally rebuilt, upgraded every possible thing from M030 Suspension, Short Shifter, Flywheel, Clutch, Rebuilt Engine, Upgraded parts, Stud Kits, new heads, repainted car. Even tons more im not even listing. It will be like drive a brand new Porsche and its quicker than a stock turbo or lambo.

Contact ROB at Vivid Racing.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:11 AM
mziegler38 is on a distinguished road
Where does the switch module from the G-Tech Pro SS to your car?

Old 07-02-2012, 05:51 AM
"Switch Module"? The G-Tech is just a windshield mounted unit with a cigarette lighter power source, which I have hard wired into my kicker panel.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:01 PM
mziegler38 is on a distinguished road
I thought it required a car connection to pick up the various functions. So there is only the 12v power source required to hard wire?

Old 07-03-2012, 09:47 AM
Originally Posted by mziegler38
I thought it required a car connection to pick up the various functions. So there is only the 12v power source required to hard wire?
G-Techs are self contained, they use sensors inside the unit to measure. Accurate to +1/-1%.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:20 PM
AEM Water/Methanol Injection Kit being installed now. It doesn't do to much for horsepower, Only a 20-30hp gain but it drops intake temps 50-150 degrees and also provides anti-detonation which a Turbo 3.4L needs because I'm running stock compression with 6 lbs of boost.

Attached Images    

Last edited by stephan_porsche; 07-05-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:26 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by stephan_porsche
My head was cracked due to over heating from running lean before I could properly tune her, but that was my fault and its taken care of now.
I'm a bit confused. I thought the VR turbo kit was an already tuned out of the box system ready to go. Am I missing something here or did you get greedy with the boost controller?

Old 07-05-2012, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by alpine003
I'm a bit confused. I thought the VR turbo kit was an already tuned out of the box system ready to go. Am I missing something here or did you get greedy with the boost controller?
Softronic has to do a ECM Reflash, you or Vivid does it over the internet on a laptop. I purchased the kit and had a shop out of state where I was living do the install but they had issues, the shop didn't have a dyno to check the car as we experimented with ECU Flashes. I think I was running lean and I choice to drive the car and I think i damaged the head.

The Vivid Kit works perfectly fine, its just a lot easier if you ship your car to them and they dyno-tune it, they flash and play with the settings and get everything perfect on the dyno.

There is no "out of the box system", any major performance mod has to be dyno'ed and tweaked and tuned perfect.

The shop that installed it for me did a great job but they had no way of tuning the car. The best is to send the car to Vivid or if another shop installs it, they have to have a Dyno so you can Data-Log and fine tune the ECM.

Vivid really did a great job. And this time around I started from square one, rebuild the engine with ZERO MILES and then just went to town upgrading everything possible!

Old 07-06-2012, 02:47 AM
Originally Posted by brianlululu
awesome build man
Thanks, its been a long process.

1999 Porsche 911 C4 AWD VR996CT

1) Fully Rebuilt Engine w/APR Stud Kits for Head and Block.
2) New Cylinder Head
3) Vivid Racing VR996CT Turbo Kit (Precision 62mm Turbo, 60lbs Injectors, Turbosmart 40mm Wastegate, Turbosmart eBoost Controller)
4) AEM Water/Methanol Injection (50/50% Water & Methanol)/ Using 630cc Injector Nozzle.
5) AASCO Light Weight Flywheel
6) SACHS SRE Clutch
7) GT3 3rd Radiator
8) LN Engineering 160 Thermostat
9) LN Engineering Dual Row IMS
10) ROW M030 Suspension
11) 7mm & 15mm Wheel Spacers
12) Sparco EVO 2 Seats
13) Sparco 6 Point Harnesses
14) Vivid Racing Roll Cage
15) Factory Short Shifter
16) LED Tail-Lights
17) Clear Side Markers
18) Full JL Audio Stereo System
19) New Brake Booster
20) New Brakes
21) Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 Tires
22) AEM Air/Fuel/Boost Gauge
23) AEM Water/Methanol Gauge
24) Repainted Car
25) Refinished Wheels
26) Factory Carbon Fiber Package
27) Factory Litronic HID Headlamps
28) Porsche Aluminum Racing Pedals

There is probably a ton of little stuff I missed, but I think I have one of the most modified 3.4L in the country. A total sleeper!!!

In late July I will be posting Dyno-Sheets, 1/4 Mile Drag Slips and G-Tech Pro times. On paper we are expecting over 500HP at the crank, 0-60 in the low 4's and 1/4 miles times between 11.2-11.6. But will have to see what she does in real life!

I had thought about a Body Kit but after second thought I want her to look like a bone stock 3.4L so many are embarrassed at the ***-whopping handed to them. Only thing really left to do is Brembo Big Brake Kits Front and Rear.

Last edited by stephan_porsche; 07-08-2012 at 10:45 AM.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:10 AM
Been driving her for 2 days and it is blistering fast. Vivid has done another amazing job.

Here is some numbers:

387hp to the wheels (483hp at the crank)
348ft/tq to the wheels.

And this is WITHOUT Methanol. I have to break the engine in before spraying Methanol. Based on my boost and compression the Methanol on the LOW end will produce 30hp and 20ft/tq on the high end it can produce 50hp and 30ft/tq.

So well over 500hp at the crank.

The car is BRUTAL to drive! Way faster than a 3.6 TT with light-medium mods.

Attached Images      
Old 07-26-2012, 01:10 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Very NIce!

How do you get any traction in that thing?

I'd be interested to see how long your clutch, tranny, and engine hold up to all that power over the long haul since not too many people have run that much through a NA M96 motor before.

BTW, did you win the lotto or something? Seems like you have some serious money into that thing.

Old 07-26-2012, 03:02 PM
No Lottery, I just have a pretty good job and instead of buying a $120K-$160K Porsche, I built the same for around $45K total (Car and Upgrades). My Clutch and transmission are fine, I have a Sachs SRE clutch rated to 500hp and 500ft/lbs and the M96 Transmission can handle 500hp.

Old 07-29-2012, 05:34 PM
Car is going to be featured in the September/October issue of 9Magazine (www.9magazine.com). Finishing up some last minute touches, added fire extinguishers and rolled up and zip tied the excess straps from the Sparco Harnesses.

Attached Images      

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Vr996ct